Unsafe at any speed - Perhaps my T- talk about absent-minded repairs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Unsafe at any speed - Perhaps my T- talk about absent-minded repairs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:16 am:

The fun continues:

I can't count how many times I have received advice to leave my "unrestored" T alone and just drive it. I fully understand that sentiment because there are few unmolested examples left. While the car I have has some nice original features, it has seen numerous clunky repairs.

Here's one that could have jeopardized the safety of me or any passenger. While removing the steering column, the castle nut on the bottom steering arm had no cotter (or nail, it seems I have a lot of nails for cotters on this car). But worse, upon removal of the lower arm, there was no woodruff key on the shaft to hold the arm in place.

steering

I am going to leave what is truly original alone on this car, but I have quickly decided to go through all moving parts so that it is a good working vehicle.

Ward
Sierra Vista az

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:18 am:

That sounds like a wise decision, Ward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:23 am:

It's rather disconcerting to be driving down the street and suddenly find the steering wheel not connected to the steering. Voice of experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:39 am:

Ward - That stuff was just for "Stan" and "Oliver", right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:44 am:

Harold - I think I may just embellish the history of my car to include Hollywood lore. Good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Sopos on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:34 am:

I don't think anyone is implying that an unresored car should not get a thorough mecanical inspection unless it will never be driven. Every original, unresotred car I have has had a mechanical restoration to ensure safey and reliability.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:40 pm:

Ward, when I got my '15 project car back in 2005, some work had already been done. Due to a magneto problem, I had to pull the rebuilt engine. Glad I did: dippers on backwards, one missing, missing woodruff key in trans, loose bolts in trans, missing cotter keys,Missing center bolts for springs, (hidden), and the same steering issue you have!, etc. etc. I also found virtually all fasteners on the car were loose, even some of the cottered ones. My advice: I would go over every critical fastener yourself...you can't assume your safety will not be in jeopardy just because a part appears tight and sound.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:59 pm:

I bought my first T in 1975. Could not wait to get it off of the trailer and drive it. Should have checked to see if the right rear wheel had a nut and cotter pin holding it in place........... Not much damage was done but you do not want to see your rear tire passing you.

Paul

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration