Been Lost?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Been Lost?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:07 pm:

After getting lost on the back roads of northern Illinois a couple of times, I swore to keep a compass or GPS in or on the car. . Found this one today. . The only purpose I can think for the pin is to attach it to a canvas canteen cover or something.. Any ideas on its origin?

I'm going to mount it on the dash of the ol' brass picup to replace the cheesy Chinese repro there now.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:11 pm:

RD,

Those were for hunters to pin to their coats when going into the woods. Everyone here in Michigan used to have them way back.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Metz on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:15 pm:

Ive got one of those compasses that my Dad gave me maybe 39 years ago. He told me that you used the pin to go into your boot laces, so that when you were hunting, you could just look down to see where you were going and not have to put down your rifle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Metz on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:16 pm:

Tim

If you pinned it to your coat, it would usually point to your rifle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:29 pm:

Just like the one I have from the '60's, its still pinned on my insulated hunting jacket, don't wear that one in FL much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 11:37 pm:

Great stuff Gent's.!! Respectfully and appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:01 am:

Your right Tim,just rember to keep the gun away from it if you want to know which way!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:19 am:

I got gypped. The liquid is gone, and I paid ten times that much...

Thanks, guys, for the info.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:18 am:

Up here in Minnesota, the hunters used a Norwegian compass. It consisted of a Copenhagen Snus can with a mirror in the bottom. Doesn't tell you where to go, just shows you who's lost.<grin>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john b joyce on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:37 pm:

That one is mfd by Marbles who made pocket hatchets, gun cleaning rods etc. I've had one foe 40 years and it still works. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 05:32 pm:

Warren, Good thing about carrying a Norwegian compass, is that you get to enjoy a whole tin of Cope before you figure out that your lost.

And,as my grampa Osmund, always said "I'm Norwegian enough, I don't need to eat lutefisk to prove it"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Cornelius on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:48 pm:

When lost in South Dakota, us Norwegians always find a Swede who's also lost and travel in the opposite direction! Works every time!

Gerald Cornelius
Watertown, SD

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration