Hill Driving...... Oil Level

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Hill Driving...... Oil Level
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 07:45 am:

Hello,

I was advised by an older model t guy, to fill my oil a little higher than normal if i was doing lots of hill driving... His advice was to fill it till it flowed out of the top petcock???

Have an internal and outside oil line? Would this do any harm? would rather be safe than sorry...

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 08:55 am:

I run 2 internal and 1 outside line with 5 qts. of oil in my engines. I don't recall ever seeing a rod or main bearing burn up from too much oil. I'll lose a couple HP's for that sacrifice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 03:29 pm:

I fill mine until it flows out of the upper petcock and I keep it there at all times. I live in the valley, which is pretty flat. I also keep my "modern" cars topped up to the full mark on their dipsticks. Like Kenny says, I've yet to see a bearing fail from too much oil.
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 03:58 pm:

I agree with Jeffery. I keep mine filled to where it flows from the top petcock and have done this for years. I seldom have to take bearings up in any of my T's.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 05:20 pm:

Definitely good advice to fill to the top petcock when beginning any tour, hilly or not.

Top petcock oil flowing out = full.

Bottom petcock no oil flowing out = do not operate the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston, Broken Arrow, OK on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 03:05 pm:

Splash Oiling the Model T Ford Engine

Adequate oiling and backup may be provided by a four-tube “period correct” system making the addition of large diameter exterior oil lines unnecessary. In case of failure of any 3 of the 4 lines (unlikely), the remaining line would provide adequate oil to save your engine. We have traveled to the top of Mount Evans in our 13 Runabout with this system (over 14,000 feet). By the way, the stock gravity feed fuel system also provided adequate fuel.

THE FOUR TUBE “PERIOD CORRECT” OILING SYSTEM can be described as the factory internal oil line, plus the common after market magneto plug outside oil line, plus the two accessory inside oil lines attached to either side of the oil pan dipper plate. These were all available during the Model T era.

These lines are being reproduced today in 5/16 size, the three internal lines with large funnels. It is doubtful you would ever encounter a grade steep enough to stop the flow.

If I’ve done my math correctly, the two inside oil lines installed on either side of the oil pan dipper plate would flow up to a 17% grade, while the factory inside line would flow to 20% and the outside line would flow to 44%.

I added an extra quart of oil going up Mount Evans. It didn’t seem to hurt anything.

Fred Houston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:09 am:

Charles,

As others have stated, I also keep the oil filled to the top petcock such that it comes out as a thin stream. I never check the lower one.

Remember to check on level ground and to only trust the level when it comes out as a continuous series of drips or a stream. Even an engine that has been drained of oil will show two or three drips at the petcocks as the petcocks themselves will retain that much oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:38 am:

Did you ever think that gas station owners probably wonder, after a couple dozen T's on tour stop for gas, why there are little puddles of oil at all their pumps? :-)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration