Advice installing rear end

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Advice installing rear end
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

Re my 1913 touring, I am now ready to install the rear end in the car. Body and engine are not yet installed.
What steps do I follow to install the rear end.
Do I put the spring into the frame first and then try to attach the rear end.
Or do I attach the spring to the rear end before I attempt to install the two into the frame.
Also, what is the best method for attaching the spring and shackles to the rear perch
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:40 pm:

Garry -- Put the spring in the frame first, then roll the rear end under. You can install one shackle, then put small blocks of 2x4's under the spring eyes and jack up the rear end till the other shackle will reach. Or you can use Uncle Stan's method, which is to leave the perches out of the backing plates and install them to the spring via the shackles, then slip the perches into the backing plates and cinch up the nuts on them. Either way works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

Never thought of putting the perchs in After the springs were attached.I have allways wrestled with tie down straps and wood blocks and used a few german cusswords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:15 pm:

You can put rear spring perches in loose,hook up spring and set it in frame. The tighten up rear perches, Just run the nuts on a couple threads. Don't have to fight it that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:27 pm:

Mike
When you say "roll the rear end under" am I assuming you have already put the wheels on the rear axles. Or are you rolling the rear end on a jack, etc.
Also, should I worry about putting too much stress on the perches and threads if I follow Uncle Stans method.
I assume I attach the drive shaft and radius rods after the rear end is installed.
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:53 pm:

Garry,Completly assemble the rear end with drive shaft and radius rods first. Then install it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:09 am:

Garry -- As Uncle Jack says, assemble everything first. You can use wheels and tires or a jack under the pumpkin, whichever you choose. You probably won't have enough weight on the rear of the frame to use the jacking-with-blocks routine, so I'd suggest Uncle Stan's method this time. If you do that, you won't want the wheels in the way of the perch nuts. I wouldn't worry about stressing the threads on the perches, they're big ones. Hook up an impact wrench and go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:31 am:

Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Stupid me..I did not think about the wheels being in the way of the perch nuts when I asked the question
I will work on the project tomorrow.
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:56 pm:

The 2X4 method works very well. If you don't spread the spring enough by jacking it up, have someone sit in the car or add weight to the body such as flywheels, engine blocks, bricks or whatever you can find and it will spread it enough so the shackle will slip right in.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 03:26 pm:

Hip hip horray.
I managed to get the rear end (ruxstell) installed by removing the perches as recommended.
Now I have another question.
How do I determine the precise position for the perch. I do not want to be out a few degrees and put stress on the rear end or driveshaft. Do I wait till engine is in and the universal joint is connected, or is there another procedure.
Second question
How tight do I make the nuts on the figure 8 shackles.
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 05:47 pm:

Once the spring is seated in the frame,the perches should pretty well be centered where they go. On the shackles,remember they have to move. They should shoulder up and then tighten just enough to line up the cotter pin.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration