26 T tudor - headlight aim adjustment - can you help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 26 T tudor - headlight aim adjustment - can you help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 06:34 pm:

G'day all
l am currently trying to adjust the aim direction of my headlighs and ask if the section on the bracket just below the light/bucket shown as a flange ( for one of a better word ) is slodered/brazed into place or whether it is all one single casting with no adjustment available ?
Can you help ?
Cheers David
picture uploading seems to be out at the moment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 06:53 pm:

David,i have the fender mounted lights and to adjust them i put masking tape on them with arrows denoting which way to turn them,i then bolt them to my workbench and heat the stem and turn them using the arrows.there was a special tool but i have not been able yo find one.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 07:08 pm:

romove,heat and turn ok thanks Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 07:57 pm:

I have found that the fender bracket is bent and that aims the light in a different direction. I swapped the lights from right to left and left to right and the same one is aimed the same way. The best way to fix this is to straighten the bracket, then you don't have to bend the arm that holds the light. You can bend the arm as noted above, but then it will only fit that particular car on that side and the fender will still be crooked.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:02 pm:

Dave,
The bending instructions above are for earlier lamps that mount to the fender bracket down by the frame and are on a "stem" riveted to the light bucket. I believe your 26 should have an adustable mount. The lamp mounts by a single bolt from the bottom of the bucket? If so, it should be in a slot that can (often with effort) be moved about a bit.
If I'm mistaken, someone will chime in!
T'
David D.
(who doesn't want to take 25 minutes to dig his lamps out of storage to check!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:18 pm:

I'll try the other computer to see if l can up load the light beacket .

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:51 pm:

Ok this is the pic l have been trying to upload that need re aligning, the other side is not to bad.

Thanks for your assistance

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:06 pm:

Hmm, that's completely different than my '26s lamps. I don't see any easy adjustment there!
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:59 pm:

I have just tried a pair of multigrips on the light base and Nuthin" no movement at all !!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:17 am:

Service Bulletin for aiming the Improved car headlamps. The large bending bar was recommened to bend the flange support on those fender mounted headlamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:03 am:

A pair of stillsons did the job quite nicely , thanks for your help

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 04:48 pm:

I have the original tool for the early '26 fender mounted headlights. Good luck trying to bend them with that. The fender support and the fender just want to come along with it instead. Maybe using Richard Goelz method of clamping to a workbench would help. I've never had any luck using this tool with the headlights on the car.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration