Need to get parts nickel plated. Recommendations?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Need to get parts nickel plated. Recommendations?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:18 am:

Good morning.

I am ready to send my 1926 Fordor parts off to be bright nickel plated. In this day in age, with e-mails and ease of sending off pictures for estimates, it is no longer necessary to use local platers anymore, so I can basically send my parts anywhere in the country.

Any help any of you can provide in recommending good platers who do quality work at a reasonable prices, that you were very satisfied with, would be much appreciated. If you can provide their phone numbers and e-mail addresses and name of a contact, that would be a great help as well.

If we get a lot of responses on this thread, this could be a good resource for others to refer to in the future when in need of plating.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:09 am:

Jim
I used Custom Metal Finishing in Hagerstown,In.765-489-4089 I would recommend them to anyone to get nickel plating done. They did my 26 radiator shell for $250. The job was excellent.
I was getting prices from $500-$750. If you send your parts out UPS and tell them it's a commercial address you can get a cheaper shipping rate. I built a wood box for my shell and the cost was $25. I will post a picture of the shell later today about them.
Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:02 pm:

Make sure who ever you send it to does old fashioned nickel plating. The nickel a regular chrome shop puts on gets dull real fast, and doesn't hold up well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 02:17 pm:

Thanks Larry. You are right. You should always specify "Bright Nickel". Thanks again. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:48 pm:

Jim, I don not know where you are but I have had great luck with D&S Metal Restoration, 102 Cabot St, Holyoke, MA 01040-6074. 413-533-7770.Guy's name is Mickey DuPuis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:15 pm:

Thanks Bill.

I'll give D&S a call tomorrow. I'm in Bartow, Florida, which is between Orlando and Tampa, but I will send my parts anywhere in the U.S. to get a good job, at a reasonable price, so, if anyone has a good plater to recommend, no matter where you are, please post it.

Thanks again.

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:00 am:

Jim I gave you one. They were at the Centennial.I will use them for all my plating work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 08:36 am:

Good morning Leon. Yes, I called them yesterday and got an e-mail and sent them pictures of my parts and am now awaiting a reply and an estimate. Thanks much. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:07 am:

I just had 23 lug nuts and 5 hub caps chrome plated (lasts longer) for $166. I thought that was a little pricey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:32 am:

Christensen Plating, in Huntington Park California is where I had mine done. Been done now for 5 years now. I only need to wipe it off with a soft cotton rag once in a while. It may be in Vernon, California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:10 am:

Thank you for the three recommendations I have gotten so far, but it seems like, out of all our members, nationwide, who, at some point have had dealings with platers, we could get more than three recommendations. Does anyone else have any platers they can recommend? The more we can get, the more we can all benefit because most all of us, at some point, need to find good platers for our parts. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:25 am:

Pictures of the 26 radiator shell done by,
Custom Metal Finishing
9705 State Rd. 38
Hagerstown, In 47346
765-489-4089
I highly recommend them for bright nickel work. I will be using them for all my plating work.
Leon Parker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:52 am:

Thanks Leon. That is fantastic!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry McConville on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

Jim,
I used Atlas Plating (ask for Alex)three years ago for a '26 shroud and got a great job done for $220.00 which included shipping. Looks as good today as it did when I first got it back. I just had another done two months ago and the price was the same as was the quality.
Jerry Mc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:31 pm:

Thanks Jerry. Can you give me Atlas Plating's address and phone number? That is a great price for a radiator shell. Paul's Plating quoted me $1,700.00 to nickel plate a Model T radiator shell! Ha! I'm sure Paul's does a great job and all, but COME ON! That is why this thread could be a useful future reference to us guys that don't have bottomless pockets, so everyone, please send more recommendations. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:52 pm:

Gents,

Rather than communicating off forum, I and I am guessing others would appreciate it if you could put the contact information including the city and state of these places on the forum. For instance, I got many hits when I Googled Atlas Plating and they are in many different states.

While I am fortunate to know a great powder coater, I am no longer aware of the good platers in my area of Michigan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

Yes, Tom. Atlas, Acme, A-1, AA and AAA are very popular names because those names put the companies in easy to find locations at the front of the phone book or at the beginning of long on-line lists, so there are thousands of businesses with these names. Thanks. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry McConville on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:35 am:

Jim,
Sorry to all about posting off line, my mistake.
Atlas Plating
8303 Bauman Rd
Houston, Tx 77022
(713)697-3134
atlaschrome@yahoo.com
I have had great luck with these guys for a few years now. A "T" shroud was (maybe still is) running around $220.00 including shipping to the Chicago area.
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:59 am:

Thanks Jerry. I am e-mailing them pictures today of my parts for a ballpark estimate. Jim

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration