Rally Preparation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Rally Preparation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 07:44 pm:

I am heading on a week long rally??? What type of spares should i be taking... The t will be driven around 350miles from home? The car is in good shape....

Any suggestions???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 08:13 pm:

Charles:

Take an extra ready to go coil(s). May save some on the road down time?

Harvey ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 08:14 pm:

ignition parts can fail with no warning. otherwise probably a inner tube would be a good thing to have along. 350 miles is really not that far. Are you a experienced T driver. If not then a set of bands might be worthwhile depending on the terrain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 08:18 pm:

Ref: Forum (old): Essential Spare Parts http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/6/1665.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

Chocks. . You gotta' have wheel chocks if you're going to jack up a wheel, or go up a hill your brake won't hold on.

http://www.graybeardaviation.com/safety/chock.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 09:03 pm:

An oil can, some friction tape or electrical tape, a spare fan belt, a can or 2 of oil and some coolant. A gallon or 2 of gas. A few combination wrenches of the various sizes uaed on a T, and a Jack and Screwdriver and pliars. Also good to have a ball peen hammer and a nickle in case you lose a freeze plug.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 09:54 pm:

There appear to be two Charleses.

I will have to change my name...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:34 pm:

As a member of the two piece crankshaft club (and it happened twice too) I'm thinking about carrying a spare.

At the Centennial in Richmond, there was one guy who had a complete ready to go extra engine up in the front of his enclosed trailer. That was Jim Martin from AZ. I sure wish I had one then 'cause I broke the crankshaft on the first day. Real bummer!

It seems the parts and tools you bring along are the ones you won't need...

Fordially, Keith Gumbinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 04:26 pm:

I wouldn't worry about the crankshaft as long as you are not far from home, or have a trailer to use to take the car home. The odds of breaking a crankshaft on a particular tour is quite small. However if you want to drive across the country, all the way in a T, you might consider having someone follow with a spare engine in a trailer. In fact one engine could serve as a spare for a whole group of Model T's.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration