A $63,800 "1918" Hack???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: A $63,800 "1918" Hack???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:33 pm:

I love the Barrett-Jackson auction and I am totally amused when I see something like this sold for big bucks.. It's a 26 motor without a whole lot of stock items, certainly looks like a great driver but not a museum piece. Or am I missing something??
What's my hack worth??? Hummm...
Steve

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/search.aspx?st=1&aid =283&d=01/15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:40 pm:

I think there's something wrong with the link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:12 pm:

Looks like the B-J site is running very slow. Here is a picture of the T in question B-J 1918 hack My Hack And here is mine.. The $63K one is very nice but is a 1918 with a 26 motor, distributor, alternator & modern hose clamps worth all that money?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:19 pm:

I told you so......

P.T. Barnum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:22 pm:

A fool and his money are soon parted.-- Mark Twain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

So... I guess I wasn't missing something about this "1918" hack... I think I'll list mine for $50K on Craigslist right now while the market is hot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:42 pm:

Steve,

It was probably bought by one of those Wall Street whizzes who got us into our current mess and needed something of more value than cash to put his bailout bonus into.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Watt on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:19 am:

This is an unbelievable price.
A wonderful looking vehicle but I think most of us have seen as good or better and certainly ones that are more original.
Barrett Jackson has a name and some great marketing technique that obviously work.
Even with all the beautiful Ts out there I doubt there is one worth that amount of money, maybe one worth about half that and that would have to be one special T
Do you think it might be a misprint? I just cant believe someone would pay out that kind of money for a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:46 am:

Nope, Not a misprint. When they went live last night, it was the current highest priced car of the day! And think, to get the price that high, there had to be TWO misinformed folks bidding on it! I would like to know who the loser was, I'll contract with him and build him a "1918" Hack for $60K.. I am sure I can find at least one part with a 1918 pat. date to make it authentic.. What a bargin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rambo on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:53 am:

Do you think there was a shill in the wood pile there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 02:11 pm:

Shills are going to be pretty obvious at any live auction, particularly Barrett Jackson, what with every bid being registered and attributable to a bidder number. Methinks Mr Rambo knows not what he says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill leahy on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 02:42 pm:

actually, "a fool and his money are soon parted" was first said by thomas tusser (1524-1580). it certainly seems to apply in this case

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:01 pm:

From the B-J Web Site on this "1918" - A complete, total restoration and is ready to show or tour. An updated 1926 engine has replaced the original engine as it provides for additional benefits. It has 176cid/20bhp 4 cylinder engine with a 2-speed manual transmission with reverse. The Model T was introduced in 1908 and remained in production in much of the same design for 19 years. During this time period, 15 million Model T's were produced. Every effort has been made to retain the vehicle's original authentic appearance while incorporating a few modern day items to provide safety and dependability. The solid oak and walnut body of the Depot Hack is based on measurements, patterns, construction methods and materials taken from original plans and examples. It has the original roof construction which includes the use of burlap, cobra vinyl, wood slats, etc. The restoration was completed using every method available to as closely duplicate the original as possible, right down to the latches, fasteners and hardware. The craftsmanship of the woodwork on this body is superb. The attention to detail and finish is hard to find nowadays. The vehicle has a modern day distributor, electric starter and an improved flow water pump. There are also electric headlights, turn signals as well as brake lights and new Hickory spokes on all wheels. The quality of workmanship on the vehicle is second to none; its appearance speaks for itself. This vehicle will definitely be a head turner at any show. For the seasoned collector or novice, this vehicle would make a fantastic addition to any collection.

MotorRear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Shebley on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:10 pm:

Me thinks the rich folks have more of our money than they know what to do with.....

Geo. - Ore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 04:58 pm:

Dang, you could get a pretty nice Packard for that kind of dough.

Phineas T. Barnum insisted that he never said that famous quote, but at this point he's stuck with it. Considering the much larger population now than in Barnum's time, I'm sure we're up to at least two a minute now. This discussion brings to mind another quote, by W.C. Fields: It is morally wrong to let a sucker keep his money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rumbo on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 05:17 pm:

Royce, Just typed that to see which expert chimed in first. Rumbo :o) But the more things change the more things stay the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 06:30 pm:

When i first considered a model t, i had no idea how inexpensive they were until i looked into it. Most folks i talk to that are not in the hobby think 40-50k easy for a model t.

Lets all raise our prices together starting tomorrow. :-)

vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 08:47 pm:

All of that money and they couldn't put a straight exhaust manifold on it. Look at the gasket instead of rings and glands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:10 pm:

They just sold a plain jane 57chev for $150,000. Were are these people when I want to sell a car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:21 pm:

"Baby Boomers" with way too much disposable income.
I'm beginning to think that every 57 Chevy on the planet has been "restored".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:39 pm:

Here's one in Myrtle Point, Oregon.
Ready for restoration:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 05:57 am:

You guys don't know a bargain when you see one, if we had bought the Depot Hack for $63,800 it would cost us $100,000 Australian dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 02:16 pm:

By Steve Jelf on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 04:58 pm:
"Dang, you could get a pretty nice Packard for that kind of dough."

More than likely not at Barret Jackson:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 06:43 pm:

Hey Rick, that's gotta be worth , Hmmm weeeell $75,005- at least !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

I was at the B-J auction on Thursday and personally inspected this truck. This Model TT truck had one of the nicest wooden bodies I've ever seen in my life, and the car was immaculately restored. All that being said, I can't imagine purchasing a Model TT truck for that money! I just hope the truck doesn't have a 7:1 rear end ratio, because it will be embarrassing to not be able to drive over 25 mph for that money!!!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration