Yesterday we received our 1925 Roadster and the 1922 Tourer. Yes, it`s that Tourer we wanted to drive from California to New Jersey but found out that trucking it was a smarter idea. The 1925 Roadster was already waiting in New Jersey for its mate (or maid ;-) Gorgeous looking car.
The Roadster has a True Fire ignition and a 12V battery. We hooked up the battery, switched to bat etc. and she fired. Everything seemed o.k. - yesterday.
Today the ammeter didn`t move at all and the battery was almost dead (at least down enough for the starter not to turn). We recharched and started the engine again - no problem, but still no charge, or discharge with the headlights on and the engine off. The ammeter just wouldn`t move. We suspect that the generator will not charge the battery. The car has been sitting for almost four months, so the battery should be low, but...
Any suggestions appreciated, thanks and Happy New Year from abroad (Northern Germany, that is),
I will probably get criticised for what I am going to post next, but it works on one of my cars. When I let the car set for months at a time and start it up, the generator doesn't work. I take a wire and bypass the cutout for just a second while it is running, and from then on it charges fine until I let it set for a long period. The field poles apparently lose their residual magnetism when it sets. I have a regular cutout on it. I've heard that if you have a voltage regulator, it might be damaged by this proceedure. You could also have a bad cutout or regulator which would also cause the problem. Another problem is the brush plate in the generator. They are made out with a fiber insulator, and sometimes the fiber breaks down which will cause the brushes to be grounded and so the generator will not charge. It isn't good for a generator to be run without it being able to charge a battery, so you should attempt to find out what is the cause of the problem and fix it before you do much driving unless you intend to replace the generator.
After my t sits for a while it seems to build up an oily film on the commutater and won't charge. A quick shot of spray brake cleaner on the brushes/commutater while it is running cures it! I really can't believe there could be any oil vapor around a t engine(grin)!!!
Norm and Bill,
thanks for the info. I`m currently not on site where the car is.
Norm, how can I tell the regular cutout from the voltage regulator? Do they look the same from the outside? Am I supposed to open the cover for telling the difference?
Maybe I will have to open the generator anyway, but perhaps it is just a minor problem...
Thank you very much,
The best thing to do is find someone to work directly with via email. I suggest this because this car is new to you and you have no idea where things currently stand. The generator, ammeter, wiring and cutout are all unknown entities. A few simple basic tests will allow you and your adviser to get a true electrical baseline of the car and then start to trouble shoot the charging problem.
Following simple one line suggestions from respondents here will not work. You will be jumping all over the place and solve nothing because there is no logical step by step approach.
Ron the Coilman
I know what you mean, thanks for the advice. Too many suggestions at the same time would lead to too many different directions. I`ve just read about this "problem" in a different thread. I will have to see the car again first anyway. Other than knowing how to drive it, I have no experience with the T.