Stolen 1915 Roadster Alert!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Stolen 1915 Roadster Alert!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randell on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:34 am:

The car, a black 1915 Ford Model T Roadster bearing Oklahoma tag AV6-713, was inside a 16-foot white car trailer taken from a residence near SE 149 and Sunny Lane Road about 8 a.m., resident Don Coshow said. The trailer has a blue interstate symbol on the side stamped with manufacturer number 00788, Coshow said.
The carís owner, Herman Campbell, said the car is worth about $30,000, but its sentimental value far exceeds any dollar amount.
Campbell started rebuilding the car in 1946. With repairs and maintenance, it has been running since the early Ď50s.
"Itís something Iíve had all my life. I donít want to lose it. Itís just like I like it ... Itís perfect,Ē he said.
Campbell, now 87, acquired the car in the 1940s after returning from Honolulu where he had been stationed for four years. As a young man returning from war and starting a family, he couldnít afford a new vehicle, so he gathered every piece of the car from western Oklahoma, many of which had been neglected on rural lands in the Carnegie and Mountain View area.
Since then, Campbell has toured the country with the car, driving it to both sides of the Grand Canyon and to the top of Pikeís Peak several times.
"Itís been everywhere. You just name it,Ē Campbell said.
Campbell said he still takes the car on about eight tours a year.
"Iíve signed for tours this year and now I ainít got no car,Ē he said.
Also inside the trailer are his fatherís tire tools, and other implements that cannot be replaced. Campbell said heís not sure if the thief even knew what was inside the trailer.
"To lose that car, I almost cried this morning. In fact, I did a little,Ē Campbell said.

A neighbor saw the man pull up to the residence, hook up the car trailer and leave in a late-1990s model, dark metallic green GM pickup with a matching camper shell and loud exhaust pipes. The thief is described as a white male in his 40s, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing 160-175 pounds with curly brown hair, Coshow said. If you have information, call the Oklahoma City police or Crime Stoppers at 235-7300.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:45 am:

My sentiments Randall. I sure hope you get your beautiful car back. If you do, you may want to consider equipping it with lojack or similar car tracking device. As much as your car is worth both monetarily and in sentiment the cost would be negligible. Everyone who says "it can't happen to me" should talk to Randall. It can and may. www.lojack.com. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:49 am:

Something like that happening just knocks the wind out of a guy. Sounds like you've got excellent information for law enforcement to track this joker down. I just hope he does not destroy the trailer and it's contents in the process. Keep the faith Mr. Campbell... we're all pullin for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:52 am:

That is what I was thinking, Donald. Time is of the essence before the criminal destroys the evidence.

I hope everyone in the vicinity of this crime and in the states surrounding Oklahoma will print out this thread to keep with them and be watching for all the clues given in Randall's plea. The white car trailer with blue Interstate symbol, The curly brown haired middle aged white man driving a dark colored metallic green GM pickup truck with a matching camper shell and loud exhaust. Anyone in this vicinity needs to be watching while driving, in neighborhoods, out in the country, on highways, in store parking lots, trying to glimpse back yards or open garages. Warehouses, behind shopping malls. A trailer this size would be hard to hide. If you see a man driving a pickup like described, follow him and get his license number and call the police and show them this thread.

Everyone be on the lookout on auction sites for whole cars or a lot of parts from this brass era Model T. I went to www.interstatecargo.com to see what the blue interstate symbol looks like. How big is the symbol? Does it cover the whole side of the trailer like is shown on the site or is it small and indiscrete? It is an enclosed trailer isn't it?

Thank you and good luck.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:25 pm:

This happenned awhile back only it was a Model A inside. The thiefs were after the trailer, had no idea the car was inside. Amazingly, the owner saw his trailer on an e-bay posting and called the police who arrested the culprits, The Model A was found in a nearby building.

My dad had a Model T tool display stolen right out of this garage in Denver, and my brother-in-law had a restored set of wooden spoke wheels for his 1914 T stolen out of the shop building on his farm in Iowa. In both cases the police said that somebody had to know what they were stealing, and probably had a buyer for them since there were other things that looked less like "junk" but were lower in value in the same locations. Sad commentary....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:49 pm:

I hope he gets his car back soon, it's a shame people behave this way. Was the car strapped down inside the trailer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Micheal Crowe on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:50 pm:

I hope you find this culprit. I know Herman and his duaghter and son-in-law. They are fine people and he is an avid Model T guy. If it comes this way he'll be lucky to ever meet the law.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

Herman and Flo are wonderful people. They and their nice '15 Roadster are fixtures on the many tours each year in this part of the country. Here's hoping they get their car returned to them in one piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey D. Judson on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 05:07 pm:

I, and most of my family are automotive enthusiasts. I have forwarded this thread to almost everyone on my contact list. They range from Milwaukee and Pennsylvania to Phoenix. I doubt any of us will run across it, but stranger things have happened...

Good luck! :-)

Jeffrey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 06:03 pm:

Wayne, you are close to correct. It was a 1920 like new Model T Touring inside and was found in Bowie, Maryland about three miles from my house. I doubt it would have ever been found, if the owner had not found it on e-bay and alerted the police.

The thief had several other storage units full of power tools, motorcycles and motorcycle parts. He has apparently never been charged with stealing any of that equipment.

He stole the trailer to move that equipment to South Carolina to sell. He didn't notice the trailer was an unusual Model T size, 8 foot tall and 8 foot wide. That gave the e-bay find away. He had just sold five other trailers on e-bay, with 100 percent positive feedback.

He served 18 days in jail before making bail. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail, 5 year probation and fined $1,700 restitution. He served the other 12 days on six weekends.

The owner is on the right, inspecting his T as it was pulled from the storage unit. Erwin Mack is on the left, explaining Model T operations to the police task force that recovered the trailer and Model T.

Stolen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scudder on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:06 pm:

Boy, I long for the days when we could string a thief like this up from the nearest oak tree...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:29 pm:

Dont we all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Eden on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:08 pm:

Dear Herman & Flo,
We will certainly keep our eyes pealed for your beautiful car. I pray you find it soon and that the theif is caught. We have been on many tours with you and will keep you in our prayers.
Bill and Linda Eden

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad in Germany on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 07:23 am:

I'll keep my eyes out here in Europe in case the thief decides to export the Model T or the trailer.

Fordially,
Brad in Germany

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:41 pm:

I'm just bumping this back up to the top of the forum so no one misses it. Both the trailer and the car are distinctive enough that they should be easy to spot if they surface.

I e-mailed the Oklahoma City Police Department's PIO to let them know about this thread and the fact that the T community is aware of the theft. They thanked me and said they could use all the help they can get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:12 pm:

Dick,
Is there a picture (to post) or description of the trailer in question?

Harvey .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:14 pm:

Randell - My 2 cents for what it's worth:

As a retired railroad police officer, I can tell you that during my 34 year career, I can't count how many times we recovered stolen trailers on railroad property. Usually U-Haul trailers that had been stolen for a one-time useage, and then the empty trailer was "dumped" on RR property, usually in some sort of desolate (at night) industrial area. James Golden's case is a typical example of someone stealing what was thought by the thief as an empty trailer. My theory is that the perpetrator feels like dropping a stolen trailer off on RR property affords less chance of being spotted by someone that might observe such activity as "suspicious activity" and make an immediate "911" call. Also, the perp feels like the trailer will eventually become recovered and returned to the owner eventually, but not too soon, and therefore, not as much chance of getting caught. I believe that there are those that actually believe that this sort of thing is not really "stealing"; they just "borrowed" the trailer to use it temporarily, and as long as it finds it's way back to the owner, what real harm was done, right? The fact that they find that the trailer actually had something in it immediately becomes a problem to the guy who just wanted to "borrow" an empty trailer.

Be sure that whatever local law enforcement agency your theft report was made to notifies local railroad police as RR police agencies all over the country do communicate with each other and with all public law enforcement.

I realize that recovery of the Model T is much more important to you than recovery of the trailer, however, if the empty trailer might be setting on railroad property somewhere, recovery of the trailer might lead to recovery of the Model T.

Again, just my $0.02 worth, but I sure hope you get the Model T back in good shape, and the trailer too,..........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:18 pm:

Harvey, I don't know. The description is in Randell's original post at the top of the forum.

Harold, the car belongs to the Campbells. I'm not sure where Randell fits in, but I assumed that he's also in Oklahoma City and knows Herman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:22 pm:

Randell - I guess I should have said that I hope your friend gets his Model T and trailer back, and I think it's pretty neat that he has a friend like you to help in this regard,.........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:27 pm:

Dick - Thanx,....I was typing at the same time you were,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:28 pm:

I have posted this on a hotrod type forumn I particapate on and since then it has been forwarded to others.I felt like the body for example could marketed for the purpose and felt like it wouldnt hurt anything to get it to as many eyes as possiable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 01:15 am:

Right at 2 years ago, a friend of mine here in Wichita had his garage broken in to and lost quite a bit of stuff, including an open trailer. Three weeks ago, my wife & I were heading to lunch and saw the trailer on the road. We followed it, got the particulars as to where it went and called 911. The police were there in about 5 minutes. It was recovered (less a load of stuff that was on it when it was stolen...which including a complete 1916 T engine) and given to the owner (my friend) on the spot. The guy that had it said he bought it from someone (we think the guy who stole it) about a year ago and gave $750 for it. The guy we recovered it from had been using it in his home remodeling business. His wife was moaning about losing $750, my wife told her, "these folks lost $100K in the robbery, how do you think they feel?" That gal also said she worked for the Sheriff's office...don't you think she would have checked the VIN # on the trailer? She probably said, "Oh, honey, I wouldn't tag that trailer if it were me!" What got me was that the trailer was still in town, and it ended up within a couple of miles of where my friend lives! The good news (actually rec'd a while back) was that the person who stole it, and his wife (both meth heads) are serving time...like 15-20 years. Sure do hope that Herman & Flo retrieve their car/trailer. I've been on many a tour with them...they are fine folks!
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 01:05 pm:

Has anyone ask the TV stations to do a story? The more people that see this the better. I saw Herman,Flo,and the car in Texarkana and my heat go's out to them. I'm keeping my eyes open around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 01:15 pm:

Just a post to keep this near the top.
The ignorant fools who stole this trailer and car have NO IDEA how many people are aware of the theft.
Cars have been recovered in the past thanks to other alert T owners, we can only hope and pray that it will happen here as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 02:06 pm:

Dennis, I'd be upset and angry if this happened to anyone in the T world, but I am extra upset and angry that it happened to Herman and Flo. They are fixtures at T tours in the midwest and are one of the nicest couples you could hope to meet. I too am hoping that the jerk who did this has stirred up more hornets than he realizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:21 pm:

It's upsetting to hear of such a theft, and somehow it's worse when the local and State police can't help any more than they can.

When I go to the DMV to get a license for any of my vehicles, I supply the make, model, year, and color. It's all noted on the Registration certificate I am required to keep in the vehicle in case a cop asks for proof of ownership.

That's a "Database." As we all know, databases can be searched. Computers do it all the time, and remarkbly quickly.

You see it in the movies all the time. Why not in real life?

If a neighbor saw the theives hooking up to the trailer, and can give any kind of description, like, "A recent model truck, maybe Ford or Dodge, dark blue or black" (I made that up), why can't the DMV search their database and give the cops in the area a list of maybe 50 possible matches, so they can be on the lookout?

It seems so simple. Maybe that's why they don't do it??

My cousin was murdered in her home last year. The neighbor saw the perp running away (black male, about 35) and saw his vehicle outside the house, and was able to give the police the approximate age ('50's or '60's, possibly '70's) of the truck, its color (green with a white hood), and the first 2 of 3 letters at the beginning of the license(we use 3 letters and 3 numbers). And, that it was an in-state license.

Figure 26 possible letters and 3 numbers missing. That's a maximum of 26,000 licenses. How many on a truck? Maybe 10,000? How many trucks were green? Maybe 1,000? How many were older than, say, 10 years? Maybe 100? And how many State Policemen who have computers in their cars and could be asked to check out an address in their 'district' and at the very least see if the owner is white or black and whether the truck has a white hood? Certainly several thousand!

But with all that information, they did nothing. He was caught because he cashed some checks of hers and the bank picked up on the bogus signauture. They had to stake out the store where he cashed them for 2 weeks before he came back for more. They could have had him in a day if they had used the database......

Here endeth my rant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:17 pm:

Peter,What you have said makes perfect sense.That is why they dont do it.
It angers me to no end to see how thefts are addressed nowadays.Kinda like when I was still in the firedepartment,once the chief found out the homeowner had insurance,the tatics purty much changed to get it under control and salvage and overhaul.The mindset is,"Let insurance fix it".
Let insurance replace it is another mindset that really burns me up.

The mindset comes from,"it is only material possesions " and in this throw away society you arent really expected to have anything of any age or value anyhow.
I have things money cant buy,It cant buy my grandpals photographs,it cant replace the coat my other grandfather wore in the 40's while operateing a early Caterpillar dozer,or the photgraph of him in the coat on the dozer.
Just examples.
If it were possiable to get thru to these people with this type mindset we could improve the way crimes are delt with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:03 am:

A Sheriff pal of mine dropped by the house tonight just to say hello.
I don't see him since I retired. We were talking about this subject.
The average beat cop would like to solve thefts as much as they would violent crimes. They are out on the streets and they see what these losses do to the good people they are sworn to protect but the departments don't have "CSI" style recources to devote to non violent crames.
That is why it's so important that WE do everything we can to see to it that these folks get their car back. Insurance can replace the trailer but no amount of money can replace a member of the family, which I know my car is to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:28 am:

Also, it would be beneficial for the owner of this car to post the engine # on this topic.
I'd like to write it down and keep it in my wallet. I for one, am going to be very curious about ANY early Roadsters I see at car shows that fit this description here in Florida.
The trailer is easy to get rid of, the car isn't. He's got a "hot potato" on his hands. Even if he trys to part it out, selling Model T parts in the condition these parts are in, are going to raise questions. The ONLY people interested in these parts are going to be other T owners, and one of the first questions they are likely to ask is "WHY are you selling T parts in this condition?".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 07:59 am:

Is there a photo of the trailer available? If so please post it. I think we would most likely see the trailer first and not what is inside until later.

Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 08:47 am:

Cops are overworked and we tend to think they have all the neat gadgets that the TV shows have. NUMB3RS is an entertaining show that uses math to solve crimes but most of the math theory applied in the show cannot be practically applied in real life crime solving. Same for the CSI series. There are only 2 or 3 forensics labs in the country that come close to what you see on TV and most crime lab supervisors would give their eye teeth to have the equipment shown on those shows.

A few years ago, a friend from St. Paul who had a nice original '13 Touring had the car and enclose trailer it was stored in stolen from a lot in St. Paul. He's an electrician by trade and, of course, the trailer had his firms name on the outside and was stored in a lot that has a large garage where is does his restorations, no house (bought the lot after it was burned down) and is in a not so great neighborhood. I'm sure the thieves had no idea there was an antique car in the trailer. They probably had visions of lots of easy-to-move power tools, etc. Nothing was ever recovered. In the Twin Cities a lot of this stuff heads to Chicago where it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Another T buddy has had two trailers stolen from a storage facility. The second one had Colorado boots on the wheels but that didn't stop the thieves from winching it onto a flatbed. These were open trailers which I suspect are even easier to move on the market than enclosed ones.

A Lojack is probably the best bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 09:19 am:

Having a T stolen is like having a child kidnapped or a beloved pet stolen. Though just an object of wood, steel, brass, rubber, fabric, bolts and nuts, they attain thier own personalities over the years and become members of the family and, without them, there is a big empty spot that can't be filled with anything, or any amount of insurance money and, with something like this, the family members are left to wonder what is going to happen to it, at the mercy of the scumbag that stole it. Will it wind up parked forever in an abandoned garage, parted out, wind up in a watery grave or shipped overseas for sale to a Saudi sheik? We must find Herman's Model T.

"Randall" was nice enough to take the time to post the initial announcement and particulars of this crime, but we have heard nothing more from him nor updates as to what steps they have taken, such as what law enforcement agencies have been notified, the name and number of the detective who is in charge of the investigation etc. Nor have we heard from the owners, Herman and Flo. I know the owners must be distraught over their loss and, perhaps have been reading of our efforts, our well wishes and concerns in the Forum, but if I were to suffer such a loss and knew so many people were concerned and trying to help, I'd be on the Forum everyday with updates and information, even if there was nothing new to report and when questions are asked or requests for more information are submitted by a nationwide, no, worldwide network of Model T members who are trying to help, such as a request for a picture or a better description of the trailer and trailer emblem or engine numbers, etc. it might help if our requests and questions were acknowledged and answered by those closest to the case. The more information we all have the better the chances of someone seeing something that might bring this Model T home to Herman and Flo before it's too late.

Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 09:43 am:

According to the initial article, Herman is 87. Without knowing for sure, I suspect he doesn't do Internet. Maybe someone else from the Oklahoma City area could keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:25 am:

Herman is indeed not a computer guy. Someone else will need to step up and act as a liason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By j1mgolden on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:40 am:

There is a geat concern among some of our club members that this Model T will never be looked for or ever found by any police department, not that they would not want to help.

They all just have more pressing problems, are under-staffed, overworked and would not place a high priority on an old car.

Someone from this group will have to spot the vehicle and offer them a tip, if the car is ever recovered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:40 pm:

I spoke with Don Coshow and he said the story has been in the paper and on TV, and the police are keeping in touch. I don't know how to do this but maby someone could set up an acount for a reward for the car. If anyone knows how do this please post the info. Maby we can get more news time with a reward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

To be posted in the local papers in towns surrounding the area of the crime as soon as possible...

$$REWARD$$: For information leading to the recovery of the 1915 Ford Model T Roadster of Herman Campbell, license number AV6-713 and to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for its' disappearance...including description of the trailer, truck and criminal.

Whoever would be willing, they would need to set up an escrow account at a bank in the name of "Herman and Flo Campbell Model T Reward Fund". The information (bank and account number), could be posted on the forum and donations in check form made out to the "Campbell Reward Fund", could be sent directly to the bank and deposited in the account or sent to the trustee of the account, who would be responsible for the fund. Of course full disclosure of the account information would be necessary with everyone here having full disclosure of the amounts donated with the trustee posting weekly account statements on the Forum. We cannot know how much the reward would be until all donations were in.

If the car or perpetrator was not found after a year, or whatever time frame is agreeable by all, the donations would be returned to the donators with interest. Of course there would be bank fees, especially if an online account needed to be set up for everyone to have access, which would be divided up and evenly deducted from all donators.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:20 pm:

What's the engine number on this stolen T? It would be nice to know, so someone's legit T doesn't get tagged as the stolen one.
(Forgive me if it's already been posted here, I looked but did not find.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:40 pm:

My sentiments exactly, Jerry. In a effort to be more informed, we ask for clarification and for more information, but get no response from those that know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 07:44 pm:

When I met the police to verify the stolen Maryland Model T, the first question was, "where is the serial number located?" The first action then was to verify the serial number with the title paperwork.

I asked what if the numbers didn't match and was told in that case the car would go to the impound yard and be sold at a police auction, unless the owner could produce other documentation to prove that was his vehicle.

The trailer serial number did not match, as the original number had been very neatly ground off. The owner photos postively identifed the trailer as his property. So he got that back and then still had to pay for a re-registration and new license plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:28 am:

Bringing this back up to the top...but does anyone have a picture of the trailer to post?

Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:50 am:

A trailer photo would help.

I have been thinking enclosed trailer, but the Texas Interstate trailer website is rather wild with activity and only lists heavy open construction trailers, most of which appear to be yellow.

Click http://www.interstatetrailers.com/ for more details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:08 pm:

I've been on a number of tours with Herman and Flo, but I don't think I've ever taken pictures of other tour participants' trailers. Does anyone in OKC possibly have a picture of it, or does Herman have a picture someone there could scan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 02:37 pm:

Jim Patrick - I think the reward fund is a great idea, however, I have an idea that may make this concept even more workable. In the event that the reward money is not used during the agreed upon time period (and I certainly hope that the money is rewarded to someone for positive results), but if not, how about this:

Those who have donated to such a fund have already long since written off this donation as "money well spent" for a worthy cause. I'm sure they never expected to get it back, and probably don't really need the money anyway. Because it would be a lot of work to return each and every single donation, why not just donate the money to the Model T Museum? Even tho' we'd all like to see the reward money result in the recovery of the stolen Model T and trailer, if the money is never used for that purpose, the money going to the new Model T museum would still be used for a very worth cause within our hobby, and would eliminate a lot of work for somebody having to contact and return the money to all of the original donors. Just a "thought", for what it's worth,..........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 02:57 pm:

How about a constant fund for the next time something like this happens. Maybe the word will get out that the model T guys are close knit and take care of their own in this regard. We can still argue about the-
"Topics I've noticed that often send T people into a frenzy....".
Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 03:22 pm:

Harold.

While I would be agreeable to that, until it is rewarded, it would still need to be regarded as the property of the donators and subject to their individual wishes, were it to go unrewarded. Even a vote as to what to do with the unrewarded money would be improper. Let's say a majority of donators wanted their donations to be presented to the Model T Museum but the minority wanted their donations returned to them. We could not possibly donate the minority's donations against their will, so those that wanted their money returned would need to get it back.

My first hope would be that soooo many people would donate that it would be an absolute nightmare to return the money to them if it went unclaimed. At least that way, we would have a substantial reward to give. My second hope would be that the money would be rewarded to the provider of the information that resulted in the recovery of the car and apprehension of the criminal.

Regarding the first hope... with a little accurate bookwork, it would not be too difficult to return the reward money to those that wanted it back and, those that wanted it donated to the Model T Museum could specify that.

Again, everything would need to be done above board by the trustee, in such a way that there was no doubt whatsoever by anyone as to where the money is.

Any bankers out there?

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 03:27 pm:

You gonna' trust a Bankster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 03:29 pm:

I'll trust you. Wanna' do it? LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 05:03 pm:

Another idea that I haven't seen mentioned and would eliminate a lot of hassle and paperwork would be to start a thread and let each one that wants to contribute to the fund pledge a dollar amount to be paid when and if the reward is needed.
Gordon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:12 pm:

If the car and trailer are not found and the reward money not paid, how about it goes to the owner that lost his car to help cover what the Ins. Co. didn't? I don't know if anything would be wrong with that idea but it would help me feel better if it were my car and trailer knowing how much others cared to help in such a bad time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:50 pm:

Just my opinion,but everyone should have and carry their own insurance and we should stay out of their business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:47 pm:

Well,I can see where a reward program and steady fund would be a good idea.a person could donate to a Theft recovery reward fund,on a yearly basis.And when a theft happens,a reward could be posted quick,instead of weeks later waiting for peoples checks to come in so they can make a donation.The account could earn a small intrest,and the money would be there for any theft of a model T or large parts collection,not just 1 in particular.As we all enjoy our T's and hate to see anyone loose 1.

Insurace seldom covers the full replacement cost of anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:33 pm:

That's what I've been thinking Mack ever since Herb Iffrig suggested it. Start a permanent, running fund with the reward ready to be offered immediately wherever there is a theft reported. The reward could be say, $500.00 and if we could keep $1,000.00 in the fund and replenish it everytime a reward was presented. It could be a perpetual thing with the understanding that the donations are non-refundable and will remain in the fund until rewarded. The reward has to be there in a specific amount ready to be offered immediately in reward notices posted in newspapers and on news programs around the region of the theft instead of weeks later after the crime has taken place and the Model T transported out of the area to Lord knows where. It's almost too late to offer a reward for this Model T because even if the fund was started immediately, it will take weeks before accumulating enough donations to be a serious incentive. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

I'm still curious as to why the neighbor didn't call the cops when he saw this happening. Or call Herman. Or get the license number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:53 pm:

The neighbor may have thought the guy was helping Herman and only upon being told of the theft realized he should have walked over to find out if the guy had any business over there. I'm sure he regrets not getting more involved, but the natural tendency of most people is to not get involved in other people's business. I guess Herman is lucky the neighbor even took enough notice of the fellow in his driveway to come forward with a relatively accurate description of the man and his truck, which is better than nothing. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james dimit on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:44 pm:

I was just on the hamb board, they have a post going about this. It sounds like the car turned up dumped in a parking lot in Oklahoma city, no trailer. I hope this is true, the trailer can be replaced much easier than the T.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:54 pm:

Rumors are flying in the T circles that the car has been found....stay tuned...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:54 pm:

What is the hamb board? How do you get there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:55 pm:

We're tuned... we're tuned...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:56 pm:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326890&page=6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:02 pm:

Even the hotrodders we all seem to rant about got involved searching/posting info for this old timers stock Model T Ford. I no longer recklessly bad mouth them from this day forward...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:25 pm:

Oh the hamb is a peacefull place compared to the forumn I copied and pasted this info to.But I got several replys of people saying they were putting it on other car related forumns and such.
You have to understand even though we are working with original old cars with different goals than the rodders,we all have alot in common as far as the effort to do the work,the cost,and the enjoyment.And most of all we have in common the feeling of loss of our pride and joy if it is stolen..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:37 pm:

Can anyone in Oklahoma City confirm that Herman and Flo have their car back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:26 pm:

I just got off the phone with Herman, the car was found. The trailer was in another place and found also. All looks good, with no damaged done. What a gift.

Mike Bender
Tulsa OK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:37 pm:

That is great news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Watt on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:50 pm:

This is good news and I am sure Mr. Campbell is one very very happy man.
Happy motoring for 2009.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:09 am:

What wonderful news! So great to hear something positive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:20 am:

I've got a gut feeling that the thieves thought they were stealing something other than a T & when they realized they had the Elephant in the living room they dropped it like a hot potato. If it were here in San Diego it would have been in Mexico in 30 minutes.

Just glad everything came out fine, especially with the personal history. I'm hoping there are some finger prints.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 02:05 am:

Excellent!
NOW, lets hope the cops will take the time to dust everything for prints and run them through the data base and go after the SOB's that took it in the first place!
$5.00 says the prints are on file and come back to Punks who have done this many times before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Gonzaz on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 02:43 am:

Wow great news

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:46 am:

From personal experience I doubt the case will be pursued further. They didn't dust for prints when my uncles place was broken into and a tractor stolen. Great to know that the car and trailer have been recovered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 09:10 am:

Well it is good news the car and trailer were found.That was great for the owner.It worked out better than could be expected.I doubt much else will be done from law enforements standpoint.But I am glad they did what they did and they should be thanked for it..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 09:53 am:

Great!!It would be nice to know the rest of the story so maby [we] might learn what to and what not to do. From what little experance i have my $10.00 says covered by ins,recovered,unless the cops involved are State Police,it will be droped?? Very little experance,just what i learned the hard way! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:48 am:

Congratulations and thanks to all involved in recovering the car and trailer. For once we have a happy ending. The T is back home where she belongs and Herman and Flo can finally have a good nights sleep for the first time in weeks. Now everyone... please re-read this entire thread, learn from it and take measures to ensure this never happens to you. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

Click http://newsok.com/recovery-of-stolen-model-t-brings-happiness-for-oklahoma-city- owner/article/3341794?custom_click=headlines_widget for the followup news article.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:08 pm:

No Place Like Home For Stolen Model T

1-30-2009

Taken from a website search for Stolen Model T

The case of the stolen 1915 Ford Model T Roadster has reached a happy conclusion for owner Herman Campbell.

The car, built from scratch by Campbell in the 1940s, was found in "excellentĒ condition Thursday behind the Diamond Ballroom at 8001 S Eastern, a few miles from where it was stolen.

Campbell, 87, was visiting the doctor Thursday when he received the news, said Doris Coshow, a friend and neighbor from whose residence the car was taken on Jan. 18.

"Heís one happy young man,Ē she said. "He talks about it like a child.Ē

She said police called her about 3:30 p.m. to report the discovery, and her husband immediately went to recover the car. Coshow said the car had apparently been behind the building for a few days.

About 6 p.m., police found the trailer at SW 119 and Rockwell Avenue, southwest of Will Rogers World Airport, she said. Her husband and Herman Campbellís grandson recovered it Thursday night.

Coshow said that as each day passed without word from police, her hopes of a recovery began to diminish.

"I started getting really down about it. I thought, ĎIf they havenít found it by now, they probably never will,íĒ Coshow said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob sell on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 01:13 pm:

WONDERFUL ! WHAT A HAPPY ENDING TO A HORRIBLE EVENT! THANK GOD! AND EVERYONE WHO HELPED THIS MAN!

MADE MY DAY BEEN WATCHING HOPEING AND PRAYING IT WOULD BE FOUND!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration