Atwater Kent question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Atwater Kent question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:48 pm:

I am checking the prices to get the cam gear made for the Atwater Kent LA dist. I see them on e-bay, the dist., with no cam gear all the time, or it's the same one that people get fustrated trying to find the missing gear. I am looking to get 20 made at this time and would like to get some feedback. Depending on the final cost thay would be from $38 to $45 selling price.
Thanks
MarkG and Nellybell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Boyers on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:34 pm:

Sounds like a reasonable price considering that some others run double that or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:38 pm:

Doesn't Chaffin sell them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:44 pm:

Rick I thought he did,or at least they used to be in his catalog. I found a guy with new ones at Chickasha a few years back,but he wasn't going to make anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:51 pm:

from Chaffinsgarage.com

AKGS-1 Gear Set For Atwater Kent Front Plate Distributor, Angled Neck 45.00

AKGS-2 Gear Set For Atwater Kent Front Plate Distributor, Vertical Neck 60.00

I would think the LA clipon would use the same gears. . Glen, you there?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:29 pm:

I think the gear for the front plate might have a neck on them and is pined on. The gear for the LA is a push fit on the dist shaft and slip fit on the cam about the same size as the Bosch clipon with less teeth. When I was looking for the cam gear I did contact a lot of people, including Lang's, but no one had them. I think if the front plate type would have worked they would have suggested using them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:28 pm:

The AK front plate gears will not work with the clip on distributors. Mark is correct- the distributor shaft gear is a press fit- 5/16" shaft if I recall, and the drive gear has a 9/16" bore to fit on the cam- I have seen them with and without a keyway to engage a pin in the cam. Both gears have no hub on them.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

Well, the Chaffin cam gear has to be good; I have a couple of them. . Seems like you could make a reducer to fit the Chaffin gear to the A-K clipon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DMC on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:08 am:

Ralph- the front plate gears are 14 teeth- the clip on gears are 15 teeth and larger diameter.
Trust me.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:41 am:

Oh, it's not smart to disagree with a top machinist, huh, Dan? I was thinking of using both front plate gears. . Guess they would not be close enough to gether to mesh.

rdr

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration