Kevlar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Kevlar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Wood on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 07:52 pm:

I bought new Kevlar band linings three years ago and just got around to installing them. They seem to be too thick and will not hook up to the shaft without being too tight. Anyone else have this problem? I have never had this problem with Kevlar before. George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gulfoil on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 07:58 pm:

From your message it sounds like you have installed them before. If not, did you start at both ends and work your way back to the middle like in the instructions?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Wood on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:15 pm:

I installed them as per instructions the same as many times in the past. There is no way for me to compare thickness without tearing down a running T. They look thicker. Would someone please mike a new kevlar band and tell me what they should be? Their was a post several months ago about the same problem and I am sorry now that I never payed any attention. Thanks for any help someone can give me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:24 pm:

Are you sure the bands are perfectly round? Are they too tight with the adjustments as loose as possible" They usually will compact as you drive it for the first few miles and have to adjust them several times before they seat in. If they are perfectly round and the adjustment is as loose as you can get it, I don't know what to say.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:30 am:

Do you still have the box they came in? There are at least two different suppliers of kevlar linings and there is a difference in thickness. I have run into a similar problem. We were able to just barely get the nuts on with the thicker bands.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim williams on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:34 am:

I bought my kevlar bands from snyder's and they seem to work good. Which part supplier has the thicker bands because I to heard that there are two different thicknesses?

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:10 am:

I don't have any measurements handy, but I believe the Red Hook bands are thicker than the Rocky Mountain Machine bands. Anybody else agree or disagree?

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:02 am:

We have just compared new Kevlar linings from Rocky Nountain Machine to older woven bands from a Cantex/Scandinavia box. The woven bands are not necessarily original to the box. Can they be identified by the Christmasy red and green edges?

Kevlar 0.170-0.175"

Fabric 0.215-0.2.20"

The fabric bands had a more interesting smell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 02:21 pm:

Careful, that kitty might just drag 'em to the litter box & bury them <grin>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 02:57 pm:

If they wear forever, why are they so thick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:16 pm:

The ones with the colored edges are a set of old Montgomery Ward bands. They are very thick compared to other NOS ones I have and are probably thicker than new Kevlar. I don't use Kevlar so I don't have any to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:33 pm:

Measured some linings, Kevlar (left) 0.212"
NOS cotton lining (center) 0.225"
and 'tar-baby' crummy modern Scandinavia 0.184"

Don't know the Kevlar mfg, but the ends are chemical sealed right at the ends.

Sorry, the cat wouldn't do a sniff test, she's laid out cold here tonite in FL, its going down to a freezing 19 degrees!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:05 am:

Dan is that what Kevlar bands are really made of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 04:28 pm:

Just a follow up on the dimension or thickness of the Kevlar lining vs. Ford cotton. Anyone know the thickness of std Ford type lining?

Note the lower part of this adv for band linings, available were "Oversize" woven Raybestos, 3/16" thick, ( 0.1875").

Interesting that the Kevlars run at min of 0.175" (Rocky Mtn Brand in Chris Bamford post) and max 0.212" (my unknown brand) Maybe some Kevlars are pretty fat afterall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Wood on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 09:58 pm:

Thanks for all of the help. The bands are .212 and just to thick for my new drums. I am going to pull the kevlar off and try to pre compress it by driving the car over it. Professional huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 08:57 am:

George,

Good luck, but I doubt that will work. The material is just thicker. I know that I measured my bands when I first ran into this, but I could not find the numbers. 0.175 vs 0.212 is about 0.040 difference in thickness, or a difference in the diameter of the band of about 0.080. This should make a difference in the band adjustment of about 0.24 inches, or about a quarter of an inch. I know that it doesn't sound like the problem you are having, but I have seen it happen twice...The Rocky Mountain bands seem to install with no problem, the Red Hook bands seem to go on too tight. Keep in mind that the bands WILL need to be tightened several times in about the first couple of miles of operation, but I still think the Red Hook bands fit a little 'tight'.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:14 am:

The thicker bands are excellent for transmissions where the drums have been cut down a bit to clean them up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:37 am:

Wood is good.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration