Need advice on selling a car on eBay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Need advice on selling a car on eBay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:32 pm:

I would like to hear from anyone who has sold a car on eBay. I am going to list a 1938 Cadillac 60 Special and don't want to make any stupid mistakes in the listing or executing the transaction if the car actually sells. I don't want to get into the pro's and con's of eBay, I accept it for what it is. I have purchased many items (over 400) but never sold anything. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:49 pm:

You should put your cell phone number in the advertisement and tell serious biders to call for any questions that they need answered. You will receive hundreds of emails. It is hard to keep up with all the emails, but try to do it. If you are worried about anonymity you can get a pay by the minute disposable cell phone, but I don't think it is necessary.

Have the advertisement / auction end on a Sunday (not Superbowl Sunday). The best time for an auction to end is 11:00 PM Eastern time.

The auction description should be fairly brief, no more than 500 words describing the overall condition. Be very honest about any serious flaws or missing items of consequence. You need around ten pictures, showing the inside, outside and engine compartment in lots of light. Pictures need to be in focus and appropriately framed.

You should take perhaps 200 additional high quality digital pictures of the car and place them at an online picture hosting service. I use http://www.supermotors.net because it is free and simple to use, but there are many such photo hosting sites. Here's my 1912 touring as an example:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/18177/62084-2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 06:10 pm:

The more buyer friendly you are the more success you will have. I would mention something about the reserve. Words like reasonable, low, moderate etc to gve the buyer a clue what you are willing to take. Its irritating to bid and bid on a car with no one ever reaching reserve. If you search completed items you'll find the majority of cars don't sell because they don't hit reserve. If you relist you won't get as high bids as the first time so set realistic goals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 06:28 pm:

I sold my '34 Ford on the bay last year. I hate auctions with reserves, so I started the listing at the minimum I would take. Of course, the bids didn't start coming until the last day or two, but I got 5000 above the starting bid. This weeds out a lot of jokers right off. It also lets them know they aren't going to steal it.I put a lot of pictures on but still got lots of requests for more. Be prepared for a lot of questions you can't answer "how much will it cost to ship it 3000 miles" and stuff like that. Be VERY specific on how you want your money...no Jiffy Mart money orders, etc. Don't be overly helpful in finding a shipper, if He's a bummer, they'll come back on you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Koontz on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 07:33 pm:

Be prepared for International bidders. Lately most of my items have been going overseas. I understand the Austrailians are buying a lot of cars to have shipped down under. I have sold many times to Austrailia and it is always a pleasure. Never a problem. Include any National Awards that car may have won. I would write up an auction listing in Word then look at it a day later to make sure you have covered everything. You won't miss that one important thing by doing this. Best of luck. Once you hav eit listed let us know the item number, so we can watch. Best of Luck !!! from 740 100% positive feedbacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:08 pm:

Royce, Richard, Chuck, Ken,

Thanks for the sage advice. I will take it to heart and put the car on eBay as soon as I get up the nerve. I found out that you can't restore a Cadillac on a Model T budget - thus the car is for sale.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:02 am:

Make sure you have cash in hand before releasing the car. People have been scamed out of their cars after finding out the cashers check is boggis. Make sure the check clears before releasing the car. Do not restrict the sale to only the U.S. if you do not care where the car ends up. International bidders some times will pay more than U.S. bidders. Let the new buyer take care of all shipping.....no libialities to you that way. Post lots of Pic's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto Baron on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:12 am:

I have attempted to sell two cars on eBay, and had bad experiences both times. The first time was a 1968 Country Squire, and someone pushed "Buy it now." Fortunatly, others warned me the person was bad news, and I had to relist the car. The other time, with a 1956 Ford PU, some clown place a huge bid halfway through the auction, and withdrew his bid, to saboutage my auction. Then he tried to talk down my price. I sold the truck to a private party. Buying vehicles, however, I have never had a problem.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration