Putting down the Top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Putting down the Top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 05:26 pm:

I got my roadster home. Where's the button to put the top down?(Kidding) Actually I could only fold it partially down to get it under the garage door. I know about the thumbscrews at the windshield. I was able to lift one bow out of its mounting on the slanted part. There appears to be a pivot point but I couldn't move it.sideotherside
Thanks in advance-Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 06:03 pm:

Mr. Tobias, mine is a 1925 Roadster, top should be the same. Unsnap all the snaps. Loosen the two wing nuts at opposite ends of the winshield and lift the front cross piece off the two studs, there should be a couple of snaps to undo. Take off the two round nuts, you can see one in your second picture. The bar/rods at the top of the window hole that goes front to back sits down in a slot at the V at the back, while you are lifting all this off, pop those two out of the slots. Be careful and fold the top material in a manner to fit as the top folds, don't pinch it anywhere. I strongly suggest getting your wife or someone to help, at least for the first time, it is not that hard as opposed to a touring car. Take your time and be neat, you can scratch paint and tear or pinch holes if not careful. If you get confused just lift it back up to the windshield and breathe a while, it will all appear obvious once you have done it. I have a boot for mine, I would suggest getting one, especuially if you are going to haul it on a trailer with the top down. I would suggest leaving the top up for any extended storage, keeps the mice out and the fabric doesn't crease or crack. Good looking car by the way.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration