Running coils off 12 volt battery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Running coils off 12 volt battery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:02 am:

I have very weak magneto performance, probably due to excess crankshaft end play on an otherwise good running engine. Because I'd like to postpone having this good running engine rebuilt for awhile yet, I'd like to run the stock Ford coils off of a small separate 12 volt battery temporarily, but keep everything else electrical running off of the regular stock 6 volt battery, mostly to be easy on my starter bendix.

My question is, can I run the 12 volts to the coils with one fused wire from the postitive post on the 12 volt battery and just run a ground wire to the frame for a common ground for the 12 volt battery as is done with the stock 6 volt battery, or, does the 12 volt circuit for the coils have to be completely isolated from the 6 volt system. (???)

"Ron the Coilman" - those two sets of coils we talked about and that I've sent to you last week should be arriving at your place Monday, Jan. 19th if UPS is true to their word. Perhaps you could answer my question ref proper wiring (and fuse) for 12 volts to the coils and 6 volts to everything else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:21 am:

Harold-
Remove the wire from the magneto plug. Hook up the positive wire from your 12 volt battery to this wire. Connect the negative post of the 12 volt to ground. Now you can run your T coils on 6 or 12 volts. When you put the switch in the MAG position, it will run on 12 volts to the coils, but everything else is on 6 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:59 am:

Thanx Jim; couldn't be more simple, huh? Guess I just couldn't get thru' my head that you could use two different batteries in the same car, one being 6 volt and the other being 12 volt, and both using a common ground on the same car. As you can see, my knowledge of "things electrical" leaves a lot to be desired! Thanks again,..........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:43 pm:

Harold
Understand about your coils.
Jim has your question covered very well, just make sure you first faithfully execute the task in Jim's first sentence or the 12 volt battery won't last very long.
Ron the Coilman

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration