Can anyone date this booklet ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Can anyone date this booklet ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 01:22 pm:

I found a 54 page booklet with no cover but the pages are titled THE FORD MANUAL. At the top of page one there is a heading titled {The Car and its Operation}.

It contains 100 questions and answers about the Model T Ford. There are two color diagrams all through the booklet in red-orange and black. None of the engine and electric related diagrams show a starter or generator but there is a lot of detail about the magneto lighting and horn.

It is apparantly a book handed out at dealerships to potential customers. One interesting thing about the book is that it goes into great detail about the fact that if the magnets get de-magnatized you should obtain a new set of magnets from your dealer. It goes on to say that the new magnets will arrive fastened to a board for assembly in the proper order. Today, the dealer will not even advise you to jumpstart a car but way back when they assumed that the owner could pull the engine and change magnets. Have we been dumed down over the years or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 03:56 pm:

If there is a date it would be on the first page. What year car is shown in the picturs? This should help date the manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:15 pm:

These booklets came with every new Ford. They varied over the years but generally had the same question and answer format. This one sounds like a 1915 to 1918 version but the picture of the car (from the driver's seat) will date it. They were alike in 1915-16, and 1917-1918

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:21 pm:

I have a "Ford Model T Instruction Book" which measures 3 3/8" by 6".

Inside it says:

Sixth Edition
September, 1913
(Reprinted March, 1954)

It has at least one typo:
"The pedal in the center, "R," operates the reserve."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:57 pm:

I never dated a booklet but I dated a starlet once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:14 pm:

Frank is a little funny that way...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:16 am:

I think the one for '25s have a 1922 date on the next to the last page. They came out with a new one in 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAREL J. LEIPOLD on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:29 pm:

booklets The larger one is the early 1909 one for the two lever Ford. 32 pages and an inner cover. The tan one is 1914 and 96 pages. The lower left is dated 1922 on the front page and is 93 pages. It is also dated on the back page 12-1-24. The lower right one is copyrighted 1927 and has 35 pages. All are originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:45 pm:

Are you sure about the date of the Tan one! I have an 1917 to around 1919 pre starter it has 56 pages in it. The 1920 one I have has more pages. There is the added info on the starting system, it also has a tan cover. I am at work now and do not have the 1920 in front of me to check page count.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:24 pm:

The cover on the tan one was used from at least 1914 through 1919 or 20 or so. They just updated some of the inner pages but used the same cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAREL J. LEIPOLD on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 01:44 pm:

The 1913 book has 46 pages and is smaller than the later ones. Inside it is labeled "sixth edition September 1913." Several weeks ago there was a thread about the Model B Ford. Illustrated is a parts book for that model. It is a "Third Edition 1912".

books

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration