WAY TO GO, SULLY

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: WAY TO GO, SULLY
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hester, Riverview, FL 36 touring on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:55 am:

(nm)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:22 am:

A true professional and hero.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:39 pm:

The media fails to mention he is a qualified glider pilot, as was the Captain of the Air Canada 767 that landed deadstick in Gimli, Manitoba, out of fuel.

Professionals all five of the crew, and a job well done. . The copilot has been totally ignored, but his work was vital, too. It takes teamwork. They even have a program and term for it: Crew Resource Management.

Unfortunately, the term "Hero" is badly overused by the media.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:43 pm:

Ralph, my daughter was a flight attendant with TWA (that tells you how long ago!) for three years. Her favorite bumper sticker read, "My job is to save your a*s, not kiss it!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:54 pm:

One of my coworkers is a glider pilot (& instructor). He mentioned some trials made with glider planes landing in water. They had experienced best results with the landing gears down? (no, no ice on the lake)
He thought the landing gear started the slow down in the water gently, yet without enough force to nosetip the glider. When belly landing on water, the gliders tended to go submarining almost immideatly, causing broken plexi & problems getting out.

For a big jetplane, other forces may apply?
When reading about the New York incident, I immedeatly thought about another lucky landing in 1991 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Airlines_Flight_751

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration