What year crank handle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: What year crank handle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:33 am:

I have been looking for a 1912 Crank Handle (August 1912)

Can anyone shed light as to the year of this handle?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:02 am:

I'm not positive when they first started using them, about 1915-1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 05:17 am:

If the handle is iron, it's 1914-1921. Late 1911 up through 1913 had an aluminum handle.
More detailed specifications in Bruces encyclopedia: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#crank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 05:25 am:

Your younger crank can be artificially aged.. http://www.modeltford.com/item/3901A.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:41 pm:

Thanks Roger...is it correct other than the piece you hold to crank? Ie the crank rod is still the same?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:41 pm:

THey seem to be a really hard part to find

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 06:50 pm:

Hi Alex. The sleeve seems to have been replaced, it looks like its held on with a coach bolt and nut. If so it could be an early one and you'd just have to replace the sleeve with the 1911-13 type available new. If the ratchet has a boss around the pin hole its correct for 1912. See crank ratchets

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

What irritates me, is no one has ever reproduced the correct rivet for the early crank handles. The ones I've seen are rather flat, and the correct original ones have a domed head like the hub bolts. I was real lucky a few years back. I found a NOS crank for my '13 that had been used for another purpose, so there was no wear. They had drilled 3 or 4 holes in it for whatever, and I just welded them up, and it's on the car now.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration