Model F auction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Model F auction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:24 pm:

The Model F offered by RM Auctions must have gone off by now. Anyone heard what the final price was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:00 pm:

Its been a ride but I bought the F for $85K. I submitted a registration for a phone bid late and thought the car went off before it was processed. But I just now got the call and won the F. I planned on attending personally but was in an auto accident in Needles Ca and my trailer was totaled. I limped home just in time to register over the phone. Thanks to a couple friends who really helped me out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:05 pm:

85K and you were the winner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:07 pm:

Well you beat me to that! I hit post this message and it went to the forum and your message was there.
Congratulations on getting that car.
Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:29 pm:

Congratulations, and Condolences, Richard!

Were you taking the trailer to get the F even before you bid? Were you or anybody hurt? Trailers are treacherous beasts. . Like a mule, they'll kick you when you least expect.

Now, you'll have a dilemma: which car will you bring to the HME next year, the F, or your nifty 1910 Touring?

I'm calling Shotgun for part of the ride, if it's the F.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

Richard,

Sorry to hear about your accident I hope everyone is ok trailers can be replaced. And congratulations on your New Ford. It is beautiful! Im sure you can find lots of volunteers to store it for you if you need a little time to heal up before you go pick it up.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:53 pm:

Richard, can I call you a friend? That way I can say at coffee in the morning that a friend just bought a 100 year old used car for 85K.. Jerry

ps you need to post a picture of you with the new car on your profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roland T. on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:14 am:

I once bought a used T for $85.00 back in the 50's, and I thought that was expensive ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:08 am:

Post photos of car please.
Well,if you was on this side of the country I would look at the trailer and see if I could fix it but it is to far away!Sorry to read about your wreck.Tell us what happened,perhaps it may help us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:31 am:

Richard, hope you don't mind :-). Congratulations

This is a photo of Richard's new F, posted by RM auctions:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:04 am:

I googled this car and came accross a Liveauction dotcom or something to that effect and it caused my computer to lock down.
That is a neat car.But where is the hand crank?Will you be driveing this 1?
In these photos it allmost looks to perfect to be a real car.How do they take pictures of a car with NOTHING in the background? I dont think photoshop could do that well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:32 am:

RD,Are you jumping the gun with [Trailers are treacherous beast]?? What percent of all you consume do you suppose is brought in a trailer?? Nope,Not trying to hijack the thread just trying to get the facts first?? Richard,Good luck with your model F and i hope to maby see it at The Old Car Festival someday? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:58 am:

I guess Ralph thinks Richard should flat tow the Model F behind a british car for ultimate safety :-(

Nice car Richard. I think that 85K invested in that Model F is one hundred times safer than investing 85K in anything else. Well done sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:10 am:

Mack,
The motor is under the front seat. The hood contains fuel tank and radiator. You insert the crank in the brass "portal" you see under the front seat on the right side of the car. This is a two cylinder car.

You can read great info on them in the MTFCA online library,

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/PreT2.pdf

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:39 pm:

Yea,it is more money than I have to ever invest but what little I do have invested has went SOUTH lately.The car can be enjoyed and passed thru the family and maintain it's value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:42 pm:

That is a NICE car. Thanks for sharing it with us!!!
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 02:43 pm:

I would rather have the car than the money. The money just sits in an investment account and simply loses value these days.
That was the factor that pushed me over the edge to buy mine. I always wanted a T but kept waiting for things to get better. Now I have one and things are better!!
Richard enjoy your F. You OK from the accident?
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 05:50 pm:

Thanks to all for the encouragement and kind words. Ralph, you are always welcome to ride with me. We certainly had fun in Pasadena.
I am busy making arrangements to pay for the car and to get it shipped to me in Folsom. Hopefully the Towe Museum in Sacramento will accept it for display after I have it a few weeks to check it over and do some preventative maintenance. If any one is traveling near Sacramento, please feel free to stop by my place and check it out.
Mack, the accident occured when I drove under an underpass in Needles, California. The trailer was too high for the opening and I crushed the top. The underpass was very old and allowed only one car to enter at a time. Some bystanders remarked that the same thing happens about once or twice a week to folks with RVs. After the accident, I did see a very small sign warning that RVs were not to pass thru but you'd never notice it unless you looked hard. I am surprised the city doesn't place a larger sign considering the frequency of accidents. Maybe they want the local economy to reap the rewards of towing, repairs, etc. I gave the towing company what remained of the trailer for the cost of towing and storage. I am busy ordering a new one today.
I encourage everyone to check out the Early Ford Registry website, where I plan to submit pictures of the car once it arrives and perhaps a narrative. Actually, many photos of the car already exist under the heading Members Photos and click on Robert Grooters Model F.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 07:40 pm:

Yes,that is not good of the state or town,which ever is responsable for that road,to not have proper signage.There should have been at least a 36x36 inch yellow sign saying "Low Clearance" Or "12.6" or whatever the clearance is.I would take a minute to find out if it is a state road or a city street,then contact those folkes and ask them if they had ever picked up a copy of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Contol Devices.It would tell them what is required.It is even avaliable for online veiwing.More lawyers have copys of this book than folkes who put signs up for a liveing.Sad but true.Granted,the state or city may not have reason to make changes to the enviroment there,but they do have a obligation to properly imform users of the highway of the problem.
1 of these days I am apt to pop up somewhere out there in California to see all those fancy cars and movie stars.I doubt I would fit in and I would not want to get to far away from my truck as I have read about that state is fixen to fall off the rest of the country and I cant swim and I aint got a snorkle on the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Iversen on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:24 pm:

Mack, Actually it's more a case of CA west of San Andreas Fault racing north of everything to the east. In any event, Richard's prize and the Towe are in a secure easterly location for your perusal (barring the movement of a thousand other CA faults). While you might hesitate to visit my homestead straddling Redwood Cr. (Hum. Co.)when you learn that most coastal rivers largely follow north-south fault lines, I'd hate to think you might visit this state without seeing the "other CA". I've often winced upon hearing you mention your perceived lack of education and, today, doubt that you'd fit into this locale. While I managed to slog through a CA Univ. education (You'd never guess it from my posts), I constantly recall, while growing up in sawmill and logging camps, the clarity and honest purpose with which I was taught the most important lessons that have helped in my life from folks who communicate very much like you. If S. CA puts you off, let's take my touring for a ride up the Newton Drury Byway, looking skyward to millions of board ft. of Redwood blocking out the sun and you may just forget about movie stars. If you're still starstruck, I'll send you down to my Hollywood relatives. Can't help much with the fancy car part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:48 am:

Richard,

Welcome to the 1 & 2 Cyl. world. Besides our 13 T touring, we also have a 1906 1 Cyl. and a 1910 2 Cyl. REO. There are some great 1 & 2 Cyl. tours offered in the HCCA group. You tour slower and see more! I live in Fallbrook Ca. and will be attending the big 3 swap meet in San Diego and the combined Model T and HCCA swap meet in Bakersfield Ca. Look forward to meeting you.
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 06:01 pm:

Les, I hope to attend both swap meets. Do you have a space? I may be a seller at Bakersfield if my wife decides to go. Keep in touch and I'll give you my space number if I do sell. Stop by and say hi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 07:24 pm:

Uh,being there is a sawmill here that I helped set up as a kid in 76,,I cant help but think of what purty wide boards can come out of some trees!:>)
You never know,I might make it out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:00 pm:

Richard,

In your post above, your said "I may be a seller at Bakersfield if my wife decides to go."

Hope she wasn't that mad about you buying the F :-).

I couldn't resist,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:21 pm:

What's her income, Richard? Does she come with a good medical plan? Are any old cars in the deal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:24 pm:

I took a completely different meaning, but I didn't know you could sell a wife.

Me too, I couldn't resist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:39 pm:

I reckon Richard must wear that tshirt that says,
"The wife said if I brought home another old car she was leaving.I am sure going to miss her".
:>)
I have to admit,once I reread it after Rob posted I about fell out of my chair! Good 1 folkes,good 1 for sure.
Have fun with that new old car Richard.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration