26 Tudor Windsheild wiper - crank,vacuum or electric ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 26 Tudor Windsheild wiper - crank,vacuum or electric ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

Hi to all,
I am a little puzzled as to what operates my windsheild wiper arm in my 26 Tudor, hand or powered by either vacuum or 6 volt electric !!!
There is a lot of housing for what l'd assume would still be a hand crank wiper, I'm at work at present but l'll post a pic later, it does appear to be a standard wiper (motor)., can anyone assist, if its other than hand crank l'm sure my beloved would love to have it working while she drives in the rain , if just a big bulky hand crank , well she'll have to learn to crank and throttle with the same hand !!!
Cheers David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 05:02 pm:

Ok , l have found it in the Model T Ford book on page 402 , as a ford accessory epuipment called the Ford Automatic Windsheild Wiper, can anyone give ma any details on how this item works ?
Mine does not have a hose as shown in the pic , but does have a hole l'm guessing in where that hose will fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Metz on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 07:52 pm:

My '26 Tudor has a windshield wiper that I'm sure is electric....but how the heck do you turn the darn thing off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:28 pm:

He are the pics of mine, maybe Ted's is the same, if so can we have an operation detail .

Thanks in advance for any help with this part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:47 pm:

My guess is vacuum and the knob on the left is the on/off valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:03 pm:

David,

This looks like an after market vaccuum wiper, the hole on the side looks like where the vaccuum hose would go, the hose would then go over the window frame & pillar & that someone has gerryrigged to work by hand. I believe the optional wiper was a Trico. Ford also offered a hand wiper for 50 cents basically a bent piece of metal with the wiper on the outside & a crank on the inside. So your driving in the rain two hands on the wheel another on the throttle & one working the wiper.

As far as the electric wiper I'm sure someone offered them as after market.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:09 pm:

Well, right now it is manual....twist the pop rivet and the blade will follow...lol

Look at your intake manifold to see if it was modified for a vacuum connection. Usually, they just brazed a small tube just above the T connection in the intake. You see some of the intake manifolds now with a small sheet metal screw in the top of these standpipes to keep the vacuum because either the vacuum bellows on the wiper motor has failed, or the rubber tube rotted away.

One of those ports would be where the other end of the tube would go. Mine is not the same model but similar, mine ports to the passenger side. May have been just a press fit tube that the rubber hose clamped onto.

Might be worth a try to get a chunk of tube and give it a suck test, lol, not too much vacuum drawn on intake from a T manifold anyway.

Don't know if you can get replacement bellows and parts for them but here is a trick in case the bellows has simply gone rock hard...lather up the bellows with petroleum jelly and let it soak in for a couple of days. It will swell a bit, but then be soft and pliable. Might be that easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

The Ford accessory for the T was part #3318SX for the closed cars and #3320SX (pictured in adv) for the open cars. According to the Parts and Price list, there was replacement blade,connection hose, screw (blade adj) and tube (rubber)

The later Model A's had similar units that operated on engine vacuum.
http://www.brattons.com/prodtype.asp?cookiecheck=yes&PT_ID=41&strPageHistory=cat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:39 pm:

If you need a vacuum wiper motor rebuilt, see

http://www.wiperman.com

I think it's remarkable that my 1951 Dodge pickup has electric wipers but Packard still used vacuum through 1955. Even in good condition, vacuum motors suck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:19 am:

Steve - Remember when you had to lift your foot off of the accelerator pedal momentarily, just to get the wipers to make just one more quick swipe? (only the swipe was never quick). The situation was always the worst when ascending a long grade. You had the ol' gas pedal "floored", trying to maintain speed on the uphill grade, and that was when engine vaccum was the lowest, and the wipers the slowest (or stopped). In my book, electric wipers are one of the greatest automotive innovations ever!

As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, on that long uphill grade, in a hard rain, I'd much rather have had manual wipers instead of that darn vaccum wiper motor! Or at least, a little shaft with a pin thru' it so as to be able to provide that one badly needed "swipe" of the wipers by hand! With the old vaccum wipers, your only alternative on a hill was to take your foot off of the gas momentarily for that one badly needed "swipe", no matter how much you hated to do that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:27 am:

By the way Steve, your comment about your '51 Dodge pickup reminds me; of the U.S. auto manufacturers, at least of the "big three", Chrysler Corp. had some pretty good engineering, and they had several "firsts", one of which was ELECTRIC windshield wipers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:39 am:

Ya, those vacuum wipers! My 46 Dodge truck seamed to work the worse in the hardest rain! I remember one time poring rain and the sun hitting the windshield at the same time, swish stop,loooooooong pause swish(but only part way)looooooong pause... you get the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 07:18 am:

I grew up with vacuum wipers and remember them well. When I was a small boy I was always fascinated by the wipers speeding up between gears when my uncle drove the farm truck and the same on the school bus. Evidently, I'm easily entertained.

I also was amazed to discover, when my great aunt sold me her '54 Dodge Coronet, that it had 2-speed electric wipers. The car was not much on styling but it definitely had the upper hand on Ford or GM in that regard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 08:16 am:

I believe Chrysler started using electric wipers in the late 40's, Packard developed & patented the Vacuum wiper in the 20's & most other makes used them at least until the late 50's. I had a 56 Buick with them, the motor ran the wipers off a cables which had become stretched giving maybe 4 inches of swipe.

Some higher end cars had a vacuum tank (like power brakes) so the wipers wouldn't stop on acceleration.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:04 am:

Ok thanks for that info, it just so happens that a small brass non threaded screw is in a hole in the intake manifold, l wondered what that was for, so if l am reading correctly , insert a small pipe attach the tube back to the hole and (hopefully) voila , power wiper, l placed the rivet in there to operate the wiper not knowing how it was to be used, now l have some work to do , one question , how reliable is this type of power wiper ?
My 66 Thunderbird has vacuum wipers , talk about multi choice of speeds, l think l lost count after 8 speed settings.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:29 am:

Dave,

Yep, ya got it provided the bellows isn't rock hard or split.

As far as reliability? Read up...those other cars mentions actually are improved vacuum versions :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:34 am:

My '25 coupe had a vacum wiper and a small crank to wipe the light rain off with. Trying to find it in the box and restore it.
I have also seen in the Ford book that the sport '26 roadster could have a vacum or electric wiper that was offered by Ford. Also, what about those supposed vacum cans that were supposed to assist wiper function?

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:50 pm:

My '29 A has electric wipers (Actually, "WipER"). Wish it were vacuum, though. They were more common and therefore better parts availability. There's a guy who can fix my electric wiper, but it was in the neighborhood of $400, so I elected to restore it cosmetically, take the guts out of it and use the manual overide if I ever need it. I live on a dirt road and the car is fully restored, so it has only seen rain once, by accident. Not a trailer queen, mind you, but only a sunny day driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:51 pm:

Hmm,
Alex's comment on vacuume tanks reminded me of a Ford Anglia I had many decades ago. It had a vacuume tank, was almost as big as the motor!!
Worked though.
Hal,
Electric wipers can be fixed, major problem with many of them is the base was often pot metal--that's when repair gets expensive. I agree, $400 is way too much, you can usually fine a working one for much less.
T'
David D.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration