Off Topic - New Phone Scam

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Off Topic - New Phone Scam
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 08:23 pm:

Apparently there's a new phone scam out there. I had a phone solicitor call me at 6:30 and he told me he could lower my credit card rates. I asked repeatedly what company he represented and I was told "several". Yes, I am on the Do Not Call List.

The caller I.D. was "Unavailable" 5-062-276-9944. Note the extra digit which makes it harder to file a FCC report. Apparently these weasels have found a way to mask their real number in order to make these calls. According to the internet, they're calling out of India and using a New Jersey exchange to conduct their business. They're trying to get credit card numbers and other information apparently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 09:59 pm:

The digits in the caller ID look like a call that originated overseas. When my wife gets calls from family in Holland, the caller ID numbers have that appearance, i.e. not coming from a US area code.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:26 pm:

Do not call list entry aint worth a hoot if you go and start filling out forms for discount grocery cards and such.Everytime you do that you are giveing them permission to call.
I have been ask why I dont have a Food lion card or whatever.It is for that reason.If they can sell somebody a roll of toilet paper for 14 cent cheaper because they have a card,they are getting that 14 cent from somewhere else.You aint just getting a free discount.
To be honest,I dont think I have noticed much difference in the calls on my dads phone and it,like mine,has been on the do not call list since sometime in june of 07.
At 1 time there was a political do not call list trying to get started.I dont know how far it got along.Apparently my dad werent on it.His answering machine has a recorded call from John Mcain,asking for his vote.And my dad dont want it erased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:25 am:

What I hate (and I'm on the "do not call list" to, for whatever it's worth) is the caller ID says, "Unknown Name, Unknown Number." I do have a few friends who's numbers show up as "Private Name, Private Number" so sometime I forget and answer these calls--like today. When I say "Hello" and get silence, I hang up--today I could hear, "Could I speak to Mr. --" as I was hanging up--my immediate thought was, "NO, you can't!" Probably missed out on the Publisher's Clearing house winning number!
NOT!
There should be a law that these "guys" have to ID themselves.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:29 am:

Caller I.D. is the best thing since the Model T. If I don't recognize a number, I don't answer. If it's someone with a blocked number, they can leave a message. If they don't, it must not have been important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:38 am:

Chuck, I have long said that if someone rings my doorbell and I look out and see someone with a bag over his head, I don't open the door. I feel the same about someone who calls my phone and conceals his identity.

I also have an answering machine. If they want to talk to me, they can say why,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 07:34 am:

Caller ID is excellent - best investment I've ever made. Some 3/4 of the calls I receive are from "Private Call", "Out-of-Area", "Tollfree Number", or "-------------" and most of them invariably call at dinner time. Just like Chuck, I don't answer them because they are almost always some kind of solicitation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 08:20 am:

Another thing.Haveing a unlisted number is no good when they use a machine to generate numbers to call.Once they get a ring,they know it is a good number and it stays in their system.
A freind of mine put his phone number on the do not call list.
A few weeks later his wife fills out a form to win some money.Their phone rings constantly again.It will be some fellow hollaring,"This is your caption speaking" then he will rattle about a what they call a cruise thing of some sort.I think it is something like Love Boat or something.You know rich folkes floating around in a boat.They are trying sell people tickets or something to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:19 am:

Tom, That number is most likely coming from Malaysia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 02:00 pm:

Guys: A little more info about this type of call. Where my wife works a few years ago the girl that is their controller got a call from a long distance phone company. This was not a well known company just one of the fly by night ones that sprang up back then. Any way, they ask is this MS. Smith? She answered "YES". They wanted her to change to their long distance service. She of course said "NO". Well, next month the company had a new long distance carrier and a high bill. MS Smith called and raised cane. The answer was "We have you on tape saying yes to the change." And they did. The carrier had changed the tape of the phone call to where she was saying yes to changing the carrier. Company lawyer said pay the bill and change back, not worth fighting.
The moral, I always answer any calls asking is this me with "SPEAKING", not "yes". Just a word to the wise. Dan

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration