Topics I've noticed that often send T people into a frenzy....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Topics I've noticed that often send T people into a frenzy....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilson on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 03:57 pm:

Topics guaranteed to start debate and or fist fights at the local Model T Ford pub...

1.coil vs distributor
2.outside oil line vs no outside oil line
3.original brake vs outside brakes
4.restored vs unrestored
5.correct vs uncorrect
6.top hat vs bowler hats
7.engine painted vs engine unpainted
8.wood spokes vs wire wheels
9.water pump vs no water pump
10.beer vs wine
11.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:11 pm:

11, T vs. coffee.

"The modifications on MY car make it safer, more reliable and improve itís appearance. The modifications on YOUR car are unnecessary, troublesome, gaudy and ruin the whole character of the Model T!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:30 pm:

11. Tire flaps vs no flaps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:48 pm:

Battery voltage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike catlin on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:49 pm:

12 kevlar vs cotton
13 6 volt vs 12 volt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:50 pm:

12a - kevlar vs. Wood band liners

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:54 pm:

14. Detergent oil vs non detergent oil vs multi weight oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lum on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:57 pm:

MMO or no MMO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:58 pm:

15. Value of someone's car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Abner on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:02 pm:

Woops 15. MMO or no MMO

15. Tim's MMO thingamajig or no thingamajig. :o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron griffey on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:03 pm:

I don't think outside brakes will get too many's dander up. Same for outside oil line.
Ever notice how folks just keep quiet when they see a black era T in very correct condition except it is painted white or red or yellow or some other color?
11. non-detergent oil
11a. oil with ZDDP or without
11b. weight of oil
12. 600 gear oil or roofing tar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:08 pm:

12. 600 wieght steam oil for TT rearaxles.Roofing tar,Who puts roofing tar in there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:22 pm:

16 Original vs rodded (as opposed to modified)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:54 pm:

Tail lights and turn signals vs keeping it original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:03 pm:

Real or fake.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:03 pm:

17.Repair and drive as is vs.Restore to mint and moth ball it or haul it around and lay out carpet for it to park on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Wotherspoon on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:41 pm:

18. Lets not forget eBay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:42 pm:

19.Fix something that aint perfect vs scrap it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:46 pm:

20. RHD vs. LHD

Be_Zero_Be :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 06:50 pm:

Model T vs Model A

If I were single, it wouldn't be a problem:-)

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 08:12 pm:

Sheet metal or fibberglass.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DMC on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:46 pm:

"Running Fit"

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

21. Seatbelts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:59 pm:

22. Tru Fire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:04 pm:

"Period correct" rules for club events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson (Aust) on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 11:10 pm:

What about whether Henry DID or DIDNT say the
"any colour so long as its black" thing.
A topic that interests me.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:19 am:

Updraft or sidedraft vs downdraft carburetors at speedster events. Electric cooling fans, hydraulic brakes, subjective selections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:35 am:

Updraft or sidedraft vs downdraft carburetors at speedster events. Electric cooling fans, hydraulic brakes, subjective selections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto Baron on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:42 am:

How can there be a debate regarding top hat vs bowler hats? Have you ever gone to a bowling alley, and tried to bowl wearing a top hat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Iversen on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:52 am:

Why can't I find a real life? Because you Zannies are more than enough food for my simpleton thought processes. Carry on. I'm all ears...a veritable sponge for nonsense. Any divine entity, save me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:57 am:

And have you ever tried to wear a Top Hat with the top down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dbw on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 01:03 am:

ever notice that even with all the purists around no one mentions the addition of, say, a screaming-dayglo yellow intake manifold?..... ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:59 am:

if yor not careful Billy Joel will be making another who started the fire song here !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 08:27 am:

Or have you ever tried to wear a Top Hat with the top up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By modT on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:08 am:

generator vs. alternator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:39 am:

1. Hickory VS Oak spokes.
2. Restoring dry rotted wood spokes with any type of liquid wood restorative epoxy.
3. shimming loose and shrunken spokes.
3. Painting VS stripping and clear varnishing spokes.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 10:44 am:

Isn't it great! Imagine what would happen if we had judging contests in our meets! How would we classify Stock, Modified, Custom etc. What about "People's Choice"

Wouldn't we get bored if everyone was alike?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:06 am:

Norm,
What about "The most creative use of bailing sire & duct tape"

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:07 am:

Meant wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:20 am:

Open or enclosed.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By E#dward R. Levy on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:42 am:

Rob(Patterson)
I don't know if Henry ever really said {"you can have any color so long as its Black) however it is clear that after a certain point(I have forgotten which year)all Fords were painted Black. My GUESS is that this was a cost saving device rather than a love of that particular color.
Any real T historians please chime in & shed some light on this question.
It is also clear that Henry Ford, especially as he aged was almost averse to change. Consider his refusal to go to Hydraulic brakes well into the late 1930's(was it 1939)
Edward R. Levy
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:44 am:

Best place on earth to live.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:49 am:

Edward,
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've always heard that the reasons for black only during the "black era" (NOT 1909-27 but sometihing like 1917-23) was twofold: 1: ease of production and 2: the black dries faster.

Anyone else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:51 am:

P.S. Edward,

Of course both of those reasons equal more cost effective (cheaper) production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:59 am:

Black paint weighs about 20% less than other colors. It has less lead, is why, I believe.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:05 pm:

I believe that, in the early days of automobile manufacturing and paint manufacturing, it was much easier to maintain consistency of color with black than with other colors. Also, by offering only one color, Ford need not worry about filling orders for various colors so only one conveyor line needed to be utilized for and dedicated to painting. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:10 pm:

The black paint that Henry used dried more quickly than anything else he could find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 02:15 pm:

Everyone you meet,their Grandfather had one exactly like your's and it was a 1923! No matter if you are in a 09 12 14 16 27 Grandpaws 23 was the exact match as yours because they were like peas in a pod or all the same.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 02:19 pm:

Bud, the line I get is, "My dad had one exactly like that, except it was maroon and it was a Plymouth."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:36 pm:

Jack Chidgy has a radiator emblem that says CHIDGY. He has had a number of people come up to him and say, "My grandfather had a Chidgy just like yours"
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:41 pm:

How about Practical Experience VS. Theory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:00 pm:

Purist vs. everyone else :-)
Seth vs. R. Patterson and vis versa :-)
Speedsters'ers vs the rest of the world
Two wheel trailers vs four wheel trailers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:08 pm:

Thanks much, Ty. That should really make for a lively few days here - at my expense, I'm sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:59 pm:

Dick,Are you the orgional owner?? Nope,Thats what people ask me.Even more embarrasing is bud,does the gennerator make the gas for the lights or do you?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:08 pm:

Tyrone,you really hit a button there!
the 2 vs 4 wheel trailer deal will really wrile them up.And funny thing is,you see both and the owners of both types are happy as pigs in slop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

Kenneth,

I explain the lights run on acetylene and the best I can do is methane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:56 pm:

Nobody has mentioned the classic phrase, "Henry Ford originally designed the Model T Ford to run on alcohol."

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:23 pm:

Mack, that reminds me of Roy Fulton's phrase, "He had a smile on his face like a ripple on a slop bucket."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 08:05 pm:

Bud, years ago when I was living in Holland, I had a friend in the Austin club who had a 1932 Austin Heavy Twelve. It was larger than most Austins and had a very boxy shape.

One day on a tour, we were parked and a man came up and asked my friend, "Is that a Model A Ford?" Jody said, "No, it's a 1932 Austin Heavy Twelve." The man looked at it for a few seconds and asked, "But was it a Model A Ford before?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:06 pm:

Sorry Seth nothing personnal. Just could not pass it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:29 pm:

Dick,Long ago i rember seeing lots of very flat ground and windmills.If i rember right The Pallace was in Amsterdam and you could walk right up to it? I also rember the Canals,Guilders,and a few other things i will not speak of.Bud.PS,Champion X as compaired to cheaper plugs.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:31 pm:

The benifits of using Synthetic oil vice conventional oil in a model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:34 pm:

Ball bearing forth main vice babbitt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:38 pm:

Dick,Long ago i rember seeing lots of very flat ground and windmills.If i rember right The Pallace was in Amsterdam and you could walk right up to it? I also rember the Canals,Guilders,and a few other things i will not speak of.Bud.PS,Champion X as compaired to cheaper plugs.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:46 pm:

A Chevy 490 was made better than a Model T... hardly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:27 am:

Jim Patrick mentioned oak vs. hickory spokes, and I thought I'd chime in on that one with a point that seemingly few are aware of. American carmakers used the American hickory because of it's ability to bend without breaking, where British carmakers used English oak for the same reasons. I did some research on this some years ago after reading that a British car had oak spokes and I thought that was odd, until I found some information concerning the properties of the English oak and its similar characteristics to the American hickory. From what I could dig up, there is a lot of difference between the oak species that grow in Britian and the ones growing here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:20 am:

Bud, you remember correctly. Flat ground and windmills describes a lot of the country, and the Palace in Amsterdam is on Dam Square and it is possible to walk right up to it. (Getting inside is a different story, of course.) No one from the Royal Family actually lives in that palace - it's used for ceremonial occasions. The Queen lives in a different palace in The Hague.

Did the things you saw that you're not speaking of involve windows and goods on display? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:27 am:

Ah, yes, window shopping in Amsterdam. . There I was, carrying my 3 month old son, with wife and mother-in-law in tow. Shows what can happen when you walk to a restaurant listed in "Europe on $5 a Day."

Actually, it was a highly rated Indonesian restaurant, well above the $5 category.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:30 am:

Um, it was reistafel, the Bali?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:00 am:

Ralph, I seem to recall a Bali Restaurant when I was there, but that was over 30 years ago. There's a Dutch club in Orange County - the AVIO - that has a weekly rijsttafel, I believe. There are a lot of Dutch-Indonesians living in SoCal. My theory is that, after Indonesian independence in 1949, many of them moved to Holland. After one or two winters there, they left in search of a warmer climate and ended up in California.

I had a friend who was a Roman Catholic priest and an Air Force chaplain stationed at the American base near Soesterberg. The first time I visited him in Holland, he took me sightseeing in Amsterdam and the "windows" were one of the things he showed me. He commented that he often took visitors to see them and said, "If I'm ever hit by a car down here, I often wonder what I'll tell my bishop."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:52 am:

Dick,I can't say as just thinking about it caused me to post and repost!Compression starts,free starts,and starting on the switch.Yup,I even rember a toilet that was two places for your feet and a sqare hole maby 6"X6" and nothing else??Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:12 pm:

Ok, I'll jump in here, while we are "whippin dead horses", what ever became of all those "Doctor Coupes?"

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration