Advice regarding flywheel bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Advice regarding flywheel bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:29 am:

What tool do you folks use for the flywheel bolts, the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft? I do not have a 5-Z-210 wrench, will a modern crow foot socket fit? Is there a recomended torque?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lum on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:51 am:

11/16 offset combo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 12:14 pm:

It is a little too cold (-17F actual outside temperature in sunny Peoria, Illinois) to go out to the shop to check right now, but...I believe I use Craftsman 3/8 inch drive sockets. Use the 11/16 socket, with an extension. If you rotate the crank assemblly just right, the extension will clear the rear main and you can use a torque wrench.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 12:35 pm:

i use a modified 11/16 socket, 3/8 drive and a short exstension. i have ground the outside wall of the socket a little thiner so it fits in there ok. its now kept seprate with special model t tools that i have made or modified. yes you do have to move the crank to get to each one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

My 11/16" Craftsman socket fits with a standard Craftsman 1/2" drive breaker bar, no extension, no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 01:25 pm:

My 11/16" Craftsman socket fits with a standard Craftsman 1/2" drive breaker bar, no extension, no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 02:37 pm:

Thanks, Royce. I was wondering what the question was about, since I've never had a problem there. I happen to have an old Craftsman set.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 06:37 pm:

Cheap torque wrench with an extension is all I used...I went in through the pan opening. The reason I had to undo one of the bolts was to get the 3rd bearing out. I think I torqued it to 64ft-lbs after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:45 pm:

A big difference between quality sockets and cheap sockets is their thickness. . You won't find stronger, thinner sockets than Snapon. Bought what I needed for MGTD and VW some 50 years ago, and still have most of them. . They're a bargain for a young man..

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:29 am:

When I worked at a large Pontiac dealer in Chicago in the early '60's, most of the mechanics used snap-on tools exclusively, EXCEPT, most of them used SK brand ratchets, because the SK ratchets had the very smoothest and finest acting ratcheting action and were very durable. By the way, I'll bet not many people nowdays have even heard of SK tools, and fewer yet know that "SK" stands for Sherman & Klove. (two pieces of worthless trivia, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:28 am:

I have several extra Ford Z flywheel bolt wrenches if anyone is interested in one for their tool box. If so, send me an e-mail- dmcgears@yahoo.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:05 am:

I own a couple of SK tools that I had to pick up for one reason or another. The local auto parts place carried them. Nice to know about the Sherman & Klove part because I always jokingly referred to the brand as "Skinned Knuckles" although I admit I never had that happen while using that brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:08 am:

Williams was good and so was Proto.While being expensive up front Snap On was a good investment because everything was replaced NO Questions and the truck would come to you.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:36 am:

Back in the 1970's we had a truck that came to the airport once a week selling Ingersoll, Proto, S-K and KD. We also had a Matco truck, a Cornwell truck, and of course the Snap On truck.

The Ingersoll / Proto / KD / S-K truck quit coming around 1980 or so. Cornwell quit in the mid 1990's. I think the others are all still active companies but at this time only Snap On comes every week.

I bought a couple thousand bucks worth of Snap On tools and a $3000 Snap On tool box ("tamale wagon") prior to 1985. The same tools today would cost at least $25,000. Used empty Snap On boxes like mine regularly fetch $5500 on Ebay.

Snap On continues to replace anything that breaks or wears out free of charge even though many of my tools are 30 years old. I bet I've broken the 4-40, 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32 taps twice each. My Snap On 3/8" ratchet was rebuilt several times, then they gave me a new one. Definitely good value for the professional mechanic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:03 am:

I own a lot of SK tools. I sold them at all my True Value stores. I just gave my son a roll-away full of SK that I have had for years. My old Craftsman are pretty good. The new Crapsman are just that. I now go cheap, Harbor Freight and they are not bad for the price. I only buy screwdrivers from the Snap-On man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

Here is another old time American brand: Thorson. I still have the set of 3/8 drive sockets and ratchet I got for Christmas when I was in high school. They were good tools for the money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 06:20 pm:

My 1/2" drive sockets and also all of my combination end wrenches are Williams brand that I've been using for nearly 40 years and have never had a problem with any of them.
Gordon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:40 pm:

I've been picking up Thorson and other good wrenches at the local pawn shop. You will be surprised what you can come across there.
Noel

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration