Markings on 26 Crank Post

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Markings on 26 Crank Post
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:37 pm:

Tonight I decided to remove my crank gear on a 26 engine I'm re-doing. It took some effort between my son and I to remove the original gear.

After we got done, my son insisted on draw filing the end of the post to remove the burr I raised with my 2 jaw puller. Lo and behold, up pops up two clearly stamped Es on the end of the crank post. These are not casual rebuilder markings but are clearly stamped and aligned on the end where they are visible after the pulley is installed.

Is this a common and known thing? Did Ford mark the new style EE cranks in this fashion to show what's installed in the block? I know in modern times new level parts are marked in some way to certify what revision level is installed. Is this an early example?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 02:34 pm:

What you have is commonly known as a EE crankshaft. These were forged from a newer alloy than earlier crankshafts and are generally considered to be the best choice if you can get your mitts on a good one. Seems to me the EE simply indicated the new alloy which was supposed to be tougher than the earlier types.

Somebody else can jump in and add or subtract from my comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 03:19 pm:

Tom,

A very good question and someday someone may lay an EE side to side with a 'vanadium steel' one and explain the differences between the two.

Ford hyped the vanadium steel cranks until the cows came home, and then lo and behold came out with an EE that was supposedly the cure all to end all as far as cranks go.

A look at the 1926 parts manual says the crank is part number 3030, but that does not say alot. On other parts they went through the A,B,C,D etc progression as things changed. Guess the record of changes with the factory number would help to say what 'version' the crank was.

I am curious as 'EE' also happens to be a Ford material designation [they fought long and hard over using AISI ratings..they had their own foundry!] I have looked up Ford 'EE' material specifications and it is nothing more than a 1040 steel, no alloy agents. If EE is actually the material designation, I have a hard time figuring how that could be so much better than the previous grade used!

So, the mystery continues.

I would be very curious to learn just what the 'EE' means too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 04:10 pm:

Gents,

To re-state my question.... We've all seen the EE cranks in our engines and we know they're the later style.

My question is how many of them were stamped EE on the end of the post so you could determine what design level of crank is in the engine? Was this only on the early introduced engines so you could say this engine has a crank with diamond cheeks and this engine has the new crank with rectangular cheeks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

If I remember correctly, the EE crank is beefier than the earlier ones and the difference is clearly visible when you put one next to the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:23 pm:

I just went out to shop and checked the four 26-27 cranks I have,three are TW and marked with an E on the side. None had any markings on the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:26 pm:

Guys,

All I am asking, has anyone else seen this double E marking on the pulley end of their circa 1926 crankshafts? The marks are well placed and appear not be stamped by hand.

Crank Post End

I tried to photograph it and I can't get a good shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:47 pm:

Thanks Jack, that's exactly what I wanted to know. You posted as I was still typing. Mine has EE forged on the crank and the stamping on the post as illustrated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:01 pm:

Tom

Have one of those late cranks in my '27, same mark on the pully end 'E E'.

Those are the late crankshafts.

the next to last crank, on the right beside the rusty 'SureMike' counterbalance crank is the late Ford EE crankshaft. The EE has somewhat bolder forging lines on the center of the throws.
(not my pic, came from a forum post)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:04 pm:

Having a daughter with an art degree can come in handy. Photos courtesy of Becky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:06 pm:

Thanks Dan.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration