Gas Cap Vent

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Gas Cap Vent
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers HB on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:28 pm:

I am looking for some suggestions on how to prevent gas from leaking out the small vent hole in my gas cap. I have a '12 Torpedo with a brass gas tank cap. The vent hole is very small but gas spills out on the paint. I placed a plastic disc inside the cap to prevent spilling out during transport in my trailer but I'm still getting some spillage while driving with it removed. It helps to remember to take it out. Don't ask me how I know!
Appreciate any suggestions on how to fix it and what has worked for others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:05 pm:

You can look at mine, Gene. . Had the same problem on left hand turns with more than 3/4 tank. . I filled the tank, and drilled a tiny hole top center. . I then JB'd a 2" long small brass pipe over the hole, nearly vertical. . I sealed the hole in the cap and put on an O ring. . It's not pretty or original, but it works.

Springdale Hardware has the pipe.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:09 pm:

The original 1926 - 1927 cap had a brass plate soldered across the botton area with a small hole in that out of line with the upper hole. Gas never came out the upper hole and drained back out in the tank of that small chamber area.

That plate is missing from the repro caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Surf City Gene on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:42 pm:

Yes, I like the idea of creating a chamber area under the cap for splashed gas to accumulate and then drain out vice coming out of the top.
Ralph, I don't understand your setup and mine must look pretty.... you sealed up the hole in the cap?
BTW.. In the pic you posted it doesn't show very well that we may have been passing on the Right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:18 pm:

Saved you the trip over, Gene. .

It looks like there's been some spillage around the vent, but I never smell anything. . I usually manage to spill with the vapor recovery nozzles we have here.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 06:48 pm:

Just out of curiosity, where is the gas tank vent on a 27 Tudor? (cowl tank).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 07:26 pm:

Dennis,

The only vent I know of in the cowl tanks is in the gas cap. Of course it has that collecting rim around the cap and the overfill line that goes through teh tank to carry spillage out under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 08:44 pm:

Here is a picture of an original gas cap with the hollow area and vent holes "out of line" and a crappy, yet shiny, repro gas cap with a single hole that lets the gas splash out the top.....Michael Pawelek
gas caps wefoihrofiqvhrogvhiq'orihgvq'r

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 08:50 pm:

I got one of the repo gas caps for my 1921, got the potmetal type. I will have to look for sure, but I think it has the splash gard. I will look when I get home from work and post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:38 pm:

I went out and looked at mine. I had forgot that it was the recesed style. There is no baffel in it. You might try cutting circle out of flat brass stock and sodier it in to place.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration