Low or dead battery question & transportation question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Low or dead battery question & transportation question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 12:11 pm:

Would it harm the generator if the car was run with a 6 volt battery that has been sitting for over a year. If I can crank start the engine would the battery recharge?

I am having my 1925 roadster brought home on a flatbed by an auto mover company. Since the car isn't running I assume that he will have to use a winch to get it on the truck. Where is the best place to hook it up. Other precaution/advice?
I probably over worry about stuff.
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 12:53 pm:

You should ground the generator output until such time that you have a good battery on board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 01:09 pm:

Since this is a 1925 with a radiator apron, I would hook two tow straps high on the front spring rather than hooking to the front axle when winching. Depending on the state of the wishbone ball, pulling low on the axle could cause the ball to pop out while dragging the car up the ramp.

As you are in the north, I would not try to jump or recharge the battery as one or more cells might be frozen if the car is stored in an unheated place. As noted above, ground the generator and keep the car's frozen battery out of the circuit if attempting to start the car.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration