Oil Lamp Question - What Should I Look For?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Oil Lamp Question - What Should I Look For?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 06:46 pm:

My TT has two oil side lamps on the cab (late style - see my profile picture).

I filled both with lamp oil and lit them to see how they go.

LHS burns well and stays on when driving, but RHS gutters and goes out as soon as the lamp door is closed (new wick installed). Adjusting the trim makes no real difference in time before it gutters and goes out.

There is no obvious obstruction in the chimney, and exhaust seems to flow out well - when the lamp door is open.

I assume that the problem is that air is not getting in from the base of the lamp.

Q, what should I look for? how should the air flow into the lamp?

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 09:01 pm:

You know I have never realy given it much thought till you asked the question! Sounds like if you take the lamp apart, the space around the refector is probly filled with nest of some sort. The chimney is made of two parts, the inner for venting the flame and the outer for air intake. If you never had them apart, the top cap unscrews, the center drop down into the reflector and the outside of the chimney lifts off. The reflector should slide out ( :-) ). The door does not have to come off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 09:43 pm:

Just to add to Marks comments,make sure those little holes in the circle around the top of the chimney are unobstructed.As Mark says they are intake.I have bought lamps that these holes were painted over.Won't burn well that way.Earlier,[still iron],lamps have another row of these holes at the base of the chimney,too.The last -I think-lamps made have a 'square'shaped inside.They burn the best.As I pecked this in,I got my NOS Ford-Off the bookshelf.It is an E&J.It is square inside.Were all Ford-O lamps this way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:21 pm:

If I hadn't been cleaning up an Aladdin lamp a few months ago it would never have crossed my mind as to how the air gets to the flame. I have an old Dietz that is made the same way. All Ford lamps, made 1915 and up, should be the same. (Your style will differ). Now I have another quest, how does air get to the burner on the pre 15 lamp? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 04:58 am:

Thanks guys - I now understand the "smiley face" after the "slides out" comment!!
Will pull it apart when I have a little more time to prise it to bits and see what comes out. At least now I know what to do!

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 07:04 pm:

Managed to get the lamp to bits last night - all seems clean and no blockage in the air inlet.

Mark - your guidance was spot on - easy as pie when you know how! Thanks for that.

The wick is new, and is just slightly narrower than the feed slot, but I don't think that should affect burning?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:00 am:

Turns out that the burner unit in the lamp is a "non standard" replacement.
After drilling some additional holes around the base of the replacment unit for air, the lamp burns as it should.
The chimney is all clear and working as advertised.
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 01:49 pm:

Sometimes a different fuel helps if you have a lamp that occasionally goes out. My first choice is naptha. Seems to work better than anything else for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 02:11 pm:

Glad to hear that it's working.
MarkG

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration