Front axle "banana"- well not that bad- how do l straighten ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Front axle "banana"- well not that bad- how do l straighten ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:12 pm:

Can anyone share how l can repair my slightly bent front axle, the bend is slap bang in the middle outward towards the front of the car , my guess is more than 1/4 " but less than 1/2 ".
Is it likely that this is causing my pull to the left when on a narrow paved road off to the left of of the crown ?
I'm sure that heat on the front axle may not be a good idea.
Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 02:47 pm:

It can be straightend with a chain and a hydraulic jack. Lay the jack on its side, on some blocks, so it is in front of the axle with the pump towards the floor. The bottom of the jack is away from the axle. A fairly stout chain is needed. Connect the chain to the axle at each end, and around the foot of the jack. Tie a string between the spring hangers, so you can keep track of what is happening. Pump the jack so it will push the middle of the axle back. It should start to straighten. Watch the chain links to see if any are stretching. If you see any stretching, quit, and get a heavier chain. If the chain were to break, it could whip around and mess things up, and you, badly.

Actually I wonder if 1/4 to 1/2 inch is worth bothering with. It shouldn't affect the driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 02:49 pm:

Let me add: don't heat the axle. Do it cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

I have re adjusted my toe in for the axle bend, but still have a pull to the left ....
The spindles appear tight and the pivot points smooth no loose spots, would a worn ball cap under the motor cause a vague feeling ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:10 pm:

The axle may be bent in the up and down also? Check the camber, how straight up and down are the wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:59 pm:

John-grab one front wheel and rock it back and forth.If that motion transfers over to the other wheel see-saw fashion,your wishbone is certainly loose enough to cause problems.After I got my '25 roadster home,I went all over it making sure everything was tight and had cotter pins.Almost everything.I saw the radius rod nuts had nice new cotter pins in them,so I did not mess with them.After not many miles,it got squirrelly. That tapered nut must have had a hunk of something,maybe even thick paint,in that taper that decieved the previous owner into thinking it was tight.A turn on that made a big difference.Now if I just understood why the damn thing wears right front tires.All the Ts I have owned have worn right front tires some,but not like this.Toe is OK,camber and caster are real close to Murray Fahnestocks FordOwner article.Nothing loose and the T wires on it are real good.The only other idea any of us can come up with is some of the roads around here have a very high crown.But I drive on other roads,too.Ideas,anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 08:58 am:

If looking along the axle thru the spokes , one spindle appears to have more of a lean back than the other, will this cause a pull to the left ???
Jim , l will pull the wires off this afternoon and check that area, it looks like its had a pretty hard hit from the front axle thru the steering rods and up into the sump pan on # 1 , so l have a bit of work on mine too !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:45 am:

I thought of another possibility,both for my problem and yours.A long shot but maybe someone else can get good out of this.I am going to go out to the garage when I get back home and look at my front end of my present T.If I do see what I hope I don't I'll be using up the whole weeks supply of profanity early......One of the many chassis I built up over the years maiden drive was unsuccessful. Above a certain speed it was all over the road.About threw me off the gas tank.I white knuckled it back to the barn in low.After many times of looking the front end over,finally I saw,hell,it had two left spring perches!So the drivers side the perch was trying to give the axle positive caster,which is correct,and the passenger side was trying to twist it the other way.The result was a mess with no caster.I switched axles and it drove good.Whether this was a factory problem or a boner someone pulled later will never be known.Whoever had to drive that car with that front end way back in the day was probably not a big Model T fan.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration