Ruckstell P146 Sliding clutch gear position

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Ruckstell P146 Sliding clutch gear position
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 09:23 pm:

I'm building up a Ruckstell from the kit and position of the sliding clutch gear appears to be incorrect. However, it is a new kit so all the parts are new, it seems like I must be doing something wrong. In the Ruckstell Axle book on page 27-28, it talks about checking the Shift Lock Function. When I shift the Ruckstell into Low, the P146 sliding clutch gear is at least 1/16 inch above the P144 sun gear, when it should be flush. Below is a picture.
One unusual thing, is that I had to file the side of the Shift Lock Assembly in order to get the bolts to line up with the holes. P146 sliding gear above P144 sun gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 09:27 pm:

Attached is a picture of where I had to file the shift lock assembly, which came pre-assembled.Shift lock assembly filed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 04:46 pm:

David, I am not aware of anyome else manufacturing Ruckstell parts today so I assume it is one of ours. I have never seen this problem before but the symptums you describe indicate that the mounting bolt holes were drilled incorrectly. The direction of offset indicated by having to grind away part of the housing to make room for the single bolt would explain why the P146 is sticking out too far. We stand behind our products 100%. If you wish to send us the shifter we will be happy to check it out and fix the problem or exchange the shifter.
Chaffin's Garage Inc. 1939 S. Main St., Corona Ca. 92882

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration