Model T Burn-out!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Model T Burn-out!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:49 pm:

How many of us have seen a nearly stock Model T smoke the tires?

Smokin' T

Just for fun....
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:56 pm:

I've seen lots of them smoke, just not from the tires. When I ran mine on the 1/4 mile track last year, I started at an idle. I was afraid of burning out the low band if I revved it and slammed down the peddle.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 04:48 pm:

There was a man on the last Arizona shootout who had a stock looking 26 or 27 pickup. The body was all rusty, but he could burn rubber. He would have beaten Humble Howard except that he slowed down and let Howard pass him.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

Norman, that was maybe Kurt (Kirk?) Wright and his "skinnin truck"? That's a guy with some serious engine building talent...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 05:29 pm:

I can spin 'em in a heartbeat on my dirt road. 'Course it's a 7.25:1 TT.;-) Might do it on pavement too, but if I tore up something, I'd sure wish I hadn't done it. I try to take it easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:47 pm:

Are you sure he isn't locking up the tires braking?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:54 am:

Dena & Dennis,
Nope, it's not skidding. Here's another run:
Burn-out II
No strain on the low band or driveline, and the engine is almost stock (Ricardo head & dual carbs) and it ain't on dirt, and it's not steam or exhaust (the exhaust pipe is on the far side).
Figure it out yet?

Just for fun,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:06 am:

Norman & Tim,
I was also there and his name is Dave Parker. It was the last Arizona shoot out tour. Before racing Humble Howard he waxed Kurt Wright so bad it did not even look like a race. There is a side picture of Parker's rusty T pick up in Vintage Ford vol. 43, no. 5 sept /oct 2008, page 27. Dave call's his car the "Tiajuana Offy". It may not look like much....however, it's all engine! It's a real sleeper.
I have been over to Kirt Wright's place and he has some neat toy's.....most of what he has is meant to "GO"....not stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dave willis on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:30 am:

i think he got a hold of some top fuel "burnout juice"....the very lack of smoke as compared to a typical funny car says volumes to the feeble power of a t [even a hot one] and the sheer lack of rubber actually in contact with the asphalt...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:50 am:

Easier to do if your left e-brake is disconnected and your right one is set just a little... Of course a little lubricant on one tire would cause the same results.

I've tried burnouts and slides in my speedster. A slide is pretty impressive, but any attempt at a burnout just makes the rear end hop. There isn't enough weight to smoke the tire on mine...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:40 pm:

A 4-wheel drift is fun and easy to do on those narrow tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 04:53 pm:

This is fun.
No one has figured it out yet!
No exotic "juice" Dave.
No adam, there was no tinkering with the brakes or lubricant on the strip or on the tires and no wheel hop.
Ricks, if I ever get a chance to tear around on some muddy ground, I sure want to try a drift like you do (we used to call that a "power slide.") Are those Dayton wheels?
Seth knows how I did the burn-outs, but I don't think he's telling!
Keep guessin' guys.
Just for fun,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

Photoshop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 05:05 pm:

Mum's the word....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 05:51 pm:

Shucks, I do 4-wheel drifts on city street corners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 07:02 pm:

Tim,
That would have been my guess, but noooooo, sorry.

OK Seth, let's keep 'em guessin'

Just for fun,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 09:59 pm:

Bob - Okey, I've heard about this,......"it's all done with smoke and mirrors"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiam on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:58 pm:

Looking at the way the smoke is coming off the tire in the first picture.... my guess is your on the reverse peddle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kiam on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:06 pm:

Oops... meant pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:34 pm:

Harold!
You are half right!
It is smoke...but alas, no mirrors. Terrific guess!

Kiam,
"Peddle" or "pedal," no, the Speedster was getting underway forward and all wheels and tires were turning counterclockwise on the driver's side, and clockwise on the passenger's side!

Keep on guessin'!

Just for fun,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:40 pm:

Needs Rings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:42 pm:

Castor oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:41 pm:

Not even close, Paul, it's not engine smoke, honest.
This last picture - the 4th run - should give you the answer if you are very observant and look closely.
T burn-out
This is being done as an event demonstration of a T burning-out like it had some real horsepower, which it doesn't.
It's all in fun, and gets a lot of cheers and laughs.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:02 pm:

You have another peice of rubber or other soft something rubbing against the tire makeing smoke as it gits hot.Or you have 1 of them smoke machines from the halloween party hooked up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:04 pm:

Chalk like used to mark a ball field being run over by the tire.??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Larson on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:20 pm:

Dry ice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:35 pm:

smoke is coming off the top of the tire - is exhaust pipe routed into fender well area, and a little model R/R train smoke oil dripped onto the hot exhaust pipe - ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 08:45 pm:

So the tire is just touching the ground, with no weight on it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dbw on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 09:10 pm:

comon guys..the "smoke" is coming from the wheelwell..not from where the the rubber meets the road....i'll vote for halloween stage smoke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 09:17 pm:

Mack Jeffrey Cole...YOU pretty much have it!
It's not hot rubber rubbing on anything, but it is a white, chalk-like powder, under pressure, being shot through the fender brace hole as the car gets going. You can see some of it on the ground at the far lower right corner of the last picture.
Lots of good guesses!
Looks like a real burn-out huh!
Just for fun,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 09:22 pm:

Fox and hounds with a trail of flour. Fire extinguisher!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:46 pm:

Bone stock '22 Centerdoor!
burnout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:06 am:

Eric,
How wide are those tires? The marks look at least 6 inches wide. The Centerdoor looks to have standard tires.
Noel

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration