1920's Los Angeles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 1920's Los Angeles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

Here are some pictures of old LA in the 1920's.
Norm
6th & Broadway
6th & Broadway
Mariposa & 6th flood
Mariposa & 6th

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:31 pm:

Here's a couple more
Norm
7th & Broadway
7th & Broadway
Courthouse & Hall of Records
\image Courthouse}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:32 pm:

Got one wrong
Norm
Courthouse & Gall of Records
Courthouse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:33 pm:

Misspelled Hall
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 02:50 pm:

Gall must have been a Freudian slip...
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:59 pm:

Norm
Thank you very much for posting those pictures.
I wish I was around in the 20s and 30s. I grew up in Granada Hills in the 50s. LA seemed really old to me when my mom took me downtown for hospital visits. I remember the tracks in the streets and vaguely the electric cars.
Please post more if you have them.
Thanks
Kirk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 04:10 pm:

egads, 7th & Broadway looks like a multiple car and streetcar accident or accidents! Can you imagine having to navigate that kind of a mess today?
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 04:37 pm:

7th & Broadway
Streetcars, cars, horse & buggy, and peds. Is that a traffic cop in the middle?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 07:45 pm:

Trafffic hasn't changed much.
Yes, that would be a traffic cop in the middle operating a manual "Stop & Go" sign, not that anybody paid any more attention to the signs then, than they do to the lights now.
Granada Hills was actually a drive to LA back then and "The San Fernando Valley" was out in the valley too.
I sure hate to see my little part of Florida go the way of LA but I guess it's called progress.

DJH
So. Cal. resident 1948-1997

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 08:08 pm:

Here's a little more.
http://www.lincolnheightsla.com/
Good ole Highway 99 and the "Burma Shave" signs.
http://www.lincolnheightsla.com/99/
My dad's business was on North Mission Road, within sight of downtown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:37 pm:

Dennis,
I've been to the Ostrich farm. My uncle in law used to work there in the 1940's.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:54 pm:

I don't remember it, I was born in 45.
My dad's business (and mine too) was building, maintaining and tearing down Gas stations all over the LA basin and the valley, in fact from LA to Riverside to Bakersfield.
Sadly, it also meant taking down all the original "Service Stations" as self serve gas stations came in.
We had a storage lot full of "Visables" the ones with the glass tank on top and every subsequent version in the evolution of the gas pump.
All long gone now. I'd love to have just one of them left today for sentimental value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:44 am:

Broadway today is about as busy, but resembles a street in Mexico City, though a few of the signs are in English. Last spring after wasting my time chasing all over the South Bay looking for the shirts I wanted at every store I thought might have them, I took the Blue Line downtown, went to Broadway and found exactly what I wanted. While there I also found the CD's I wanted by my favorite singer, Vicente Fernandez. Having taking the Pacific Electric red car to LA and having lunch at Clifton's fifty years ago, I was glad to see that Clifton's is still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto Baron on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:05 am:

Broadway has some incrediable Movie Palaces (Like the Los Angeles in the pic. above). When I lived in L.A., I loved attending the "Last Remaining Seats" shows, where they played old movies in the surviving theatres.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:23 am:

I still attend those last remaining seats shows. In fact recently they appropriated millions to restore Broadway back to it's original appearance, but because of our current financial state, I hear it has been shelved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:10 pm:

Dennis, Kirk,
I too was raised the the Granada Hills/San Fernando area about the same time. We lived next to the San Fernando Mission park at the end of McClay Street. In 1962 I bought my 26 Touring near the same area, off Sepulveda. It and I are now in FL but remember the "good old days" before freeways. You could actually get around. My dad traveled up the Grapevine and delivered motors and parts in the early to mid 40's.
I would like to know how my car ended up in CA and where produced. Any way to get history?
Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 06:30 pm:

Nick
My dad and I belonged the YMCA which then was housed in the old Mexican General's Adobe off Brand.
More memories;
Little store west side of that Park.
Richfield station Brand and Sepulveda.
And Bob's Big Boy.
My little brother still lives in our house on Ruffner.
Kirk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 07:05 pm:

A little Domestic LA, although it looks like rural Kansas, it's 77th & Broadway about 1922, unpaved street, Grandmother, Mother (Mom's the one with the smirk & her elbow over the top bow) & Aunts in my Uncles used Hudson Super six.

The house is still there (painted bright green)& the vacant area to the right is section 8 housing.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:18 pm:

I don't have any pics but the early members of the family (grandmothers generation) remembered living at the end of the trolly down town or near Santa Monica and would tell stories of seeing relatives get off the trolly at a great distance. By the time they walked to the house food was ready. Sounded very rural and sparsly populated. Hope to find older pics but most members have passed away. Dad was a mechanic and would "hop up" model A's. Worked on some of the stars cars but stories have all but faded away. Why don't we write this stuff down when it is fresh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:48 am:

Any of you old So Cal hands remember Pegasus flying through the sky at night? The Mobilgas flying horse was outlined in neon on the sides of a blimp, with the wings flashing in different positions for animation. This would have been after the war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:27 am:

By the time we moved here in 1973, the Goodyear blimp message had a moving message sign.

Wife and I rode space available one day about 10 years ago, thanks to my friend Tommy the chief pilot. Then about six years ago I got a last minute call for a ride. Rounded up my younger son and Humble Howard and we got to fly over the St. Patrick's Day parade in downtown LA. Was only coincidence it was my birthday. Frank Harris could have gone, too, but he didn't answer his phone.

We each got a turn at the wheel and rudder, blazing throught the sky at 30 mph. Thanks to overreaction to 9-11, we had to stay 2,000 feet over downtown.

Final Approach

They still use big guys to grab the landing lines.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:31 am:

Ralph,

Been in & controlled Hot Air Balloons, but never a blimp (the name comes from the sound it makes when you flick your finger against it) but have seen a lot being inflated at Brown Field near the border. I do remember the Goodyear Blimp hangered on Firestone Blvd, even at 5 I thought it was a contradiction.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:49 am:

"Dennis, Kirk,
I too was raised the the Granada Hills/San Fernando area about the same time. We lived next to the San Fernando Mission park at the end of McClay Street. In 1962 I bought my 26 Touring near the same area, off Sepulveda. It and I are now in FL but remember the "good old days" before freeways. You could actually get around. My dad traveled up the Grapevine and delivered motors and parts in the early to mid 40's.
I would like to know how my car ended up in CA and where produced. Any way to get history?
Nick"

"Ford Archives"? But I think it will cost ya,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 03:04 am:

Memories, Memories.
My parents used to live in a stilt house hanging over the the side of a mountain in South Pasadena with a great view of LA (on the one day a year you could see it through the smog).
On every New Years eve, we held a party and I was allowed to select a couple friends to come.
We were within walking distance of Orange Grove Blvd. and would go watch them position the floats, smashing into street lights, climbing curbs, flower girls patching up the floats, it was chaos!
On New Years day we would stay home and watch the parade. The Goodyear blimp would fly almost at eye level past our balcony. We would turn the livingroom TV around so we could watch ourselves waving at the blimp cameras on TV.
Time flys, it's hard to accept this was 40+ years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:49 pm:

About 1940 the blimp used to land on a field near the Los Angeles River near where I-5 now exists where you exit to go to Dodger Stadium. My Aunt lived on Marsh St. and it was at the end of that street where the blimp landed. We used to walk down there and watch it. I remember the men on the ropes that held it down.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:39 pm:

OK, Guys
I also grew up in Southern California,(San Fernando Valley). As kids we were treated to a fly-over of the FLYING WING. I think it was the Northrop YB-49 Bomber? We were drawing pictures of that plane and building models of airplanes for months after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:26 pm:

Here's one of the predecessors to the XB-49, and the B-2. It's the N9M, powered by a unique pair of geared supercharged Franklins. It's been restored and flies once again, as you see:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:03 pm:

Ricks,
WOW!! I thought those were proven to be to unstable to fly safely-a problem solved today by computer controls on the surfaces. Is this the only survivor?
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:30 pm:

It's the only one, David. It has done some airshows and fly-ins. I believe it lives in Planes of Fame in Chino.

The Secretary of War, Symington, ordered all the XB-49 to be destroyed. There may have been more politics involved than aerodynamics. History Channel's "Modern Marvels" show on the B-2 gave some XB-49 history.

In 1992 I took some pix of the N9M in restoration in an old hangar at the long closed Bell(?), Calif, airport. The plane is all wood. The restoration and its location were kept somewhat secret.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:07 pm:

Shades of the Spruce Goose, eh? So, if it's not classified, how did this one survive? Unfortunately we live beyond cable, so I don't get the History Channel, although I get their magazine.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

I saw one when I was a boy right after WWII fly over Montrose, Ca. There also is at least one flying wing, in existance. It flew over El Cajon Ca a few years in an annual air show at Gillespie Field. I don't know if that one is an xb49 or not!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:41 am:

There is lots of info on the whole Northrop family of flying wings at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_N1M

Jack Northop lived long enough to see a model of the B-2, long before the public saw it.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:43 am:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YB-49
It was unstable, had a nasty habit of flipping over on it's back with incorrect control inputs by the pilot.
The B-2 is equally unstable but it's "fly by wire". Computers will not let the pilot get it out of it's flight envelope.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration