Did Henry ever say it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Did Henry ever say it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson (Aust) on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:36 pm:

"A customer can have any colur he wants so long as it is black"
I remember reading on here several years ago that there is no documented evidence that he actually said these words.
But when I was at "The Henry Ford" museum last year, the staff seemed to take great delight in pushing this and saying that it was true, he did say it.
We all, know the 'all black' story, but I just want to know if Mr. Ford actually ever said these words.
My curiosty is getting the better of me.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:54 pm:

Can't say for sure if he actually said it, but I have heard that he did, all my life and, knowing about the man and how stubborn and obstinant he could be, it sounds like something he would say. Jim. See: www.modelt.org/tquotes.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 05:15 pm:

Rob,Do you have a copy of Tin Lizzie by Stern??If you read it severalo times you will see referance to [Things] that do actually do exist that would tell many tales!!!The Benson Ford Center is close by and Everything is there you just have to know what to ask for?? Sorry,I promised to keep it to myself but if you find the right question Its There!!!?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 08:36 am:

I don't know if he ever said that, but he did indeed write it in his book "My Life and Work" (1922)
http://books.google.com/books?id=DeYw_wMlwqoC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=and+I+remarked :+%22Any+customer+can+have+a+car+painted+any+colour+that+he+wants+so+long+as+it+ is+black.%22+I+cannot+say+that+any+one+agreed+with+me.&source=web&ots=6kZz64j3Ak &sig=CKvHAgGP-bAa8cVnwo_2kf1318E&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
In his recollections from 1922 he claims to have said that in 1909 - but still coloured Fords were sold many years after that (recently it was suggested here on the forum 1915 coupelets were sold in other-than-black & from 1924 grey tourings were built in the Copenhagen factory, so the black only rule may only have lasted for less than half of the T production years)

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration