mufflers 20-27 - quietness and quality

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: mufflers 20-27 - quietness and quality
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Parker on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 06:02 am:

There appears to be at least 4 different mufflers available for the 20-27 T. 1) basic steel muffler as sold by many of the suppliers 2) stainless steel with tail pipe 3) "tractor" muffler as sold by TSC and 4) turbo muffler? -not sure about details. Can anyone comment on each of these mufflers particularly in regards to " noise/quietness" and "quality" of construction. Also how about a part number for the turbo muffler?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 06:40 am:

Wayne,

I used a turbo muffler on my stock-engined speedster and it was very quiet - a model T friend even commented on how quiet it was.

The "turbo" muffler was developed for the Chevrolet Corvair Spyder, a turbocharged car. Low backpressure and small size were the design requirements.

Today the "turbo" muffler is still popular and comes in a variety of inlet and outlet sizes, the smallest of which I believe is 1.75". The inlet is in the center of one end and the outlet is offset from center in the other end.

Attached are pictures of how it fit, at an angle because even though a turbo muffler is small, the space between the driveshaft and right frame rail on a T is VERY small.

Any good muffler man should be able to fit a turbo, no trouble.

Inlet:

Outlet:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 08:29 am:

Well I have bought 2 of the cheap "tin can" contraptions from the suppliers.I am a tite wad and I thought 20 bucks for a muffler that fit without modification was a great deal.Danged if I will blow my 20 bucks again.I will run a straight pipe and to heck with it before I waste 20 bucks again on that cheap thing.They literaly come apart and you can tighten that center bolts till Porky flys over ye shop and it will still leak and rattle.

And another thing.I had a 1950 Vac Case tractor for a while.I couldnt get on and off it and I sold it after falling off once.To high off the ground with no steps.Anyhow,I had mufflers for it.in 6 years I put 2 mufflers from Tractor supply on it.Rusted out to screen wire status in a short time.

I will use 2 peices of pipe,1 in the other with holes drilled in it and make my own muffler next time.My dad did this on his 49 chevy truck back in the 50's and the muffler is still as good as the day he made it.Used 3/16 plate on the ends and the pipe is about a 1/8th or 3/16th thick as well.
Anything you use on a T heavyer than stock,you need to use more supports than came on the car because the weak mounting up at the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 09:12 am:

Wayne, personally I run the repops from the suppliers without any problems. With the execption of the time I was a little slow switching to mag from battery while driving. It blew the muffler apart pretty violently. I straightened everything out and put it back together and it's still running today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 09:26 am:

Wayne,

Regarding durability of the turbo muffler, I can report that I never had any problem in the three years that I owned my car.

I always drove the car long enough to heat up and dry out the exhaust system and always started and ran the car with the ignition switch in the "mag" position so I never experienced an explosion in the exhaust.

If quiet is what you are looking for, I think you'll like the turbo muffler - with a tailpipe so that exhaust doesn't soil the underside of your car.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 09:30 am:

I have the stainless steel with a short tailpipe muffler on the '26 Runabout. Fits on the stainless steel exhaust pipe, which has the correct bends, and sounds a bit louder than stock...... but advance that spark & it quiets down.

Look good, still shiney & keeps the soot off the pumpkin.

Bought both from the vendor on the MTFCA website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 09:42 am:

I used the stainless muffler for one season and then took it off because it was too loud,it is a straight through design with a short tailpipe,it is for sale if anyone is interested,the loud noise in my right ear was the main reason to change.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:45 pm:

No one is making the correct muffler for a '21-'27 Ford period. The ones I've seen that look sort of the same are a poor attempt. The best thing is to find an original at a swap meet. The muffler ends are easy to find, the shells are the same, except the late one doesn't use the inner shell. The hard part is finding a good long exhaust pipe. With Phil Minos help, we were able to duplicate one several years ago, but I never finished up with it. What we need is a good muffler man in the club that knows what he is doing. A question I've always wondered about is when did they slip the brass nut onto the pipe? Did they put it on before the flange? I have an original NOS pipe, and I can't get a brass nut over it from either end, and it has the Ford script on the pipe in three places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 01:14 pm:

Larry, sometimes the main reason a part has stayed NOS for 80 years is: it wasn't made right from the beginning.. check the diam of the pipe (of course you already checked if it's out of round in the muffler end)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 01:36 pm:

I've gotten a few of the "original" repro mufflers, which blew within days. Last one I took to a muffler shop that does alot of antique systems. they spot welded it at the seam for $5. since then no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 01:44 pm:

The repro mufflers are not very good. After blowing several of them apart while switching from Battery to Mag I also welded the seam and have not had any more trouble. I have a couple of the FO-11 mufflers from Tractor Supply but have not put them on anything yet.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 02:05 pm:

I also have the FO-11 muffler on the shelf and wonder how loud it is going to be as it is a straight thru design, though it has many baffles extending into the flow....Michael Pawelek
oiewf[woiethv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 02:20 pm:

I know that Mike Walker has one of the FO-11 mufflers on his 15 Touring and I did not think it sounded much louder than the repro muffler. It certainly is not going to create much back pressure on the exhaust system.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 03:41 pm:

Wayne & All: The stainless steel muffler may be a bit louder than stock. Take a tip from the motorcycle riders..... the more noise the better... maybe the car driver will hear you before the accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 08:31 pm:

I just installed the FO-11 muffler, as pictured above, a few minutes ago and it does not appear to sound any louder than the cast iron end type I had on the T previously. Now I just need to get a cheap piece of 90 degree pipe to shoot the exhaust down instead of towards the rear. I assume a spare piece of bent pipe from a muffler shop would be the cheapest. The stainless steel and chrome muffler tips I've viewed on the Internet are as high as $155 !!! OUCH!!! :-) $1.55 would be more to my liking...Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 08:35 pm:

Michael,

Check with an Auto-Zone or Advance Auto Parts. They have pipes like you are looking for and you won't have to wait until Monday.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 09:33 pm:

Seth, Good idea! I go to an Auto-Zone once in a while for tune up parts/oil but it's over 20 miles away so once my "repair" list for hardware, lumber etc. gets big enough to justify the trip in that direction I'll check out their stock. In the mean time I have some thinwall "under the sink" metal drain pipe that is the correct diameter for a temporary fix. Most sink drain pipe these days is PVC but I have a barn full of junk left over from my Grand Dad and Father and I know I've seen a 90 degree elbo in the pile! As it is now the exhaust shoots out between the rear spring and differential tube but I installed a "late" spare tire carrier on the '19 Touring some years back as I use the 21" split rim demountables and the lower edge of the spare tire is right in the firing line of the exhaust! Good thing I use black tires!!! :-) Thanks....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 09:55 pm:

Gosh Michael, I sure hope they have what you are looking for when you make that trip - or at the very least that a muffler shop is close by if they don't.

Enjoy that "baby Smitty"!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:22 pm:

A lot of modern mufflers have weep holes on the outlet side on the end-cap of the muffler to let the water out. This is true on my chevy truck, (factory muffler) Several years ago I had an exhaust shop put dual exhaust on my 93 ford Pick-up, my daily driver. I went through 2 sets of mufflers in 4 years. The third time I took it to a different shop and when he got everything bolted up, he took a center-punch and knocked a little weep hole in the end cap on both mufflers. He said replacement mufflers aren't drilled because they don't know which side will be the bottom after installed. He said that was the reason the other mufflers didn't last very long. So far, so good. time will tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:54 pm:

The FO-11's are hardly louder than a stock T muffler, but without all that back pressure. After installing them I take the car to a muffler shop have them bend an S-shaped tailpipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:40 am:

Seth - have you got any kind of a part number or anything to go on so I can get or order a turbo muffler??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:40 am:

John,

The smallest inlet and outlet I can find is 2" so on the inlet side, you'll need a reducer to fit the 1.5" diameter Ford pipe. On the outlet you have all kinds of options - I used 1.75" pipe for a tailpipe on my speedster and my muffler man expanded it as you can see in the picture above.

The Flowtech Raptor Turbo muffler part # 50050FLT at Auto-Zone is $21.99. It is flow reversible but I used the center as the inlet and the offset as the exhaust. The case is 13" long by 10" wide by 4.5" tall and it is constructed of aluminized steel.

With a tailpipe it will be quiet and the low restriction to the flow will be great for performance, especially if your engine is stock with low compression.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:21 pm:

thanks Seth, Im going to try this on my 24 coupe - I hate that stock piece of junk - I wonder what the guys at the henry ford Greenfield village are using - My dad was there in the fall and commented that those fords were very very quiet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leming on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:30 pm:

thanks Seth, Im going to try this on my 24 coupe - I hate that stock piece of junk - I wonder what the guys at the henry ford Greenfield village are using - My dad was there in the fall and commented that those fords were very very quiet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:35 pm:

I was very pleased with the sound on my car though it was mighty quiet for a "sports car".... :-))

That quiet will be quite fitting on that fine coopay (catch that Marshall?) of yours, I think.

Let us know how it turns out!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 01:23 pm:

The Ts in Greenfield Village that I have been under all have stock mufflers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:58 pm:

I'm running a 2.250" straight pipe 6' long from front to back, off of home-made headers on my Speedster.
While it's not really very noisy, I might be interested in a slip-in motorcycle muffler I've heard about.
Evidently, it goes inside the pipe, is unseen, and quiets the noise somewhat.
Anybody know about them?
Thanks,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:23 am:

Wayne,
I recommend using the repro model T muffler. Weld or braze the ends to the muffler to keep it from blowing apart during a backfire. Also the Vern Campbell stainless steel exhaust pipe is the only thing on the market that fits correctly, buy no substitutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:46 am:

One of the many advantages of living in a small town. One of our local garages had a pile of what they called "resonators" that they had used back when they did dual exhausts, they quit using them when catalytic convertors came in. We used one on my car with great results, and really not much louder. It is almost an exact fit, not as large a diameter. Part (including a tail pipe past the rear bumper) and all cost me a lunch and about $20. Most notable improvement was on my "test hill", I was able to climb it in high where before I had to go to low right at the crest, back pressure does exist in the regular T mufflers. This stuff was all I think "aluminized" or something, so I have had no rust etc. in several years. Ask around, you may find something like that close to home, my .02.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration