Off Subject (Coooooold Morning)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Off Subject (Coooooold Morning)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:35 am:

-3 degrees Central Tennessee?

How about you?

Harvey .........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:39 am:

-8 Albany NY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:01 am:

-16 in Upland, Indiana, but at least the wind has died down. Heck, Stan Howe would have to put on a jacket if he was here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:04 am:

I'm in Des Moines this morning, -11. Yesterday,
-22 in Dennison IA. As my small children would say, "sick and wrong".

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:20 am:

About three hours ago, it was a balmy +5 in St. Louis. Apparently a heat wave has moved in. It's now shot up to +10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:23 am:

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heat wave from St. louis!!!! -3 here now in beautiful Linton, IN the birthplace of Phil Harris!!!!

Going for a high of 16....whoopeeeee!

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:30 am:

Al Gore should be happy, his efforts are paying off. He has made a heat pump which pushes all the heat to California. It has been in the 70's and 80's here, much warmer than the usual cold rainy January. No rain or snow here so far this month.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:44 am:

-2.7 here at some point last night according to the memory in the digital thermometer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Longstreet on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:45 am:

Anyone trying to start their Model T in that weather? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:48 am:

40 degrees below freezing in SE Iowa at 6AM. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:05 am:

-11 here in Guersey County, Ohio.
I have a wood stove in the basement that gravity feeds up stairs, had it 116 Degrees down there last night. Had a big load of hard old hedge in .

greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:17 am:

-7 In Monroeville and Braddock PA this morning.(Friday)
It is supposed to be +19 on Saturday.
Is that too cold to transport a Model T on a flatbed transporter?
Howard- 1925 Roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:46 am:

Well, here in the Sierra foothills, it was 53 at 7:00, now it has dropped to 52 at 7:45. Brrrr..
better toss another log on the fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:47 am:

Colder than a well digger's shovel in North Dakota here in taxes, woops,in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:50 am:

86 with 86% humidity. Typing wearing shorts and nothing else.

Where? On my boat in Bocas del Toro off the north west coast of Panama, Latitude 9 degrees north.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:53 am:

Thanks Neil, I needed that :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo Calgary on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:06 pm:

It is almost 50 degrees F here in sunny Calgary Alberta this morning. When the Chinook winds come in over the Rockies it makes it nice here.
Neil, are you in the harbor at Bocas? If so say Hi to my friend Daniel there. We are headed for David on Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:35 pm:

33 Portland OR with sun. Will be taking Nellybell out for spin. Sorry about the cold you people have to suffer through. Keep warm the best you can. I am just glad I'am not standing on a wing, happy to be alive, in the middle of the Hudson river!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

17 last night...not used to this stuff. Tried to crank the black jeep this morning and she just growled.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:57 pm:

Minus 27 F at 8:00 am, now -16 F at 11:00 am. Same for yesterday, I still had a woodfire in my shop and worked on the '14 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:13 pm:

It was down to 41 this morning, so wore long pants and sweatshirt in the pre-dawn for the daily half hour hike with exercises. Was sweated by the time I got home.

Even a modest amount of exercise does great things: got an A+ from my Dr. after physical yesterday. Dunno if all the good coffee helps or hinders, but I'm not giving it up.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:14 pm:

-20 in utica (upstate ny) now the wind chill is kicking up and temp is up to 10 but feels like -30. yes, i went out and started 2 model Ts today. my 20 snowmobile, and my 20 TT depot, but i must confess, both cars have a warford trans and when you put them in nutrel they do start. it takes a good 15 min before you can get them into gear, but they started!! i can't wait for spring!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:56 pm:

-21 last night here in Southeastern Wisconsin. I keep my TT outside year round and I tried the starter yesterday afternoon at -6. It turned over pretty slow, but it did turn over. I can start it okay down to about zero, but much below that and chances aren't too good. By the way, I'm running a 6 volt battery, the wiring isn't the greatest, and I doubt the starter has ever been overhauled...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:58 pm:

+9 this morning at 5:00, now over 20, headed for above freezing later today and over 50 tomorrow. The nice thing about being here in the middle is that the really cold stuff doesn't usually stay long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 02:13 pm:

-24 in Albion, Maine at 6 am. Decided at 10 to go down a light my heater in the T space. Back inside for about an hour then to work on the T. In the garage it felt positively balmy, even took off my gloves. Then I looked at the thermometer which said to put my gloves back on, or using numbers, +25 ! So, I worked then huddled the heater, worked then huddled. Actually got stuff done. Just came up for lunch. -16 outside, + 40 by the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 02:49 pm:

72 degrees here in San Diego today! Right between short pants and long pants weather for a southern Californian. Tough decision :-) Sorry guys. . . .couldn't resist!

Off the deck of the USS Midway at 10:00 this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:15 pm:

Harry,

Will say hi to Daniel for you on the Monday morning VHF net. I am at Bocas Marina. I believe I have heard the name here.

Have fun in David. If you get to Bocas Town, look me up. The marina office knows were I am most of the time.

The highway is open now after the November flood. You can take a water taxi to Bocas from Almirante.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:29 pm:

minus 24 yesterday morning, +25 now in Pierre, SD. That's nearly a 50 degree change in 30 hours. It feels warm out after the recent cold snap!
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:33 pm:

"Colder than a mother-in-laws love". Rob, So you like our wonderful Iowa weather. Come back in July when it's 100 degrees and so humid it's like walking around in a wet blanket. We've got it all. It's home,what can I say. Well, gotta go bring in the brass monkeys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:06 pm:

Its so cold in Chicagoland that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets. -18 last night. Presently -8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:09 pm:

Ha Ha!! That joke is definitly older than me, maybe older than the Model T!! Good timing, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:10 pm:

Ha Ha!! That joke is definitly older than me, maybe older than the Model T!! Good timing, though.

image/bmp
untitled.bmp (47.5 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lewis R. Rash on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

Would now be the time to give Mother in law a ride in the mother in law seat???? 15.1 now in Southern Virginia on its way to single digits tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:52 pm:

LIZZIE'S REVENGE!
For the first time in probably 20 years, (15 in storage and 5 that I've owned it), Lizzie was left outside in the rain. Naturally, it had to be the coldest nights we've had here in Fla.
I guess I should have thought it's kind of like leaving my 80+ year old mother siting in the driveway for 2 days and nights and expecting her to be ready to go, but.......
I went to go get a hair cut yesterday morning with the intention of taking it to show my barber buddy and then put Lizzie back in my mom's garage, pick up my Explorer so I can get a water heater and get on with replacing that.
Well, Lizzie got even, I pressed the starter button and all I got was NOOOOOO........WAYYYYYY, 2 revolutions of the starter, the weak, old battery won't spin all that cold oil in the transmission.
I had to wait for my battery jumper thingy to charge up to see if it had the juice to spin that starter.

Lizzie is now warm and safe in her garage again under the loving supervision of my 88 year old mommy. (Having hot water again is nice too).
I don't know how America of the 20's made these things start with a crank in 20 below, but they did. I dont know how you guys up north do it either?
Of couse, I a "wuss", I've never lived in "snow country" in my life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:02 pm:

-37 below at 7 am, Grabbed the crank on the T, turned it and rolled the car over!!!LOL BRRRRRRRRRRR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:08 pm:

Was -13* here last night so don't forget about your outdoor pets. Mom and her two babies that she gave birth to midsummer stop in to clean up my bird feeding table just about everyday. Sometimes before the squirrels get their first. Bob

Deer feeding
squirrels feeding

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:13 pm:

-33F from 4am to 7am in St. Coud, MN this morning when I was outside fighting with gelled up diesel trucks that had to be up and running to deliver freight by 8am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:22 pm:

Thank goodness I dont have any diesels to get running in this weather.I think it was 15 here this morning,supposed to be colder in the morning.I couldnt get the shop quite as toasty today as useall.But I got it to about 53,good enough if you are active.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:28 pm:

Well for once I am not cold as it was a warm 27 here in Denver at 5:30am when I went to work and heated up to 59. I have the windows open in the house because I forgot to turn the thermostat down when I left for work!

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:43 pm:

-17 last night and I was out on the job at 3am on a coyote hunt. I spend lots of time outside and at night when it is the coldest, don't care too much as long as the wind isn't blowing. I don't like the nose bleeds that won't stop though. Fingers sting for a little while but then turn to wooden pegs that can't pick up anything.

A fun science project to do with the kids when it is this cold is to put a cup of water in the micro-wave and bring it up to temp. like really hot coffee--just below boiling but be carefull. Take it outside and throw the liquid in the air as far as you can...it will turn to vapor (steam) and no water will come back down. The water molecules are "excited" and moving fast so when they hit the sub zero temp. they just come apart. If you throw tap water in the air it will fall to the ground.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Peterson on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:48 pm:

-32 friday morning, in northern MN, was -40 monday morning tho, and the duramax fired up both days without being tied to a post(plugged in, for u city folks), ah crisp clear air, takes your breath away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:05 am:

7:30 PM thermometer's reading 75 with all the doors open, 4 miles east of Bob Bishop but in the heights. Last week it was in the 50's & now I've got a real nice cold.

Bob & Norm, Don't know if you'd seen the forcast but it's supposed to rain again this year for the Luncheon.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson (Aust) on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:45 am:

43C = 109.5F
in the shade, on my back Verandah yesterday.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 05:48 am:

31 below this morning in Great Village, Nova Scotia. thats -31F. Still don;t like that celcius stuff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 07:58 am:

Of course, it's the height of summer "Down Under".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:23 am:

Uh,it is 10 outside this morning.I aint as concerned about starting 1 of my T's as I am with getting myself started.This kind of weather makes the old chair and heater look more comfortable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:13 am:

Hey,there is a bright side!I just keyed in my zip code on Weather.com and it says this.
This Evening

None
Conditions not favorable for mosquitoes Sunday Evening

None
Conditions not favorable for mosquitoes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:40 pm:

68F on my porch at 8:39 AM about 35 miles east of Alex and Bob. The forcasters are not very accurate for 8 days in advance, but if it rains, come out to the luncheon anyway. It will be indoors. Unlikely the river will flood this time.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lewis R. Rash on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:04 pm:

zero point one (0.1) degrees in Southside Virginia. That's cold for us. I walked out on the pond - first time in 10 years could do that!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:35 pm:

You know,I went to the local Napa this morning and saw a big cloud of smoke on the horizon.I just relized it must be so cold that Algore is burning tires to stay warm!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:00 pm:

Central Ohio is a balmy +21 today after a positively nippy-Moscow-Siberian-Mommy-We're-In-Alaska -7 morning yesterday. My '24 Coupe said "No way I'm going outside!" though it was very sunny and quite pretty with snow on the ground. I tried the crank for fun and I made it about 2 turns of cement-mixer style cranking before I gave up. Wasn't this weather what closed cars are for?

The snow is that grainy stuff that blows away with the wind, not the "my roof's caving in" stuff that's real dense. Was able to clean off the driveway in advance of my '51 Crosley wagon being delivered as stablemate to my Coupe and other Crosley. Very cold, but it all worked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:22 pm:

I got this in am email.
Thirty years ago, when the "Tonight Show" originated

in New York City. Johnny came out for the monologue.

Johnny : "It's so cold up here !"

Crowd : "How cold is it ?"

Johnny : "It's so cold up here, that the

exhibitionists in Central Park are just describing themselves."

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration