Alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:03 am:

I am looking for information and opinions.My radiator neck was out of line with the outlet on the head by about 1",it appeared to be caused by a sag in the frame at the left side motor mount, well, we took the sag out and now the hood no longer lines up,in order to line it up i would need to 1.push the frame back down,2.raise the frame on the right side.3. take the frame to a shop and have it realigned the first two options will mis-align the radiator and cause an offset in the hose and a strain on the radiator which is a new Brassworks. This is a 24 Fordor. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 12:36 pm:

Had same problem with the ol' brass picup. Had to put a half inch shim under the right motor mount to lift that side. The pan is cracked and warped.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:37 pm:

All these measurements should be done on a level floor. Are you sure the frame has sagged, or is the radiator off center? Maybe you need to shim up the front of the body on one side. The frame should measure the same diagonally from front to rear each side. Then be the same height from side to side. The mag post should be the same distance from the frame on each side. The top of the radiator where support rod is attached should be same distance from each front corner of the frame. Might need to turn down the nut on one side and loosen the nut on the other side to accomplish this. If all these measurements are correct, then measure the center of the body where the support rod goes to the frame at the same location on each side. If it is centered, the hood should be straight. Next if the hood is farther front at the bottom than the top, the frame has sagged in the middle or body has sagged in front. If it is only a little bit, try raising the body and shim it up to get the hood straight. Then work back and raise or lower the body in such a way that each door fits. All this takes work. Maybe the factory didn't have to do all this, but then they were working with new straight parts. It has been said, that even the new cars didn't always fit just right, but***I can't remember that far back. In the 50's they didn't always fit either.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:57 pm:

I bet someone replaced the front crossmember in your Model T at one time... Many people don't realize there is a slight difference in the TT front crossmembers, and although they fit just fine, installing one will cause exactly the same kind of alignment issue as you are describing... Generally a 1" to 1+1/2" mismatch of the radiator inlet and cylinder head outlet connections.
-Adam Doleshal
Adam's Antique Auto Parts, LLC
P.S. I have used front crossmembers in stock...

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration