Making new hood shelves - Pictorial

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Making new hood shelves - Pictorial
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:05 am:

I'm the shadetree mechanic here in Arizona, but I don't have a tree. The hood shelf bolts on my car were rusted in there, and I decided to sacrifice the hood shelves so I could get a grip on them and save them. They were made from hard maple. Once I cut new boards to the correct dimensions:

shelf1

I clamped them vertically in a drill press to drill the relief for the front firewall bracket with a 1" forstner bit. Since they are mirror image it was possible to drill both at the same time.

shelf2

Finshed with that operation.

shelf3

Next I nibbled away the remaining wood on a router table with a straight bit.

shelf4

John Regan came through for me and gave me the dimensions of the curved relief that provides room for the firewall bracket. I accomplished that with a drum sander.

shelf5

Rounded off one side with a 1/4" round over bit, and the front with a 1/2" round over bit. And the finished product:

shelf6

I am waiting to drill the holes until after the frame and fender alignment is taken care of. Nice to have a good day in the workshop.

Ward
Sierra Vista, AZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 06:56 am:

Ward,

Thanks for posting and great looking wood work. From your profile that is a neat looking 1911 Model T. And the other car that snuck into the edge of the picture reminds me a 1930-31 Model A Ford, but there is not enough for me to see to know one way or the other. Looks like you have posted a few times before but I would still like to say “Welcome aboard!” Be sure to check out the nearest local Model T club (see: http://mtfca.com/MTclubs.htm and also http://mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm which has fewer clubs but seems to have more web sites listed.)

While you have them out, you might want to jot down the dimensions. You shouldn’t need them again for that car but they might be helpful to someone else in the future.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:12 am:

Yes, that is one of several A's that I have. Now it is time for getting the T road worthy. It is basically a "survivor" car, and I am in the process of re-doing some of the clunky repairs that have been accomplished by previous owners. Now that I have said "clunky", I hope none of the previous owners frequent this forum. Probably not, because from the history that I do have, most of the previous work was from the early 50s. I wish I had enough T knowlege to contribute answers for someone else, but for now, all I have are questions.

Ward in AZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:09 am:

Ward,

Thanks for confirming it was an A wheel. And by the way, you already have contributed in several ways: Giving a T a good home. Posting how you made the hood shelves. And I know you'll do great at helping others now and in the future. We all have something we can contribute from questions, answers, pictures, thoughts, care, encouragement, a ride (I've never seen a school kid turn down a ride yet. Let me see, I can sit in class or I could go for a ride in an old car....ok maybe it is rigged a little in my favor), etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration