Jon Crane - Coil Tester

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Jon Crane - Coil Tester
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 08:48 am:

Jon, I tried to answer your question on the other forum but forgot my password. Then I tried to send you a private email (no dice, requires password). Here was my responce:

Adding the spark plug test function would be easy. You will need to fabricate a pair of brackets out of sheet metal that the plug can lay on. One of these brackets should be grounded and the other should be wired to the hot side of the coil (same connection as the test ring).

I will offer this however, I don't feel that the plug test function really tells you anything about the plug. It may fire fine in free air but not so much under pressure. That is why real plug testers have a connection for shop air. The plug is tested under pressure to replicate what it sees inside the cylinder. A plug tested under pressure is a valid test.

Your tester sounds like it will be neat and you have solved the bench clutter problem by mounting it on a dedicated stand. I like the idea of driving that using the treadle! Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 10:41 am:

Don't know if this will help but it shows how the spark plug tester V brackets were mounted to the coil box housing on a tester. The grounded side on the left uses the spacer bolt and the hot side simply mounts to the insulated front part of the coil box with a copper wire attached to lead going to the brass spark ring or slip ring. Bob

coil testercoil tester

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:05 pm:

Jon
The three terminals on the base of the coil tester are the "magneto", "Horn" and "Ground" terminals.
You can use these terminals to test/adjust a magneto horn by connecting the Horn and Ground terminals to a magneto horn.
You use the Magneto and Ground terminals to check the output of the Model T car magneto.
If you need a wiring diagram for a HCCT send me an email.
Ron the Coilman

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration