Filler Blocks for Rands Brass Windsield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Filler Blocks for Rands Brass Windsield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 02:50 pm:

I have old tubes and new hinges, but nothing else.

Lang's filler blocks are aluminum. Chaffin catalog doesn't say. Would aluminum be healthy inside the brass?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 02:58 pm:

I was wondering the same thing. Galvanic corrosion will eventually be a problem between these two metals, but it may take a very long time. I might coat the aluminum plugs with something prior to installation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 03:48 pm:

You can buy a lanolin containing grease at marine stores. One brand is Lanocote. I use it on my boat all the time to prevent corrosion between to different metals.

Nei

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 04:21 pm:

Iron filler plugs and brass tubes is a better combination. But, If you do use aluminum, it will corrode before the brass does and leave the brass intact. The grease sounds like a good idea to keep the joint dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john b joyce on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 05:27 pm:

Also a very good one @ pool supply stores called Jack's. Seems to be silicone-like but doesn't harden or wash away. Expensive but will take heat or cold . John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 05:45 pm:

Ralph,

I have a box of various cast iron windshield filler plugs. Come visit me in Fallbrook and see if you can find some filler's that will work. The price will be right....free if you do the digging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 05:50 pm:

Thanks, Les. I just may do that, enroute from the Sandy Eggo swap, if not sooner.

rdr

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration