California T Drivers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: California T Drivers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 05:41 pm:

I discovered a way to eliminate one of the sticker tabs the state gives us for our PYR stickers, (formerly YOM). The first thing I do is paint the plate black. I let it dry a day, and then applied the month and year stickers side by side, VERTICALLY. They can be seen just fine, and it eliminates the second plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 06:47 pm:

Larry,

You mean like this? I thought they sent me 2 tabs by mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Iversen on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:07 am:

Maybe it's a relic of irresponsible times when I couldn't resist a beer or glass of wine, with lunch, on the road, and preferred not to be painfully waylaid by public safety reps. but my four CA YOM's are displayed as instructed by the dept. of grief. Recently, I was pulled over by a keen-eyed blackn'white because, to try and keep a left fender mounted CA permanent plate from being wiped off my T hauler, I had taken the non-law abiding leap to shear off a fraction of an inch, from the left and then the right, for balance (outside the white outline as can be viewed in Alex's plate post). The officer, like the DMV employee who couldn't accept that I had lucked out, beyond reasonable expectation, to acquire a set of of near flawless '16 plates with lead Grizzly tags, attested to a philosophy now apparently held by many that you can buy anything off EBay these days. Year and month on separate tags or one. Neither are original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:44 am:

Hmm, I just got a ticket, mailed to me. It has taken some time to figure out the officer's handwriting, but it boils down to my wife's car not having the current sticker on it. Turns out she forgot to tell me they came, so they're still sitting here in the house. Now I was 80 miles from home when this guy saw me. I remember him tailing me for a while, then passing me. If he'd just pulled me over and told me about it, I'd have fixed it. Now waiting to hear how much this will cost me. I didn't know they could do this by mail, with no personal involvement!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:36 am:

Alex: No, I have mine vertically. They don't overlap, and no, the DMV didn't send you two tabs by mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:03 pm:

Sticker's...we don't need no stinking sticker's!! I refuse to stick these on my YOM plates so I carry them in the car. I have had countless police cars ride behind me without having the stickers on my plates without being pulled over. I think the police have better things to do then pull some old fart in a ancient car over for lack of a reg. sticker!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:02 pm:

New Jersey finally simply gave up on stickers period......

They were nice to begin with, no stickers required for antique plates...but on regular plates?

Too many were putting them on in the wrong places, or upside down, etc. causing the local yokels to find something to do to just tick people off...and a State that is normally a pain in the arse on most things finally said....

THIS WHOLE PROGRAM IS ONE ROYAL PAIN...and canned the whole sticker idea!

There IS a bad side to this however....drive in any other state? The old stickers are permanently glued to old plates. Out of state local yokels seem to feel it is worthy to stop a Jersey driver whose last 'sticker' was 06 or so.......grrrrrrrrrrrr....then they don't seem to understand, but get confused enough to not try and issue a ticket on seeing the actual registration. Still a pain in the arse....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 02:04 pm:

In Tenn you get a one time antique plate, no stickers,no annual fee.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:14 am:

Rick, same in Missouri. We can also run YOM plates on the same basis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:10 pm:

The Horseless Carriage plates in California were originally permanent too, until the liberals decided antique cars should have to pay a luxury tax, or some B.S. like that. So now we have to pay a yearly fee, just like everything else. What scares me is, on a recent tour, I noticed 10% of the cars didn't have proper license plates. Some day they are going to start getting nasty with use about doing that sort of thing. I am going to go by the rules, at least for now. The plates I'm speaking of are the current issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

Larry if your 80 or 90 year old car "IS" registered and "IS" insured and you have the stickers on board that's close enough for me. If your YOM plates are current the officer knows by onboard computer in his car that your paid-up for road use tax. Think of it as a protest against liberal left coast B.S. by not mounting your tags where instructed to!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:30 pm:

I'm in Central California, and have mine the way Alex does: I found paint that matched my '15 plate, painted the one tab yellow, and was able tofit both stickers on the one tab. It looks okay. I think I could drive around town with no plates and not get bothered, here in Fresno. Back when I lived on the coast, in Oakland, it would have been different. I'll bet MORE than 10 percent of the modern cars out here have no tags, expired tags, etc. My T costs more to register each year than all my other vehicles, due to the YOM plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 02:16 am:

Darn
You guys are scaring me. My T has 14 plates on it but neither I or my uncle ever bothered to register them as YOM plates. The current horseless carrige plates have been long lost but the original horseless carraige plates (issued in the 50's) are still under the back seat. I guess I should go to my favorite state office and make things legal....but I dread going to DMV for any reason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 02:38 am:

Your government is at work and you will not escape their efforts to be what they are. If you are simply trying to have a nice day and showing your car to people for free in order to teach them and inform them of times gone bye, the jerks will screw you 'till the your blood runs in the gutters and your car turns to rust so they can crush it because of its carbon foot print. Look up the Sierra Club and wish them a happy middle finger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 02:50 am:

Same here Rick, YOM plate cost $11.10 to transfer to a permanent plate for the life of the plate. No annual fees or taxes...ever.I feel after 84 years this vehicle has paid it's dues.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Iversen on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:36 am:

These CA registration/plate threads always hold my attention. Everyone desires the least painful course concerning the regs. Jay's outright dismisal is tempting. Many of us are well enough set to dismiss fix-it ticket costs but belligerance can ultimateley impose repressive cost to others less able to cope with penalty. I think Mr. Sanders summed it nicely: after ----years this vehicle has paid its dues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:25 am:

I also live in Northern California and have only once been stopped for not displaying license plates. I run without plates at all, except an original plate on the 26 pickup like what Jay does. I do carry them under the seat in case I am stopped. So far so good. I figure the cops in Folsom know me by now.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration