Off topic,due to popular demand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Off topic,due to popular demand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:21 pm:

There is bound to be a way to improve on the mouse trap.
I have had problems with mice being able to travel long distances from the original site of the trapping,sometimes up to 6 inches away!
Their kicking and flailing around in a feeble, but instinctive desire to survive, prompts me to have to reach slightly in 1 direction or the other to pickup the trap.
I was thinking if the wood was replaced by a 12x12 inch square piece of half inch thick steel plate,this would do 2 things.1,it would not allow the mouse to get a footing to be able to move the trap.
2.it would allow for stronger springs and levers to entrap the mouse with greater force without damage to the trap it's self.

But these things wouldn't be enough.I have also considered using a triangular shaped piece of 1/2 inch steel plate painted a dark yellow to simulate cheese to further entice the mouse to come closer.
The stouter springs that could retain the mouse with greater efficiency would make it more difficult to release the deceased mouse from the trap into the vast voids of the world of the non living rodents.therefore a lever of some type would need to be devised to allow for easier release.

Another problem is that mouse urine is corrosive.So perhaps a Stainless steel ,triangular shaped plate with a powdercoating of dark yellow ,would help prevent this problem.

There is just so many flaws with the original mouse trap design that it prompts me to believe that not only was it a cheap hoax ,but the fellow that designed it knew full well it would only have a 98% efficiency rating.

I will continue to work out these terrible inefficiencies of the design of the "trap" and release my findings in a new book,"The mouse trap,the hoax of the millennium" next year.
I used spell check on this report to further valiadate it's sincere intent. :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one, Mack!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:52 pm:

I know it is a joke Mac but sometimes traps can get dragged away with rats. I drill a hole in the trap and tie it down with wire. Also, sometimes on campus girls don't want to see a mouse trap so I put them inside a paper lunch sack so when the mouse gets caught they can pick up the sack and throw it away. I think the mice like to run inside a sack anyway where it a dark tunnel.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:58 pm:

Yea,this was the result of "brain gas" to put it in nice terms this morning after reading some here on the net.took me longer to fiqure out how to use spell check than to write the stuff.
And yes,I am thinking ,since I now have a plasma cutter and can cut stainless,well,you know what I am thinking,I dont have to type it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:12 pm:

Excellent Mack!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:35 pm:

Mack

Your trap has me giggling out loud....as Jack Benny would say...'now cut that out' !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict, Calgary on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:37 pm:

Ever heard of the "Ball Bearing Mouse Trap"? Rarely do they ever get away, unless they are toyed with. But . . . . . . I like your idea too.
rb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:40 pm:

Mack, I hope your front yard is presentable, since the world is about to beat a path to your front door.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:05 am:

Mack-I get a helluva kick out of your postings.Here is my 'mouse'situation.Across the room from me, asleep on the afgan on the couch,is a fat one eyed female tabby cat.About a year ago,she showed up on my front porch,skinny and obviously homeless.I can't stand to see anything go hungry,so we fed her.Around zero out then,too.Despite my mild [for me,anyhow]protests,my female companion let her in.Turned out the cat is perfectly behaved and sheds minimally.She was also a savage slayer of mice.If she caught one in the middle of the night she would leave it outside our bedroom door.Most amusing when the old lady would get up to go to the can and squish a dead mouse between her toes.Fast forward to present.About 10 mornings ago I was shoveling in the raisin bran in a hurry when I saw beady eyes and a pointed whiskered nose peer out from between the wall and the refrigerator.HAHA,I thought,this'll be fun. The cat was laying on a throw rug not three feet away.She had just finished her morning meal of tuna[in oil,no less]and milk as supplied by above mentioned woman.The mouse came out and looked at the cat.I hollered the cats name and she opened her good eye about an eighth of an inch.She saw the mouse.They looked at one another for about five seconds.Then the cat shut her eye and got re-situated for comfort on the throw rug.The mouse headed across the kitchen floor,in no particular hurry,to the utility room and went between the wall and the dryer.I was looking for something to throw,to no avail.When I was a teenager I could wipe out a rat at twenty feet with an ear of corn when we shoveled out the corn cribs.....There are many paralells between human and animal behavior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:14 am:

You guys are amatures at rodent control. Traps are totally out of date and do not need re-inventing. Check this out:

It was recently reported in the Sacramento Bee (CA) that the University of California at Davis is being overrun by Eastern fox squirrels (a variety of gray tree squirrel). They are so numerous they have become a threat to the campus environmental balance and the university research orchards.

The remedy they plan to employ is to institute a squirrel birth control program. It is expected to reduce the squirrel population to an acceptable level within "a decade".

I'm just a little curious how they plan to get the squirrels to participate in the new program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By former California resident on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:36 am:

Henry,

I am surprised that the Davis campus does not have a large state funded program to accommodate and encourage non productive cross dressing squirrels that would answer the problem of over population.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:47 am:

This will work about the same as human birth control.The really smart squirrels that are more worried about their careers and don't want to be bothered with inconveniences like offspring to raise will gladly embrace the practice.The stupid irresponsible squirrels will still reproduce like tree-going rats,which they are.And when there are no more smart capable squirrels the state of California will build subsidized squirrel houses and distribute nuts to those unable to gather their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:49 am:

Henry,

They have a multi-million dollar program to teach squirrels to "just say no." Once it's in place, squirrel birthrate will drop and California taxpayers will be a whole lot poorer (if that's possible). :-)

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:39 am:

We're so poor now we can't make a down payment on a free lunch.

If they have a program like that for the squirrles they'll have to do the same for the rabbits and the Canadian geese and the wild turkeys and deer & coyotes.

I guy I work with sleeps in the shop in Oakland because the coyotes keep him awake at night where he lives near Stockton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DMC on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:41 am:

No No NO! You guys have been reading the newspaper too much. The plan is to pay the squirrels not to have offspring- and there will be free classes for the squirrels to attend taught by the professors from Davis. Of course free condoms will be available for the squirrels at these classes also.

As a result of all this, Davis will have to limit enrollment of human students for the next 10 years which will result in a shortage of graduate students to teach the squirrels, since by then the professors who dreamed up this plan will have tired of their novel approach to the original problem and will loose interest in it. But the professors are covered, as most of them have retired at 80-100% of their annual salary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:52 am:

Well that is a no brainer. Limiting human students at Davis will reduce our carbon footprint and prevent global warming, or cooling or whatever the politically correct following dejour is today.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:01 am:

I got called last winter about a mouse problem in a rented area below a dentist office "please come kill the mice". Ok,who are the renters? Michigan Right to Life! True story!

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 08:42 am:

Reminds me of the old legend of catching polar bears in the arctic.

Cut a hole in the ice.
Spread peas around the edge.
When the bear comes up to take a pea,
kick him in the ice hole.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:43 am:

Mack,

An excellent idea to support the needs of the hobby!!! Just as important as any other technical advice.

A different twist...

Research has shown that mental conditioning is an equally effective way to eliminate a rodent problem. Trapped rodents squeal and call other rodents, trapped rodents flail away at the trap and will gnaw away at anything in sight until they are removed or die. Pest conditioning is a new technology and results may differ between city mice and country mice.

How it works. Pest are enticed to be drawn to the trap with bait. A hairpin trigger on the trap senses the lightest touch and releases the bail. The bail is equipped to simply smack the living crap out of the varmit causing them to startle and run. After 3 or 4 'smacks' the varmit decides to simply set up opportunity elsewhere.

Disclaimer...country mice seem to take the avoidance association quicker. Some city mice apparently decide that a slap in the face is a feel good occassion and they are drawn to the new style trap even more. For these mice, more conventional guerrila tactics may need to be considered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:58 am:

Some of you guys could stand some more fiber in your diets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Baker on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:48 am:

a better mouse trap - i use a empty 5 gal. plastic bucket, spray the inside with wd40, sprinkle a small handful of grass seed in the botton, place the bucket in the floor near the center of the garage..... always a sure fire mouse catcher. seems they can figure how to get inside to get the grass seed, but the slippery insides of the bucket prevents their escape. (following not for the qeezy...but a 2x4 to the head of the captives, then layed outside - the owls', hawks, whatever enjoy the free meal)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:25 pm:

Some of our local churches had a problem with mice for awhile.
The Baptist church started accepting them, but when some of the mice drowned in the baptism they left.
The mice that were going to the Catholic church gradually became Catholic and so they only showed up on Easter and Christmas.
The mice that went to the Jewish synagogue decided to become Jewish. But when the first mouse was circumcised, the rest never came back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:28 pm:

Mack, like this:

http://www.mouse-traps.co.uk/metal-mouse-trap.html

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:34 pm:

The squirrels in my shed attic have called in reinforcements.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration