King pin Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: King pin Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:09 pm:

What is the size of the threads on the front axle where the king pin screws om the bottom of axle?
And if there is a size of thread repair with the coil slinky thing kit?
thank You Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:32 pm:

They are 1/2"-20 threads and yes, Heli-Coil makes a kit. I used 3/4" long inserts and had to abrasive cut off some extra threads on the bottom. Remember that hole is not threaded all the way to the top - there is some 1/8" of threads missing from the top of the hole.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:06 am:

Thanks Seth.......Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:10 am:

Larry,
Where do you live? I have one of these, I can help you out if you are close enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:17 am:

Jeff: If you need some new inserts for your Stevens tool, top or bottom, I have them. My email is danielh462@centurytel.net Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:44 am:

Seth, This thread repair is something I need to do to my front axle too. I've never used a Heli-coil and I am not sure how to put them in. Does this "kit" you mentioned include the tools for tapping the hole, or would I need to use a regular 1/2"-20 tap to do the job? Where can I buy a Heli-coil? Are they sold in hardware stores, or do I need to order them online, or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:52 am:

Jeff I just purchased one of these tools,it only has the reamer for the tapered bushing.Would it be possible to get a copy of that the article,the only info I could find was Fahnestocks book which was limited.

Dan I sent you an email would like to get some of your bushings. Thanks Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:55 am:

Rick,
A Helicoil kit runs about $30, it includes a special tap, a plastic tool to insert the coil, and a dozen or so coils. The Helicoil tap is not a standard tap it has to have a larger diameter but the same TPI as the bolt. Usually when you go to a larger tap the threads per inch (TPI) changes. The only thing you need that will not be included in the kit is a drill bit to drill out the old threads, the Helicoil kit will identify the size drill bit you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:21 pm:

Bill,
Please send me an e-mail for the additional Stevens tool info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:28 pm:

Rick,
Helicoil and other brand thread repair kits are available at most auto parts stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:35 pm:

Jeff the form would not let me send you an email,I quess I need a password. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:37 pm:

Pay a little more and get a Keensert kit.
It is a threaded bushing that you screw in after you drill and tap the hole.
The insert has 4 little locks that you drive in with a hammer after the insert is screwed in that hold it in place.
Heli-coil kits can be bought at OSH and a lot of hardware stores.
Keenserts are a bit harder to find, bolt stores sometimes have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:30 pm:

The only problem with those is that you have to have enough meat around the hole to drill and tap that much larger. If you have the room, they're great, but helicoils take up a lot less room in places where strength might be affected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:49 pm:

The best way to fix it is with the Stevens Tool. I have done it a lot of ways, Stevens is best. Don't even have to remove axle from car. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:38 pm:

Jeff I live i Miami Florida
Dont know where you are but i might be able to send the axle to you, ifen you are not too far
Thank you for the help invite
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:53 pm:

Larry,
Please send me a private message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:17 pm:

Jeff im unable to use the system
ill give you my e-mail
Leonlarry@hotmail.com
Thank You
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:27 am:

I did a little research on the web to educate myself. I am really impressed with the description of the “Ezlok” product over the Heli-coil. Apparently no special tools are required for the Ezlok. You just drill a hole, tap it with a standard tap size, and install the Ezlok with a screwdriver.

http://www.ezlok.com/

Another similar product is the “Keensert.” From their website:
“Keenserts provide high resistance to torque out and pullout.
The keys in each insert are driven down through the threads
of the parent material, mechanically locking it into place.
These locking keys positively prevent rotation due to torsion
or vibration. Keenserts are available with locking or non
locking internal threads.”

http://www.bjg-design.com/designbook/pdfs/INS-KNS-KNS.pdf

Now one worry that I still have is drilling the hole perfectly straight in the bottom of the axle. Is this something I can do myself on a drillpress and expect to get the hole straight enough, or should I take it to a machinist?

Ezlok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken todd on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:59 am:

I tried going to that link: http://www.ezlok.com/
It didn't work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:26 pm:

Rick: The problem with the ezlok is getting it in there straight. If you do not you will have a hard time getting the king pin in. Best way is the Stevens Tool. It fixes the top and the bottom of the axle. Email me, I do that. danielh462@centurytel.net Dan

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration