Help - What are these?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Help - What are these?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kaschinske on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:37 am:

A little over a year ago I became the owner of a 1926 Model T touring that has been in the family since the mid 1950's. The one man top came in a box with no directions. It was purchesed by my cousin (deceased) in 1974 and never installed. I do have directions on installation, but I don't recognize two pieces. They are three and three-eighths inches wide and twenty-seven inches long. They seem to be a canvas type material, double or triple folded and stitched on all sides. I'm wondering if they go from the back bow to the top of the back seat, but I don't want to put them there if they belong somewhere else. The top straps are a web material and reach from the front bow to the top of the back seat. If I can do the technology correctly I'll include a picture. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Kaschinske
Saginaw, MI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:46 am:

Sounds like the rain flap that goes across the front bow above wind shield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kaschinske on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:52 am:

Thanks, Jack. I have that piece, so I don't think that's it.

I wasn't able to upload pictures because it said it was over 200 kb. If anyone has directions on how to do that, it would help this technologically challenged one.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:31 pm:

The problem is that I cannot type in the required information because the computer says Your Image.
I will try again. These symbols are actually in the order horizontal, but I will try them vertically and see if I can explain. The picture should be 72 resolution.
\
{
name of image
}
Type those symbols horizontal and the computer will allow you to browse for the picture.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:35 pm:

Ken,

Welcome aboard. I noticed this is your first post (ok – I type slow – now your second post) and I wanted to say you will get lots of help and support. Sorry, at the moment I can't think of what the two pieces of Top Material that 3 3/8 by 27 inches long are for. But I'm sure someone with a similar car will chime in and help you with an answer.

But for the "how to post the picture" I think I can help you with that one. Lots of us faced the same issue and usually it is just that the picture we want to post is larger than the system will allow. You are a registered user so your pictures need to be reduced in size to 200kb or less. If someone isn't registered but still would like to post the picture an unregistered poster picture must be 100kb or less. See the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/74713.html for some good ideas of how to change the picture size. For testing purposes you can copy any picture off the forum and repost it in a “Test Post” until you get the procedures down.

For your two strips of upholstery -- the picture probably isn't that critical as you gave a good description. But folks like pictures and for many items a picture with a ruler or other item (quarter, coke can, etc.) to help judge the size can make it so much easier for folks to give you a good answer or pass on a lead for finding a good answer. And in many cases you will find there is more than one good answer. For example which wheel was originally offered for your 1926 touring? There were several different ones offered originally by the factory and of course many other wheels will fit and function great also. A great free source for information on what was originally offered on any year Model T Ford is Bruce McCalley’s on line encyclopedia at: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/intro.htm (the intro is nice to read at least once as it shows how thankful Bruce is to all those folks who contributed. And it also explains why on any given day two Model Ts could be produced that were different – Ford often used running changes and they were made a different times at different Branch Assembly plants. Then click on the “Menu link” at the top or bottom, select the year of your car (notice that year is listed several times with additional information) and then individual parts are listed such as “wheels” at: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/U-Z.htm#wheels .

Have you found any other T folks near you yet? If not suggest you look at the chapter listing at http://mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm and http://mtfca.com/MTclubs.htm lots of great people form all over the world. Note many times some of the older T folks are really helpful but they don’t use computers. But if you drive over or invite them to your place they will gladly help out.

And one more question for folks. For a CLOSED car top I would recommend that they be installed / stretched on when the material is warm (i.e. heated garage and preferably July summer time heat outside. That way when you have the car outside in Dec the top material still looks tight. But does that help with an open car top or does it matter on those one way or the other. (For that matter does it really matter for the closed car – I read that once in one of the Model A Restoration books and have followed it but I’ve never put a closed car top on in the winter so I don’t have first hand experience with it.)
Again, welcome aboard.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenK on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:48 pm:

Wow! Thanks, much, Hap. Lots of great information. I have noted the local chapter in the area. However, I don't think drive over there is an option here in Michigan right now (below zero the last few days and 5-8 inches of snow going on now). I had heard the warning about putting the top on warm. That makes sense. I've been keeping it in the house and heating up the garage when I'm going to work on it. I appreciate the welcome and the help.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kaschinske on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:17 pm:

Well, I feel a sense of technilogical accomplishment. I followed directions offered, downloaded PIXresizer and I think I have a picture that will upload. I'll try it.

Thanks for all the help.

Strap

Ken Kaschinske

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:41 pm:

Yup, they are back bow to rear seat straps as you had suspected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kaschinske on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 02:35 pm:

Thanks, Adam.  I appreciate the confirmation.Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 02:51 pm:

Ken,

another helpful thought as you consider your task.

I didn't think it mattered the first time I did a top on the open cars and set those back straps...but it sure does.......

After I had finished, others then told me to not simply rely on the bow set resting in the back position when you mount the straps. [which I did the first time] They told me to make a set of crutches that go from the back bow to the body to support the bow, and only then do the back strap and mount the top thing.

That car was a Roadster and almost immediately had a bulgy rear section. Next car I did, I actually measured the location from someone who had a good looking nice firm top...made the crutches, then went about skinning and supporting.

No bulges on that one! :-)

So, think about it, and if you do not have a top on now, try the crutch trick....unless some other bright soul on here has a better idea :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kaschinske on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

Thanks, George. I'm going to have to take a look at that. The way I had already stretched the straps, I was more concerned that I was pulling it down too much rather than keeping it up. Sounds like one of those things you only learn in the School of Experience.

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:01 pm:

Funny,I had completely forgotten about those two straps. Glad someone else didn't.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration