Handy Accessory Hub Winch for a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Handy Accessory Hub Winch for a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:05 pm:

Here's a slick unit for guys who use thier T's off road. It also doubles as a hub puller. Most guy's carrier a hub puller on board the car, why not also have the ability to pull yourself out of a rut all vested in one tool? The unit is 5" in diameter and 2.25" deep. It is made of cast iron and is nickel plated. I think this would make a great repop,say in cast aluminium, what's your opinion??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:29 pm:

I think it would be 'interesting' to try to make it work. I suppose that it can only work when the rope is trying to tighten the 'puller' on its thread. If you attach it to the right side rear wheel, then you would press the reverse pedal and the wheel would spin (in snow etc) and you could pull the car backwards with the rope going aft.
But to work on the left side wheel, you would have to press the low gear pedal to spin the left wheel forwards......which would pull you backwards if the rope goes aft, or forwards if the rope goes forward!
I don't think I would use it as a hub puller because it doesn't seem to have the thread clamp which I presume Ford found to be essential when they made the stock hub puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:12 pm:

All you have to do is wind the rope the other way, Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:55 pm:

They probably sold a few of those back when. The address on the add (322-24 Hennepin Ave. was pretty much in or near the area of Automobile Row in Minneapolis at that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:13 pm:

Neat, thanks for showing it. . Can't imagine having need for one, though. My puller has a thread crimper, and a big bolt for putting pressure on end of axle before hitting it.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:49 pm:

The screw in the middle is in the wrong way. That is to keep from losing it when you are not using it as a hub puller. You need to have the screwdriver slot out. How it works is that you put it on the wheel, snug up the screw, hook one end of the rope to a solid spot on the car like the front axle, start the car, put it in gear and with the rope wrapped around the hubpull in the right direction to screw it on the wheel further, you pull on the rope to tighten the hubpuller. That lets the power of the engine pull the hub off the wheel. I dunno if it worked on T's but a similar device was pretty common in the oil patch when I roughnecked 40+ years ago. I'll bet more than one hog got dipped in the scalding barrel with one of these. It would sure beat pulling them up with a fence stretcher or just a rope and a couple guys pulling on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:53 pm:

After I looked at the picture again I see that they intend you to put a longer screw in place of the plug. Smart idea, that thing. Among the things I like about Model T's are the thousands of ingenious ways people found to make use of them, to improve them, to use parts off them, etc. Changed the world as they knew it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

To expand on what Stan said about the oil field device, they call them a "cat head" and they are still in use on a limited basis having been pretty much replaced by mechanical winches. With about 4 wraps with a 1 1/4" manila rope you can lift several hundred pounds with no effort. The bad part was there were many workers who "fouled" the rope and were sucked in with the loss of limbs or lives. But back to the Pillsbury device, it looks like it would work great if needed.
Gordon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:21 pm:

Stan,Sorry to say but scalding hogs might be the reason i cant spell? Im not shure but one Good Friday when i was about 10 we were butchering a hog and i tryed to pick a 5 gal pail of boilling water out of the kettle.Yup most of it went on my right foot and the month/months of school i missed was when they had phonices?? We used planks on saw horses and partually dug the barrell in on a slant so two men could scald the hog with a gamble stick by hand.Did Torvald have any more trouble with DR Nummnu$^+?? Nope,Never worked arround oil but that aint what we used to call those things? Question,Is Goat Vomit Green darker than shartrouse?? Stay Warm!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:36 pm:

In addition to a hub winch you could also get a belt pulley that would attach to a rear wheel to run farm machinery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 07:02 pm:

Steve my old dirt track racer has a pulley set-up up front of the riadator at a 90 degree angle, so after racing sat. nite Sunday Ma could wash the clothes, or grind feed for the pigs, cows, etc. or cut wood, and from the looks oif it it actually has a handle to pull behind the water pump to put it in neutral

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan Mason on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 07:17 pm:

I believe that a belt used to run equipment would simply climb up the side and off of this device. Belt pulleys are usually crowned in the center (i.e. the diameter at the center is greater than either edge). This crown keeps the belt on the pulley. Similar to the T fan pulley, when the center wears flat the fan belt will "walk" off the front or back of the pulley. I have salvaged a fan pulley using a lathe and file to put the crown back in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:15 pm:

A club member recently gave me a belt pulley that is still on a 21 inch demountable wheel.Really neat rig.
If the hub pull is reproduced I would like to have 1 in cast iron please!:>)
So I can actually use it if need be!
I wonder if 1 was made for the TT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 12:15 am:

Bud. 1. Torvald and Einar are so busy working on their race car -- which they hope to have done this summer or late spring -- that Torvald hasn't had time to worry about Dr. Nummnutts and high school starting this fall. 2. Goat Vomit Green is lighter than Olive green but a little darker than "Shartrouse."

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration