TT truck rear axle inner seals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: TT truck rear axle inner seals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 02:34 am:

I have a pair of the modern neoprene replacement type inner seals for my TT truck rear axle assembly.
Does anyone have suggestions on their proper installation? There seem to be old felt holders still in place. Do they need to come out?
How about the outer roller bearings for the axle shafts...any suggestions for seals here?
Thanks very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:13 am:

The last time I ordered modern TT rear axle seals, they were modern seals captured between two pieces of sheet metal and the two pieces were spot welded in a couple places to keep everything from falling apart. I took one look at them and realized they were not constructed tight enough together to keep oil from leaking thru so I decided to make my own by pouring a ring of scrap babbitt on one of the washers that keeps the outer roller bearings in place, machined the babbitt to take a modern seal with a press fit, and then installed with the washer captured behind the outer roller bearing sleeve with the seal facing the differential. Hope this helps. By the way, over 2 years of moderate use on the first vehicle I did this on and no leaks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:17 pm:

Just for clarity, as I recall in an "original" TT rear end there are 3 felt seals per axle. On the outer end of the axle there is 1 outer felt to contian the roller bearing grease and prevent it from getting out onto the hub. There is a second felt at the inside of the roller bearing to contian grease and prevent it from escaping into the axle tube. At the differential end of the axle there is a third felt just outboard of the ball bearing to keep differential oil in the differential and prevent it from escaping into the axle tube.

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but in reading the above exchange I'm not sure everone is talking about the same replacement seal locations. When I took my TT rear end apart, all of the seals had failed, obviously due to decades of neglect. This had caused quite an oil mess inside the brake drums and, I think, allowed the differential oil to wash away the outer roller bearing grease. As a result I had to replace one axle (and its roller bearing) due to excessive wear on the axle roller bearing surface.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd jump with this in to assure helpful results.

Good Luck!!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration