Rear hub removal problems/Clayton's '26 roadster update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Rear hub removal problems/Clayton's '26 roadster update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:07 pm:

I am in need of some advice on my '26 roadster project . I finally came across a set of nice 26/27 wire wheel hubs for my car. The frunst went on fine of course, but the old rear hubs WON'T COME OFF! I made a set of wire wheel adapter hubs from a set wood wheel hubs which I have had off the car several times using the correct T rear hub puller (the thread on type). This time I put on the puller, tightened up the clamping bolt and proceded to tighten up the puller. Instead of pulling the hub off, it pulled the puller off the hub destroying the threads on both in the process. I cleaned up the threads and go the heavy duty puller on it and the hub WILL NOT GIVE! I don't want to destroy another puller or any of my other tools...what is my plan of attack?

I also have new pictures of my newly completed top! I will post these very soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:12 pm:

Loosen the hub nuts one turn, replace the cotter pins and take a short, fast ride over a bumpy road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:14 pm:

Try loosening the axle nut drive around the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:21 pm:

If you use James or Mike's idea, It will work even better if you have a puller screwed on and the bolt turned down while driving over bumps or around the block. Drive just enough to loosen. You don't want to destroy the keyways in the axles.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:38 pm:

I am currently unable to take the car out at this time, as I am working on a few other issues as well. The hubs I had built were also not al that true (needless to say they had a bit of a wobble to them) and I think that may be why they are on so darn tight. Since I can't move the car, are there other ways? Get a puller that bolts to the lugs and just going till it comes off? heat the hub up and give it a pull? Don't want to break anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:53 pm:

Clayton,
When you are using the T hub puller are you hitting the bolt as you turn it? If not, tighten the bolt then knock it with light to medium blows for about 10 times, turn the nut some more and repeat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:00 pm:

I had the same problem with My TT. I had had the wheels off before. Just tightened them too tight I guess. I tried the driving in circles. I tried driving down my dirt road. I tried jacking it up and letting it fall 3-4 inches. All to no avail. I finally got a puller. Tightened the bolt. No luck. Tightened the bolt and popped it with a hammer and brass drift. No luck. (During one of these hits, I let the hammer glance off of the brass drift and hit my shin. That's been over a month ago, now and I still have a knot on my leg like you wouldn't believe, but that's another story). I finally tried rocking it back and forth from low to reverse, low to reverse, with the puller on and the nut backed off only a half turn. Worked like a charm!

I know you said you couldn't drive the car right now, but if it's where you can push it, you might try pushing it one way or the other and having someone slam on the transmission brake. Could probably do this in the shop. You probably wouldn't have to roll it more than a couple of feet in either direction before locking 'em up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:13 pm:

Hal-Glad the rocking trick worked for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks for input! I will give these a shot in the next day or so. I have the rear wheels off right now, but I will see what I can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:49 am:

The best luck I've had removing hubs is with the tool that threads over the end of the axle and that you whack with a hammer, (a big one). Jack up the far wheel and keep a wrench on the "knocker" to be sure it stays tight and that the axle end is bottomed out in the knocker device. Otherwise, thread damage can occur.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:30 pm:

Thanks to all for the help. I did get them off and they did put a hell of a fight! I had to use a commercial puller, loaded it up as much as I could then beat on it with a large hammer, load it up some more, hammer and repeate. When it finally gave...it went flyin' !

Here are (as I promised) the photos of the top completed.

The new topthe top agian

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration