1912 body on 1914 frame?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 1912 body on 1914 frame?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 08:19 pm:

can a 1912 body fit on a 1914 frame? Will the spalsh aprons fit under the body?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Poane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston, Broken Arrow, OK on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 08:27 pm:

Bob, I believe everything will fit. The 1914 frame rear cross member will need to be modified to look like the 1912 frame to accept the 1912 brackets. Other than that I think every thing will fit or can be easily modified to fit. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 08:57 pm:

Nope! The body won't fit unless you make your 14 frame look like a 12 frame and shorten the rear ears and add the cast brackets to the rear crossmember.

When I picked up my 12 body from John Danuser, Tom Jr and I made up a cool fixture using a later crossmember to hold up the back of the body. It wouldn't fit. Fortunately John had the correct frame for the car so we trailered the body home sitting on a correct 12 frame.

The splash aprons are a different story and they'll fit either frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:51 pm:

Tom did you get my email back on the parts wanted list you sent to me, I found the tank (gas) cover yesterday also danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:50 am:

Thomas and others:

I must respectfully disagree with you and agree with Fred. For cosmetic reasons only you can indeed modify the rear cross member to accept the castings for body mounting but if you do it perfectly, the hole in the casting will be in EXACTLY the same place and height as was the top flat cross member that you modified.

If you look in Fun Projects document library you will find a drawing taken from a 1911 Frame. If you note the exact locations of each of the body brackets (6) then compare that to the dimensions given in Figure 234 of Ford service bulletin Vol. 1 No. 21 Page 163 dated Feb 1, 1920 you will quickly see that they are identical in location. Yep both frames will mount either a 1911 Body or a 1920 body or any in between that was designed for the standard Ford chassis. The rear body brackets changes STYLE but not in key dimensions. I can only conclude that your body hauling fixture was made to wrong dimensions or you used a cross member off a TT or something else. Not wishing to be critical here but just wanting to give the original questioner a correct answer. You can find a reprint of the service manual I quoted from also printed on page 171 of the "Model T Ford Service Bulletin Essentials" book. Compare that drawing with the 1911 Frame drawing. Essential body mounting is exactly the same. I hauled my 1912 Finished Delivery body around on a 1922 frame to take it to the restored 1912 chassis it ended up on. Has to be the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:06 am:

John,
The 1911 roadster bodies should be able to use the later frames OK. The 1911 touring bodies are different than the roadsters in that the very rear part of the bodies hangs down below the top level of the frame and will interfere with it. The inside measurement of the area that is lower than the frame on my 1911 body is about 28 1/4 inches. The rear cross member on a post 1914 frame measures about 31 1/2 inches.
Art Wilson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:19 am:

Art:

I stand corrected!! You are right, the 1911 touring car body overhangs the frame and the later frame ears are too long even though the body mounting hole location and height are the same as the earlier frame body mount castings. I forgot that some of the earlier bodies overhang the frame. I was assuming that the bodies were mounting above the frame as does the Delivery Car. I have no excuse because I have a 1911 touring car. One would need a few minutes with a hacksaw to bob the ends of the later frame just beyond the body mount hole. Crow isn't all that bad if you eat it while still warm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dave willis on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:23 pm:

actually crow jerky has been good chew as i have hacksawed off an offending bit i told someone years before would not really get in the way......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:52 am:

John,

No need to eat crow, When that happens to me I just use the excuse that I was having a senior moment.

We really appreciate all the help and information you provide. Right now I am using your frame drawing to get my frame in alignment before I attach the body. Knowing where the running board brackets belong is a big help in getting the fenders in the correct position.
Thanks,
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 03:07 am:

Art & John - The trouble is, those "senior moments" happen more and more frequently as I get older, and eventually, Lord will'n and I live long enough, the senior moments all run together at which time it's called something different,........."senility"! And I think I'm beginning to see it coming; wait, see what coming? What was I talking about? Oh, never mind!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration