Here's an old picture that hits pretty close to home

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Here's an old picture that hits pretty close to home
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:46 am:

I got this picture "online" from our local newspaper. It fits pretty well here.

I've known Martha for years now. It's hard to believe that she's 100. About the only thing that's wrong with her is her vision. She's legally blind with macula(r?) degeneration. She's sharp as a tack. She had to stop playing bridge a couple of years ago. It seems she couldn't remember the 13 cards in dummy after her grandson told her what they were as he laid them down - wish I could do that. She's still living alone, but her grandkids do keep pretty close tabs on her. She's a die hard Democrat, but is extremely upset with the path the party is taking today.
Anyway, what year is the T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:40 pm:

Fred,

It might be a 1913. Hard to tell if the front door goes to the frame or not.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:11 pm:

The windshield tells all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

Thanks for posting,Fred.I get a big kick out of stories of people of advanced age that are still doing OK.Glad you enjoyed the Harry Grisso story.I am going to attempt to get a copy of a picture taken in front Harrys' store in the mid 20s'.In this picture,there is a very large sidewalk radio horn speaker out front with locals crowded around listening to a baseball game.Also there is the visible type gas pump and intersting cars parked along the street.Harrys'father/uncle owned the hardware store then.They sold radios,which young Harry was in charge of.Stewart-Warner and maybe Ozarka.I have a Stewart-Warner 325 that I think came from there either new or used......T in picture probably '14.Windshield folded back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

Nice pic. Do you have a current one of the lady?
Every year we bring our neighbor (on the next street) over to our house for her birthday. Three years ago at 100 I tried to get her in our 26 but it wasn't done in time. Then for 101 & 102 but no luck. Last March at 103 she came over waving like the queen. Don't know if she appreciated it as much as I did. This March we will do it again. She is very sharp and tells of acting on stage in NY and movies in CA. Hope we all have the ability to share stories at 100+.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:51 pm:

Nope, I don't have her current picture, but look at her mother in the photo. They look about the same. No tiny little thing here. Martha's not fat or anything, just "big boned". I hope she wouldn't be offended by me saying that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:57 pm:

Fred,

If you post the link to the on line newspaper the photo came from -- it may be a little easier to tell. If the top windshield folds to the rear it is a 1914 style and if it folds forward it is a 1913 style. The 1914 windshield brace also has a curve near the bottom to allow the windshield to be folded back while the 1913 brace is straight since the windshield folds the other direction. And of course the 1914 doors are curved at the bottom and don't go all the way to the bottom of the body like the square 1913 doors.

From what I can see (it isn't as clear as I would like) it is a 1914 Model T (they were produced starting around Aug 1913 and depending on how the state did the registration it could have been registered as a 1913 or a 1914 depending on when it was sold etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:40 pm:

I think I can see the bead at the bottom of the door, which would indicate its being a '14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:43 pm:

It also looks like the windshield is folded back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:58 pm:

A couple of points: The picture is the same size here as in the paper. (I don't have the link now, but it wouldn't improve anything anyway.) How old does Martha look in the picture? She was born 100 years ago a couple of days ago. If she's five, then the car would have to be almost new. Question: Were the radiators polished from the factory, or is that something "we" do today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 06:38 am:

here's the link to the paper: http://www.hartfordcitynewstimes.com/articles/2009/01/20/news/local_news/doc496e 86e66a1d1715298946.txt
and the picture: http://images.townnews.com/hartfordcitynewstimes.com/content/articles/2009/01/20 /news/local_news/doc496e86e66a1d1715298946.jpg

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration