TT rear end RATIO revisited

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: TT rear end RATIO revisited
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:37 pm:

Ok... This is what I did..

I put the rear tires back on.

Then I marked one tire (right) with chalk. I then lowered the rear end so the left tire was on the ground.

Then I turned the drive shaft and watched the tire mark on the right tire, this is what happened:

Approximately (close) was a tiny less than 5.25 turns of the drive shaft ( complete revolutions) equaled 2.25 revolution of the right tire.

The ruckstell was out.

Shouldn't a regular T make 3.61 revolutions of the engine for one revolution of the tire? (I think that is the ratio?) (this TT is making a little over 2 engine revolutions to one tire revolution... This sucker will FLY!!!!!!!! ;./

Wouldn't a 5:1 rear end in a TT make 5 revolutions of the engine to one of the tire (approx)?

MAN, my TT should hit 60 or my calculations are off somehow... (meant to be funny..).. So either someone put rocket gears in this truck or I've done something wrong..

help..

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

Sounds like you have the rocket gears, rocket man!

Stock TT gears are 7.25:1, high speed 5.17:1. Lucky you - life in the fastER lane!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:50 pm:

Oh Lordy,he has got them rocket gears Marge,we cant out run him hauling them chickens.We may as well take the long way home.

In all honestly I got so dang confused trying to fiqure out gear ratio I said to heck with it.What ever it happens to be,that is what I would use.
I have several and would love to find 1 of them as being the 5-1 and put good bearings and such in it to replace the 1 under my dumptruck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 02:37 am:

Micheal,
Breath, you probably don't have "rocket gears." I can't do the math, but by locking one wheel, you have changed the rpm's of the unlocked wheel--the differental gears are now active. I *think* you get 2x the rpm's.
I'll leave the real numbers to more experienced, and less dyslexic member!
T'
David D.
PS, less anyone think I'm making light of dyslexia, I'm not--I am! (and yes, it runs in the family)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hester, Riverview, FL, 26 touring on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:04 am:

Michael, with one wheel on the ground and the Ruckstell in High turn the drive shaft until the wheel that's jacked up makes two turns. The number of turns of the drive shaft is the ratio. The TT should be 7 1/4:1 or 5 1/6:1. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:42 pm:

Thanks, Bob..

It is the 5 1/6:1 rear end. Yay.. I knew there was something special in there!

Michael

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration