Open trailer, T, motorcycle, car with front wheel drive??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Open trailer, T, motorcycle, car with front wheel drive??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 02:43 pm:

May I have your thoughts on this subject?
1. What size open trailer is good for the occasional trailering of a model T touring and motorcycle, not at the same time?

2. I am considering a 16 foot used trailer with brakes, duel axle.

3. I thought I would mount cycle chucks in the front permanently and that would give room for the T.

4. But the car is RAV 4, 6 cylinder extended body, has trailer package.

Thank you in advanced. Bob Poane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:18 pm:

Bob,
I have a flatbed, open, modified boat trailer that measures 16' overall. I cut 4' from the original boat trailer so that it would fit into my garage.
My '19 Speedster fits perfectly, and although it is a single axle trailer, it tows behind my Ford Explorer (Gasp!) very nicely.T on Trailer
Being a flatbed, it'll handle motorcycles, ATV's, almost anything. If you are anywhere near South Orange County in California, you may use it free anytime you wish, just to get it out of my way for awhile!
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:37 pm:

I used to tow a Homebuilt 18' Malibu Outrigger sailboat with a front drive Ford Fiesta 1600 4 banger and 4 speed. The boat was waaay longer and wider than the car and while it was a boat was by no means light weight. Never went cross country, just 20 miles to the beach. Only really felt it pulling out of the water. But you always knew it was back there.
I think with a 6 cyl Rav you'll be way better off than I was. The secret wil be tounge weight and axle placement. Thats where your stability will come from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:43 pm:

Those T fenders on that trailer look real good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:19 pm:

If you carefully read your RAV4 owners manual it states that if tow capacity exceeds 600 pounds trailer brakes are required. Having spent the past week driving a rented RAV4 (2009 model) I must say it feels way underpowered for any towing duties of more than say a 2 wheel utility trailer.

There are various towing packages for the RAV4. The 3500 pound (factory installed) capacity package has the upgraded V6 engine and transmission and a special factory receiver hitch that is attached with something like ten bolts. It also includes trailer brake wiring.

The lighter duty (dealer, port or factory installed)RAV4 towing package has the standard V6 and a smaller receiver hitch suitable for a bicycle mount or a under 600 lb trailer including load.

A Model T weighs at least 1500 LB. My aluminum trailer weighs 900 LB. Most steel trailers capable of carrying a Model T arre going to be 1500 LB or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 09:54 pm:

Robert -- A 12' trailer is long enough for a Model T. If it has the foot-high rail across the front, you can bump the front tires against that and cinch the frame to it. Then a light chain or strap on the rear end to keep it from bouncing is all you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:47 am:

Bob,16' sounds good espc with the tandem axel! A short trailer is harder to back up and with the extra room you can put the weight wherever it might need to be instead of where it will fit!! What is your T worth?? Is it worth taking a chanch haulling sub standard?? To tell the truth A model T 1500# Motorcycle 300-700# tandem trailer 1000-1500# maby you might hook it to something with more weight?? Bud.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration