Carbureator NH Name Plate air vent 1926 Fordoor T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Carbureator NH Name Plate air vent 1926 Fordoor T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Vaughn on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:35 pm:

I have installed a new spray needle, spray needle valve, needle and seat, and have use air pressure to blow out the various ports in the carbureator. Still difficult to start the engine.

Question: Is there an air mixture hole beneath the brass name plate....and if there is, does it get accessed when I have the unit dissassemled? If not, do I have to remove the name plate to clean out the port?
Any help will be very appreciated.
Thanks, Bill Vaughn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:44 pm:

Yes, but there is hardly no way to remove the name plate without grinding off the heads of the two small round headed brass fasteners, but they, as well as new reproduction NH name plates are available through Snyder's if you mess them up. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Vaughn on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:48 pm:

Thanks Jim. I'm taking it from your reply that I do have to remove the name plate to clean the air mixture port. I'll be as careful as possible, but will probably have to get another name plate. Thanks Again.
Bill V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:28 pm:

Not necessarily. Only remove it if there is no other way. If you can clean it without removing it, do so. You can soak the carb in carburetor cleaner or solvent to loosen any deposits and blow out the various ports with high pressure air. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:42 pm:

This is a photograph from an early post that I kept to show the areas that need to be cleaned out after you remove the brass plugs in the carburetor. After cleaning the holes need to be replugged. These passages need to be clean for proper idle. I just peen lead shot a little larger than the hole to replace the brass. Works great.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:44 pm:

Bill, the hole under the name plate is a bowl vent and probably wouldn't hurt starting as much as running. Have you checked to make sure the idle passages are open? There are passages drilled through the body of the carb. There are two holes on the right side of the throttle plate. That passage goes through the body and comes out in the area of where the spray valve screws into the body. This passage must be clean. You should be able to see a brass plug in the mounting flange of the carb where the passage was drilled. That plug can be removed to aid in cleaning out the passage if needed. Email me off line if you want more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 06:21 pm:

Mike, good post. Looks like we were typing at the same time. I was at work and was going to take some pictures to add tonight. You saved me some time. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Vaughn on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 06:57 pm:

Jim, Mike, and Kenny,
After reading your input, I'm finding that I
"JUST THOUGHT" I had cleaned the carbureator. I have more work to do.
Thank you very much. I do appreciate.
Bill V.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration